Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Too many Ions.

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2003, 10:58 PM

Too many Ions.

GM to stop Saturn Ion production for 2 weeks

Reuters / June 17, 2003

DETROIT -- General Motors said on Tuesday that it will halt production of its slow-selling Saturn Ion small car for two extra weeks to cut inventories of unsold vehicles.

GM will stop building the Ion at the Spring Hill, Tenn., plant where the car is made for the weeks of June 23 and July 14, before and after the industry's traditional two-week shutdown in early July, Saturn spokeswoman Sherrie Childers Arb said.

Saturn will begin building the 2004 model Ion when production resumes the week of July 21.

"We want to adjust inventory levels so that for 2004 (model year), we minimize what's on the ground," Childers Arb said.

Despite high consumer incentives, sales of the Ion have been slow since the car, Saturn's replacement for the S series, went on sale in October of 2002. Saturn also halted production of the Ion for two weeks in March.

Inventories of unsold Saturn sedans stand at 110 days' supply, Childers Arb said. The Saturn "quad coupe" which has two small rear doors, went into production a few weeks ago and has 43 days' supply. Automakers typically aim to keep about 60 to 70 days' supply of a vehicle.

Saturn's U.S. sales of Ions and remaining S series small cars have totaled 49,431 through the first five months this year, down from S series sales of 53,952 over the same period last year.

GM will also increase production of its Saturn Vue compact SUV by about 10 percent when it starts making the 2004 model in August.

Vue sales are up 53.5 percent to 33,622 units this year. GM will offer a new 3.5 liter V-6 engine on all Vues this fall, replacing the optional 3.0 liter V-6 engine.
Old 06-18-2003, 12:08 AM

Re: Too many Ions.

Originally posted by Z284ever GM will offer a new 3.5 liter V-6 engine on all Vues this fall, replacing the optional 3.0 liter V-6 engine.
Does this mean that they will no longer have a base 4-cylinder engine? And does this mean that all will come AWD? A little hard to imagine that this V6 will also come in FWD.
Old 06-18-2003, 01:09 AM

I would have never guessed...I see Ions EVERYWHERE around here. I thought they were hitting off pretty well w/ the youth of America...but guess not...
Old 06-18-2003, 01:40 AM

I just bought a 2003 Red Ion-3 Quad-Coupe loaded with black/gray-leather, sunroof, ABS, traction control, Side Airbags, CVT tranny, 6-disc in-dash CD player with upgraded speakers for under $18,500. My local Saturn dealer gave me the $600 upgraded sound system at no charge plus a $1000 rebate plus I got 0% financing for 5 years (the 0% financing is like an additional $3000 rebate making the car closer to $15,500).

My local Saturn sales rep drove 40 miles personally to pickup the exact car that I wanted from another dealer. The car I bought was actually used in the "Price is Right" TV game show but since no one won it last month it was returned to the dealer and my sales rep went and got it and drove it back to my local dealer.

While Im glad Im still keeping my Camaro Z28 (with 97,000 miles on it) for the weekends and etc. the Ion Quad Coupe is a great car and is really versatile with the 2 cool suicide doors in the rear to make it easier to get my kids in the back. While its no racecar it is fun and nimble to drive and while many have been very criticle on its interior, I really like the interior since I got the Leather interior and it has white gauges. The thing I have to do is get rid of its ugly (PLUS +) looking 16 inch wheels and put some aftermarket 17 inchers on in a week or two.

My wife drives our 2003 AWD v6 Saturn Vue and she loves it and its funny how many women come up to her and ask questions and compliment her about the Saturn Vue. Im telling you that these women act like the Vue is a Corvette or something- its just plain weird.

Last edited by johnsocal; 06-18-2003 at 01:52 AM.
Old 06-18-2003, 08:08 AM

Re: Re: Too many Ions.

Originally posted by muckz
Does this mean that they will no longer have a base 4-cylinder engine? And does this mean that all will come AWD? A little hard to imagine that this V6 will also come in FWD.
The 4cyl will still be in production.
Old 06-18-2003, 09:03 AM

Thumbs up

Originally posted by johnsocal
I just bought a 2003 Red Ion-3 Quad-Coupe loaded with black/gray-leather, sunroof, ABS, traction control, Side Airbags, CVT tranny, 6-disc in-dash CD player with upgraded speakers for under $18,500. My local Saturn dealer gave me the $600 upgraded sound system at no charge plus a $1000 rebate plus I got 0% financing for 5 years (the 0% financing is like an additional $3000 rebate making the car closer to $15,500).

