Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Ssr?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2003, 01:26 PM

Ssr?

Im fairly new to the site so Im going to bring up a question thats really been bothering me but probably has been discussed already. When I saw that the SSR was coming out, I saw my next vehicle. I know theres mixed opinions about it but I think its hot. I was pretty heartbroken to learn that its going to run around $40,000, maybe more. What the hell is GM's justification for charging that much? Why is it they can make a fully loaded Z71 for just over $30,000 but they stick a truck engine in a small frame and charge that horrendous sticker price? Is GM trying to totall alienate young buyers from the performance market? Now that I know how much it costs, I give it maybe 3 years on the market before they cut it loose.
Old 04-28-2003, 01:36 PM

Re: Ssr?

Originally posted by USHotRod
Now that I know how much it costs, I give it maybe 3 years on the market before they cut it loose.
That's probably about as much of a run as GM has planned anyhow.
Old 04-28-2003, 01:41 PM

Re: Ssr?

Originally posted by USHotRod
Im fairly new to the site so Im going to bring up a question thats really been bothering me but probably has been discussed already. When I saw that the SSR was coming out, I saw my next vehicle. I know theres mixed opinions about it but I think its hot. I was pretty heartbroken to learn that its going to run around $40,000, maybe more. What the hell is GM's justification for charging that much? Why is it they can make a fully loaded Z71 for just over $30,000 but they stick a truck engine in a small frame and charge that horrendous sticker price? Is GM trying to totall alienate young buyers from the performance market? Now that I know how much it costs, I give it maybe 3 years on the market before they cut it loose.
You and me both! I've loved the SSR concept from day one, mainly because of the styling cues lifted from the 48-53 Advance Cab Design pickups (I used to own a 51).

When they announced the price, I knew there would be no way I'd ever be able to convince my wife that buying one would be a good idea. I was deeply heartbroken, and consoled myself by buying a '67 RS Camaro.