Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

SRT-8's to get 6.4L? 500 hp?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2007, 05:29 PM

I would be suprised if the new re68 wasn't an option.
Old 01-21-2007, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by Bob Cosby
LOL. Ummm.....Mr Grain, please meet Mr Salt.

I would suggest that noone knows what, when, or how much. At least not yet.

Bob

Well plans do change.
Months prior it was the 6.2 going in the BOSS and Mustang GT,
but as per Fourcam, the plans have changed.... and can change again.

Things change, doesn't mean the info is bad or best guesses...
Old 01-21-2007, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by Z284ever
That's all good stuff. But I think it's going to be pretty tough to get 550 normally aspirated horsepower out of 6.4 liters - especially since emissions are going to be tightening up again soon.
Emissions, gas guzzler tax adding to the cost, and the economic feasibility are the things that would prevent this. So the crate may be up to 550, but the engine in the car 500.
Old 01-21-2007, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by boomer78
Well plans do change.
Months prior it was the 6.2 going in the BOSS and Mustang GT,
but as per Fourcam, the plans have changed.... and can change again.

Things change, doesn't mean the info is bad or best guesses...
I wouldn't doubt it if Ford finally ditched the mod motor by 2010. The lsx have been around for a long time, so they've had plenty of time to study them and make their own version.
Old 01-21-2007, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by 91Z-28
I wouldn't doubt it if Ford finally ditched the mod motor by 2010. The lsx have been around for a long time, so they've had plenty of time to study them and make their own version.
well that is if LSx motors are suddenly OHC multivalve VVT engines.

Theres nothing to study on an LSx motor, it's not some sort of revolutionary powerplant producing ungodly amounts of specific output on tree hugger friendly teddybear farts. The LSx motors are very refined OHV engines that prove without a doubt there is no replacement for displacement.

I'm more than certain that when the Boss motors come out, they will be OHC engines, probably in a 2 (maybe 3) and 4 valve layout with VVT. The big distinction between the MOD motor and the Boss motor being one of displacment with Ford probably going to oversquare and/or square bore/stroke ratio. Hell if all the Boss motors turned out to be were mod motors with a bigger bore/bore spacing and increased displacement that'd make a big difference in HP/TQ alone.
Old 01-21-2007, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by bossco
Hell if all the Boss motors turned out to be were mod motors with a bigger bore/bore spacing and increased displacement that'd make a big difference in HP/TQ alone.
That is actually what I have been assuming they would be for quite a while.
Old 01-21-2007, 11:39 PM

Here's my wrap up so far....

Circa 2010, Camaro will have to compete with an under 4,000 lbs, Challenger SRT8, with a 6.4L, 500 hp hemi. A lower priced, 425 hp, 6.1L, R/T will also be available.

Also, by '10/'11, the mod motor will be replaced by the Boss motor in the Mustang. It will be all aluminum and sport SOHC's and 2v per cylinder. It will be available in 5.8L and 6.2L. So figure curb weights closer to a Mustang GT, rather than a GT500. Production hp is unknown, but prototypes are rumored to have been dyno'd up to 600 hp.
Old 01-21-2007, 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by bossco
well that is if LSx motors are suddenly OHC multivalve VVT engines.

Theres nothing to study on an LSx motor, it's not some sort of revolutionary powerplant producing ungodly amounts of specific output on tree hugger friendly teddybear farts. The LSx motors are very refined OHV engines that prove without a doubt there is no replacement for displacement.

I'm more than certain that when the Boss motors come out, they will be OHC engines, probably in a 2 (maybe 3) and 4 valve layout with VVT. The big distinction between the MOD motor and the Boss motor being one of displacment with Ford probably going to oversquare and/or square bore/stroke ratio. Hell if all the Boss motors turned out to be were mod motors with a bigger bore/bore spacing and increased displacement that'd make a big difference in HP/TQ alone.
I presume that means they'll be quite large then. If the current mod engines are the size of a big block, then a mod engine with even larger displacement would be ... well, bigger. Maybe not quite as tall if they have a shorter stroke?
Old 01-22-2007, 05:20 AM

All good. Love the American smallblock!
Old 01-22-2007, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by Z284ever
Here's my wrap up so far....
Circa 2010, Camaro will have to compete with an under 4,000 lbs, Challenger SRT8, with a 6.4L, 500 hp hemi. A lower priced, 425 hp, 6.1L, R/T will also be available.
The 6.4 will have more than 500 hp. On the other hand, it will probably be more expensive than the equivalent GM offering, and we'll be getting into the question of "how big IS the $50k hi-po V8 muscle coupe market, anyway?"
Old 01-23-2007, 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by teal98
I presume that means they'll be quite large then. If the current mod engines are the size of a big block, then a mod engine with even larger displacement would be ... well, bigger. Maybe not quite as tall if they have a shorter stroke?
Probably, but if Ford can knock down the stroke, rod length, and piston height then you can bring things in a bit. That still leaves the cylinderheads though, and I can't think of anybody that has an OHC cylinderhead that is as compact as an OHV unit, so the the V8 will still be pretty big. Not that it matters much in the current mustang. The car was made to fit the 5.4 DOHC V8 which I guess is something like 31 to 32 inches wide. Then again anything other than a mod motor in the engine compartment looks kinda wierd with all that space around it.
Old 01-23-2007, 06:47 AM

I have a hard time beleiving that a 6.4L can make 500hp for a production car.

It only has 2V heads afterall. I mean Mercededs 6.2L has 4V heads and amkes 503hp. You need to rev it pretty high and have lots of airflow.
Old 01-23-2007, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by 305fan

It only has 2V heads afterall. I mean Mercededs 6.2L has 4V heads and amkes 503hp. You need to rev it pretty high and have lots of airflow.
Well, you make a good point. However, in a Hotrod Magazine (or some similar publication), they compared a 6.1L Hemi (found in current SRT8s) to the early carbed 426 hemi. They made similar power. On the engine dyno the fuel injected 6.1L made either 450 or 455 hp.

So, if they used the SAE rating for today's 6.1L hemi, they might rate it at ~450hp.

That puts the 6.4L @ ~475, now add in small improvements, and ~500 is believable.

Mike
Old 01-23-2007, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by 305fan

Do you really need to rev the 6.2L Mercedes high? I thought the tq was around 465 lb-ft (ls7 has what, 475?) and I thought the redline was "only" just a bit higher than 7000 rpms... I think the overall dimensions are very surprisingly similar to the LS7's weight and size too.
Old 01-23-2007, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by georgejetson
550 is the number being suggested by other Mopar insiders for horsepower on the new Hemi. One of the design goals for the SRT Challenger is to significantly outperform the GT500.
Originally Posted by KLee
Talking to some of the SRT engineers at the SRT experience ..... the production weight goal was below 4000 lbs for the Challenger.
I wonder if they'll be successful with their goals? (sub-4000lbs, and GT500 killer). If so, then we "may" have something to worry about in the Camaro camp .

BUT, has the weight "goal" of the Camaro not been to stay "close" to the former ~3500 lbs model? (realistic #'s of ~3600 - 3700 lbs??). And I have faith in the LSx engines as far as power is concerned.

Well, I guess we wait and see what the Dodge boys come up with?

Quick Reply: SRT-8's to get 6.4L? 500 hp?