Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Are there going to be any changes to the CTS interior?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2004, 08:18 PM

Are there going to be any changes to the CTS interior?

It seems like that is the only thing that people seem to not like about the CTS. Not only is it small and makes you feel cramped, but IMO i isnt that well designed. the center console kinda protrudes to the driver way to much and doesnt seem like it fits properly. It seems too big.

pic 1
pic 2 look at how big the console is
pic 3 look at how much space the glove compartment takes up

The interior is what killed it for my dad when he was shopping for a new car a few months ago (ended up with an ES 330 which i always forget how nice and plush taht car is, especially for 31k). Our general consensus at the dealership, from just sitting in it, was it was too small, poorly designed, and the seats (especially the back) weren't all that comfortable.

I love the CTS and would love a CTS V, but whenever i think about owning one (although for me personally it wouldnt happen) the interior always kinda drags it down to me. I've heard many other people say that its a great car, just really small interior.

anyone else have similar opinions or anythiing?
Old 06-27-2004, 10:47 PM

I belive the CTS gets a full make over some time in the next year or so. I liked the CTS's interior and thought it was nice. It could be worked on, but over all it wasnt all to bad. I liked it. Hopfuly the STS's interior proves to be the standard for all caddies soon. That interior is awesome!
Old 06-27-2004, 11:37 PM

The worst thing about it is the center of the dash, I've forgotten the technical term, but where the radio and HVAC controls are . The instrument cluster is fine, the wheel is fine. The door panels could be tweaked a bit, but other than that, it's not so bad, and doesn't feel all that small to me, but we have the lighter interior so maybe thats why. Black interiors always seem smaller to me. I thought the seats were great, but to each his own. Would have liked to have had lumbar adjustments.
Old 06-28-2004, 07:35 AM

I've driven a CTS a few times... I really liked it and didnt really have any problems with the interior...

The center stack, from what I read, was supposed to look a bit like a computer tower to give a 'techy' feel to the inside.

I can see, though, how some might not like it... as it might stand out too much for them...

I, personally, dont have any trouble with it... I think it is distinctive in a way that is not ugly or clumsy.

Last edited by Darth Xed; 06-28-2004 at 08:09 AM.
Old 06-28-2004, 07:49 AM

I loved the CTSv interior when I sat in it at the NYC auto show.
Old 06-28-2004, 09:01 AM

I hate the dash in front of the passenger... it very plain and bland...and huge! Was very dissapointed. Not to menssion how hard it will be to clean once a bit of dust and dirt settle in to all those ltitle squares.... stupid design if you ask me...and UGLY
Old 06-28-2004, 09:13 AM
Banned

Re: Are there going to be any changes to the CTS interior?

Originally posted by 0toinsanein5.4sec

The interior is what killed it for my dad when he was shopping for a new car a few months ago (ended up with an ES 330 which i always forget how nice and plush taht car is, especially for 31k). Our general consensus at the dealership, from just sitting in it, was it was too small, poorly designed, and the seats (especially the back) weren't all that comfortable.

1. The 2005 base CTS gets vinyl (leatherette) seating. I see Cadillac is following BMW's lead, at least when it comes to cheapskate moves that stick it to the consumer.

2. The biggest functional problem with the interior is the lack of a proper handbrake, something a manual transmissioned car shouldn't be without.

3. The cheap, poorly adjustable steering column is crap.

4. The cheap, tacky dash is crap.

5. A better interior would help the CTS, but so would higher standard equipment levels, a better-engineered performance flagship and dealerships that aren't paired up with Chevy franchises.