Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Tesla Model S Hits 60 MPH in 3.9 Seconds, Misses EPA Range Estimates by 11%

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2012, 03:14 PM

Lightbulb Tesla Model S Hits 60 MPH in 3.9 Seconds, Misses EPA Range Estimates by 11%

Those are pretty good numbers for a car of this size. I still would have range anxiety though. You never know when you will hit gridlock traffic or other scenarios that will eat power.

All-electric Model S runs the 1/4 mile in 12.5-seconds at 110.9 mph

It’s doubtful that many people believe manufacturer estimates when it comes to fuel efficiency or driving range for electric vehicles. The driving range for electric vehicles obtained in government tests is often a far cry from real world numbers. On public roads, driving range for an electric vehicle depends on the terrain, how heavy the driver's right foot is, and even the temperature.

The guys over at Motor Trend have laid hands on a Tesla Model S and set out to get a real world driving distance. The car used for the driving distance test is a Model S Signature Performance 85, and this particular vehicle happened to be Tesla CEO Elon Musk's personal ride. The test of the Model S also involved putting down some performance numbers, which enthusiasts will be interested to hear.

The big four-door Model S was able to hit 60 mph in 3.9 seconds. It also ran a virtually silent 12.5-second quarter mile pass at 110.9 mph. Those are impressive numbers for a gasoline-powered sedan, putting the Model S Signature Performance 85 in the same company as the BMW M5 and the Mercedes CLS 63 AMG among others.

The real question though is how far can the car drive. Being able to hit 60 as quick as an AMG badged Mercedes is impressive, but not so much if the battery pack is dead shortly thereafter. The largest battery pack available in the Model S is rated by the EPA at 265 miles in extended range mode.

After the performance testing was done, the car was completely recharged even though it is only consumed what the onboard computer said was 13 miles of range despite the quarter-mile passes and other performance tests. The real world driving distance test took place in California heading towards San Diego via Interstate 15 before hitting the I-5 and then the picturesque Pacific Coast Highway. The map showed the driving distance to be 240 miles.

Motor Trend says that the test was conducted with the air conditioner off, but ventilation on, cruise set at 65 mph, and the body lowered on its air suspension for driving distance. Apparently, the car was 1.7 miles short of making it the full 240 miles in real world traffic. Rather than run out of power the tester plugged the car and to get the extra few miles of driving range.

Motor Trend figures the real world driving range is 238 miles in their testing, 11% short of the claims 265.
Source: Motor Trend
Old 08-29-2012, 06:46 PM

Re: Tesla Model S Hits 60 MPH in 3.9 Seconds, Misses EPA Range Estimates by 11%

Originally Posted by Slappy3243
You never know when you will hit gridlock traffic or other scenarios that will eat power.
When you're stopped in traffic the electric motor shuts off to conserve power.
Old 08-30-2012, 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by jg95z28
Ha. What about the radio and A/C on a hot day or the heater on a cold one?
Old 08-30-2012, 07:41 AM

What's the sticker price? I think I saw Tesla claiming a base price of 49,900 after the tax credit. I guess that's not bad for an electric luxury sedan with that kind of performance. I was expecting 7 series money.
Old 08-30-2012, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by Z28Wilson
What's the sticker price? I think I saw Tesla claiming a base price of 49,900 after the tax credit. I guess that's not bad for an electric luxury sedan with that kind of performance. I was expecting 7 series money.
The model reviewed is the most expensive, most powerful and is over $100,000. The base model ($49,900 after tax credit) is quite a bit slower and has considerably less range.
Old 08-30-2012, 07:52 AM

Keep in mind the battery stores the energy equivalent of 2.5 gallons of gasoline. If somebody drove 238 miles on 2.5 gallons of gas in a large, high performance car, we'd all say it was a hoax.
Old 08-30-2012, 10:33 AM

Is that the one where if the battery drains completely, you have to replace it (for $40,000)? I bet GM could double the all-electric range on the Volt if they put that little asterisk on the bumper to bumper warranty like Tesla did.

-Geoff
Old 08-30-2012, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by routesixtysixer
The model reviewed is the most expensive, most powerful and is over $100,000. The base model ($49,900 after tax credit) is quite a bit slower and has considerably less range.
Ok yeah, that explains it.
Old 08-30-2012, 02:43 PM

If only there was some way to put a gas generator in an electric car for long range trips.
Old 08-30-2012, 05:19 PM

I still like my idea of battery service stations and having battery packs that can be "hot swapped" in 10-15 minutes.

You place them every 100-200 miles along the interstate. You incorporate the battery service station with a regular gas station and/or fast food restaurant. Instead of purchasing gas, you lease the battery packs and pay a service fee each time you swap them out. The packs are then recharged on-site and "leased" to the next customer. (Think of it like those LPG replacement tanks at gas stations, supermarkets and hardware stores... drop off the empty, get a full tank and pay a small fee.)

Of course this would all require the manufacturers to get together and standardize the battery packs, carriers and methods for "hot-swapping" them. But in theory it could be done easily... it would just take capital. (Money.)

There just isn't enough demand currently to implement such a venture. However in 10-20 years, there could be.
Old 08-31-2012, 07:37 PM

Might as well make 'em hydrogen fueling stations too... whatever happened with that???

The last place I worked at had lots (and I mean a lot) of hydrogen powered fork trucks.
Old 11-12-2012, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by jg95z28
Yes, however the torque used by the motor in getting the car rolling just to be stopped again over and over uses quite a bit more juice than simply cruising for the same amount of distance traveled. Still, 238 miles is pretty freaking good for an electric car with this kind of practicality (besides the price). That's only a couple dozen miles short of my old Z28 before needing a refill. As charging stations start popping up more and more I think the market will respond in a significant way in favor of electric cars. Hopefully Elon Musk will help make it happen!
Old 11-13-2012, 09:48 AM

Stop and go mileage (city) on an EV is usually better than highway. Regenerative braking charges the batteries.
Old 11-14-2012, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by Z28x
Stop and go mileage (city) on an EV is usually better than highway. Regenerative braking charges the batteries.
The other issue is that electric motors don't make as much power, nor are they as efficient, at higher RPM. Hence the Volt getting gas motor assistance at higher velocities.
Old 11-17-2012, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by Z28x
Negative. For any given average speed and assuming level ground the EV would get better mileage if it just remained in constant motion. If EVs actually did get better mileage by stopping and going repeatedly then that would mean EV's get an ultimate surplus of energy from the energy exerted to get going in the first place which would mean... free energy! And we all know that isn't true. The regenerative brakes can't recoup more than 100% of energy spent in getting the car rolling at a given speed. Thus, if the car just remained in motion without having to stop and then get going again it would get better mileage. Just because EV's get better mileage in the city it doesn't mean that a gridlock situation would result in beneficial mileage. The EV would get better mileage if it were to just continue to stay in motion.