My local Saturn sales rep drove 40 miles personally to pickup the exact car that I wanted from another dealer. The car I bought was actually used in the "Price is Right" TV game show but since no one won it last month it was returned to the dealer and my sales rep went and got it and drove it back to my local dealer.

While Im glad Im still keeping my Camaro Z28 (with 97,000 miles on it) for the weekends and etc. the Ion Quad Coupe is a great car and is really versatile with the 2 cool suicide doors in the rear to make it easier to get my kids in the back. While its no racecar it is fun and nimble to drive and while many have been very criticle on its interior, I really like the interior since I got the Leather interior and it has white gauges. The thing I have to do is get rid of its ugly (PLUS +) looking 16 inch wheels and put some aftermarket 17 inchers on in a week or two.

My wife drives our 2003 AWD v6 Saturn Vue and she loves it and its funny how many women come up to her and ask questions and compliment her about the Saturn Vue. Im telling you that these women act like the Vue is a Corvette or something- its just plain weird.
Seems Saturn still has a top notch dealer network. I've never heard of any other dealer going to that length for a customer. Also sounds like your Ion is an excellent deal for all the things it came with.

Didn't want to wait for the Redline model?
Old 06-18-2003, 09:04 AM
slt

My wife drives our 2003 AWD v6 Saturn Vue and she loves it
My gf had to drive one when her car was in the shop and she loved it too. She was actually a bit sad to give it back. She really liked the way the 5 speed auto felt.
Old 06-18-2003, 09:35 AM

I'm not normally a doorgap fetisher (I drive a '66 Corvette, well duh) but the new Ion seems like the only car I might be able to squeeze into without opening a door or window. They seem worse than the outgoing Saturns.

But I agree, I see scads of them around here. They must be selling to someone.
Old 06-18-2003, 11:44 AM

I love the suicide doors, maybe once the redline comes out they will sell better. Saturn needs a Halo car.
Old 06-18-2003, 01:16 PM

The 2003 Quad Coupes are actually selling really well and they are actually a little hard to find right now since they started making them so late in the model year (march/April).

The Redline QC should be a fun car but I needed to a car ASAP with better back seats with easier entry for my 2 year old son and before my next kid is born at the end of this August.

My local Saturn dealer did tell me that Saturn will be offering an aftermarket (dealer installed) Supercharger for all Ion Sedans and Coupes with the 2.2 Ecotech within the next year to go with the new 2004 Turbo 2.0 Ecotech Redline Ion QC. I guess they figure they can offer the supercharger as an option for those who already have Ions or those who want Supercharged Ion sedan and etc.

The Ion QC Redline wont start production to around March/April 2004.

I still must confess that nothing is as fun to drive and as comfortable to sit in as my 94 Z28. I happy that I can still keep the Camaro for those beautiful Californian Days and pop-off the T-tops and go cruise down PCH.

Last edited by johnsocal; 06-18-2003 at 04:41 PM.
Old 06-19-2003, 12:27 AM

Since I have my new Quad Coupe parked next to my 94 Z28 I can honestly say that the door gap panel spaces are significantly smaller on the Quad Coupe the on my Camaro. The Camaros gaps between the doors, rear hatch and hood are much larger then that of the Quad Coupe.

All I can say about this whole gap panel issue is that its way over blown. I rather have slightly larger gaps with the non-denting polymer body panels then have my car riddled with door-dings within a year.

I can live with larger panel gaps but I cant live with door dings and dents all over my car

Last edited by johnsocal; 06-19-2003 at 12:29 AM.
Old 06-19-2003, 07:34 AM

All I can say about this whole gap panel issue is that its way over blown. I rather have slightly larger gaps with the non-denting polymer body panels then have my car riddled with door-dings within a year.

I can live with larger panel gaps but I cant live with door dings and dents all over my car

ABSOLUTELY!!!!!