Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Ugly GM stereos....

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2004, 09:25 PM

Ugly GM stereos....

I really think Delco needs to fire all it's designers and start anew...

I am really tired of seeing this ugly stero as a "premium" option. It sounds good...but really makes it hard to have a sporty interior. Worst part is, most of the difference in the systems is in the speaker and amps. One guy on ClubGP crossed the wires on one hook up, and it started saying Bose when you trun it on instead of Mosoon like it should....so I am guessing all the differences are in the speaker system?

GM does have a better one with the new G6 radio...but I have already seen it in like 4 new models...

Is it that expensive to make them look slightly different?
Old 08-21-2004, 10:07 PM

Re: Ugly GM stereos....

I dunno.. but if there's one thing I hate its when they integrate them into the HVAC. That SUCKS ***. Try fixing it or replacing it down the road.
Old 08-21-2004, 10:45 PM

I don't like the AutoEq or AutoTone.
Old 08-21-2004, 10:50 PM

That first picture is sooo ugly. I thought you were talking about the speakers or something when I clicked onto this topic though. I'm going to go ahead and pretend you were referring to them and add my 2 cents . "If I see speakers like all those tuners put in their cars I will throw up ."
Old 08-21-2004, 11:10 PM

I know what you mean man but their goal is to make the stereos easy and cheap to mass produce. One of the many down sides of modern cars.
Old 08-21-2004, 11:52 PM

The one in my Maxx is very similar to the one in the G6. There are some things different, but its a large improvement over the last delco radios. The buttons and ***** have a good feel to them.
Old 08-22-2004, 12:58 AM

I am really tired of seeing this ugly stero as a "premium" option. It sounds good...but really makes it hard to have a sporty interior.
I disagree totally. I like the appearance and functionality of my 04 CompG's stereo very much. It matches the decor of the interior perfectly, and it's nice to see it flush-mounted instead of behind a free-sliding bezel as was found on the previous generation of GTP dash. I like the larger RDS display... the intuitive controls... and the effective illumination, which IMHO is much more effective than the backlit LCD displays found on certain other competitors. The buttons are also easier to operate while wearing winter gloves than some competitors' units. Looks plenty sporty to me. If you want to downgrade your interior to G6, go for it. But say goodbye to integrated HUD/XM and other leading-edge features found in the CompG.
Old 08-22-2004, 04:19 AM

For popularity's sake it would probably be best if GM would team up with an aftermarket company, other than Bose. Let them design the system for the midrange and small "tuner" cars like the Cobalt.

I must say that those new ones look considerable better than the traditional Din and a half GM radio that has plagued ever GM car since the 1980s.

From an operational standpoint, if they'd just create a higher quality radio... I could deal with it looking kinda ugly. I'm personally and fond of the "stock" look even when you have two 12"s and three amps in the car. Especially in GM vehicles where a regular DIN radio looks stupid and out of place. If they could just make a little bit better output quality (not watts). Then there would be little need to change a head unit for those into HQ sound. Every EQ I've seen other than the 7(maybe 6) band manual EQ that was in the TransAM and other Mid 90's pontiacs. My Venture has a "AutoTone" feature that absolutly sucks.

But then again, a few more watts never hurt anyone!
Old 08-22-2004, 06:39 AM

I never really considered the appearance of radios so long as they get the job done...what about Ford's stockers? They are still using the same nasty monochromatic green displays on their systems that look like something straight out of 1984.
Old 08-22-2004, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by BigDarknFast
I disagree totally. I like the appearance and functionality of my 04 CompG's stereo very much. It matches the decor of the interior perfectly, and it's nice to see it flush-mounted instead of behind a free-sliding bezel as was found on the previous generation of GTP dash. I like the larger RDS display... the intuitive controls... and the effective illumination, which IMHO is much more effective than the backlit LCD displays found on certain other competitors. The buttons are also easier to operate while wearing winter gloves than some competitors' units. Looks plenty sporty to me. If you want to downgrade your interior to G6, go for it. But say goodbye to integrated HUD/XM and other leading-edge features found in the CompG.
Dude,

Mabye the features are nice but If I showed the general population a picture of that radio and asked them what year car it came out of, they would most certainly NOT say 2004. Lol, that looks just like a delco unit I had in my 1989 Grand Am.
Old 08-22-2004, 07:49 AM

I've never really had a problem with the looks of GM's stereo's (or steering wheels since that was another thread) in general...
Old 08-22-2004, 11:22 AM

Personally I like both...I've always like the radios GM has put in their cars. I'm sure there are some out there that I wouldn't like, but I have yet to seem them.
Old 08-22-2004, 11:28 AM
cmc

http://www.autodeadline.com/detail?s...54960&mime=JPG
http://gallery.machined.net/albums/i...hvac_radio.jpg (closeup)

Notice clean lines, lack of AC integration... looks like a production radio, too! Just begging to be replaced with a nice aftermarket head unit and a sunglasses pocket.

Last edited by cmc; 08-22-2004 at 11:36 AM.
Old 08-22-2004, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by formula79
I really think Delco needs to fire all it's designers and start anew...I am really tired of seeing this ugly stero as a "premium" option.
I fabbed that one into my 95 TA ....I happen to like it alot and think it looks right at home in my car . pic .

Compared to other radios from the big 3 , I think the new(er) GM double din radios look better and fit the interiors fairly well . However , those radios would look way outa place and cheap set in some of GM newer interiors with flush mount ( as opposed to rolled ) interior gaps . I think the radios in the vette , cobalt and G6 is a pretty good looking head unit . GM has so many cars it'd be hard to see them putting a unique radio in each one , thats why you see the same basic radios in each car with a faceplate and backlighting suited for the whatever brand its in .
Old 08-22-2004, 07:31 PM

It's Delphi, not Delco

Quick Reply: Ugly GM stereos....