Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

test drove a new malibu

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2007, 07:37 AM

test drove a new malibu

This was an LTZ car with the 3.6. I'm just going to say WOW! The interior was really nice, the ride was really nice, and the exterior really does look much better in person. It had a lot of power and the A6 was really nice.

IMO the new malibu is as nice or nicer than the new accords and camry.
Old 11-18-2007, 09:07 AM

I haven't driven the new Malibu yet, but sat in one (LTZ) at the Charlotte Auto Show. Overall Very impressed, but noticed 3 areas that were a little less than my expectations.

The rear seat headroom was less than I expected. I'm only 6' and I didn't have enough head room in the back seats. There was a sunroof and that may have cut into the headroom.

The trunk is nice and large, but the trunk opening was a bit smaller than I expected. Still, the big trunk could fit several bodies if you had the need...

My final issue is where I was really dissappointed. There's a sliding cover for the cup holders in the center console. It was cheap and already broken... Given the overall quality of the new interior, that just pissed me off...

Still, I think the new Malibu is going to be a very good seller. I wish there had been a base model there.
Old 11-18-2007, 09:14 AM

I saw one in person this Thursday at the local Chevrolet dealership. Although I didn't drive it, I gave it a good once over. Much like the C6, Tahoe, Silverado, etc..., it looked much better in person. I was a bit apprehensive of the exterior when I first seen pictures on the internet.

I am still not a big fan of the brake lights, BUT, the rest of the car is very well done. The exterior & interior are amazing for a car at that price point.

I agree with what I read elsewhere, and if people don't cross shop the Malibu when looking for a Camry then they are doing themselves an injustice.
Old 11-18-2007, 10:06 AM

I can't comment on the rear headroom, but the rear legroom looked very good. I'm 6'4" and the salesman sat behind me and had plenty of room. That being said, the car was overall a lot bigger than I expected.

My wife is a honda person, (her dad is a plant manager at Honda marysville) and she was impressed with it also.