Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

The soul is coming back at Pontiac

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2005, 08:35 AM

The soul is coming back at Pontiac

On the way into work this morning, I did my usual drive through the lot before getting out of my car, checking out the new cars that came in during the week. This week, my (I call them my, because I'm back ordering all our inventory again Talk about trust...letting your Saturday-only, 25 year old salesman order your stock ) silver GP GXP and emerald green G6 GTP SIX SPEED came in I have yet to take it out on the road, but earlier this morning I sat in it, drove it around the lot a little and banged through first, second and third. WOW. In second, the VVT kicks in around the 2800 RPM torque peak, and you're just gone. A full review is pending, about 3 hours from now on my lunch break But I thought I'd get this thread started...

Between the revised GP interior and the GXP package, putting the blown 3800 and 17s on the GP GT...between the aggressive looking coupe with 240hp and a 6 speed...from the GTO to the Solstice, Pontiac is waking up. I know I started a doom and gloom thread here a few months back about the future of Pontiac. If they can keep rolling like this...if they get a revised GP in a couple years, and a fresh GTO...if we can get a competitive small Pontiac Cobalt like we're supposed to get for '07...

I think Pontiac is going to be great. It hasn't been since '02, when I had a lot full of Firebirds and GTPs that looked just RIGHT and flew off the lot, that I've had this much fun studying the lot in the morning. With a lot soon to be full of 6 speed G6s, GXPs, supercharged GTs, with a few Solstices and GTOs thrown in for good measure, sure...GM is having problems. But looking out at that lot, there's a lot to be excited over.
Old 09-10-2005, 10:19 AM

Re: The soul is coming back at Pontiac

Solstice is the best news Pontiac had in a long time. But you right,the GXPs and GPT G6's (paticulary with the 6 speed) are helping.

So you order cars eh? Don't order them all loaded up with crap! Not everyone wants to pay for that stuff
Old 09-10-2005, 11:04 AM

I might just cruise by the Pontiac dealer today. Been DYING to see a Solstice! Please, God, have them make a lighter-weight coupe version...
Old 09-10-2005, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by Dan Baldwin
I might just cruise by the Pontiac dealer today. Been DYING to see a Solstice! Please, God, have them make a lighter-weight coupe version...
I am starting to think you might be interested in a Solstice if they made a coupe version.
Old 09-10-2005, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by RussStang
I am starting to think you might be interested in a Solstice if they made a coupe version.
i think Dan would be sold on a turbo coupe . they should weigh in alittle less than the verts.
Old 09-10-2005, 12:31 PM

I'm curious to see how a 6 speed G6 GTP compares to my SVT Contour. Frankly, the few G6 GT's I've driven have left me pretty cold. If the GTP, turns out to be as fun to drive as my SVT, (which I sort of think it won't )...I may consider it during new car purchase time.
Old 09-10-2005, 12:33 PM

as true as that might be, pontic still needs a true contendor.

with the GTO possibly bowing out in the next 24 months, is the GXP and G6 enough to keep the fire alive in pontiac?

I would love to think so, but i dont see it happening.
Old 09-10-2005, 01:04 PM

Damn Jason, you got my hopes up. I thought you were gonna mention some news on the return of the Firebird. It is good news finally that Pontiac seems to have some worthwhile and exciting products now. I need to go to my local dealer and see if they have a Solstice in (though they said they weren't gonna sell it to bring in traffic, stupid dealers ) But hopefully Pontiac can keep it up. So what is the news with the GTO? I'm confused, I hear it's gonna be revised and then that after '06 it's gone? What's the latest on it?
Old 09-10-2005, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by Z284ever
I'm curious to see how a 6 speed G6 GTP compares to my SVT Contour. Frankly, the few G6 GT's I've driven have left me pretty cold. If the GTP, turns out to be as fun to drive as my SVT, (which I sort of think it won't )...I may consider it during new car purchase time.
Don't bet against it, Charlie 40 extra HP, 18s and the hydraulic steering go a long way to making up for the GT's sins. Add in the 6 speed, and its a whole new ballgame. I did drive that GTP 6 speed at lunch, followed by our sole '06 GXP Needless to say, it was a great lunch

My choice? As much as I love the 6 speed and the interior and exterior styling of the GTP coupe, I have to give the nod to the GXP. That V8 makes your palms sweat, the sound is pure and raw, the styling is great (especially in silver...and I normally hate silver!!!), the features are great...it just screams "Bad *** Pontiac" at the top of its lungs...more so than a GTO even, IMO. The handling is icing on the cake.

Have I mentioned before as soon as I get my new job next spring (stopped the hunt temporarily due to having to pay back part of my MBA reimbursement if I leave before 12/31 ), I'm in the market for a GXP? MC SS just isn't bad enough for me...GXP screams it at the top of its lungs!!!
Old 09-10-2005, 03:00 PM

Jason, how was the 6-speed in the GTP? Is it also an Aisin unit or is this a new GM tranny? My GTP should be here in 2-3 weeks. I can't wait
Old 09-10-2005, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by Jason E
Don't bet against it, Charlie 40 extra HP, 18s and the hydraulic steering go a long way to making up for the GT's sins. Add in the 6 speed, and its a whole new ballgame. I did drive that GTP 6 speed at lunch, followed by our sole '06 GXP Needless to say, it was a great lunch

My choice? As much as I love the 6 speed and the interior and exterior styling of the GTP coupe, I have to give the nod to the GXP. That V8 makes your palms sweat, the sound is pure and raw, the styling is great (especially in silver...and I normally hate silver!!!), the features are great...it just screams "Bad *** Pontiac" at the top of its lungs...more so than a GTO even, IMO. The handling is icing on the cake.

Have I mentioned before as soon as I get my new job next spring (stopped the hunt temporarily due to having to pay back part of my MBA reimbursement if I leave before 12/31 ), I'm in the market for a GXP? MC SS just isn't bad enough for me...GXP screams it at the top of its lungs!!!
I like the GXP a whole bunch too. I'm just not sure if I can have a long term relationship with an auto trans car though.
Old 09-10-2005, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by Z284ever
Funny you should say that. I've been wondering recently how the Contour SVT compares with some of the hot FWD cars recently.... including the G6 GTP.
Old 09-11-2005, 09:43 PM

Jason -

Thanks for starting this thread. I'm optimistic about Pontiac's future. They've got some great vehicles now (Solstice, GXP Prix, G6 GTP, GTO) and more on the way no doubt. I'm absolutely enthralled by the GTO. Whether it keeps continuity in production or not, it makes an unmistakeable message today and will most likely be even better in a post-MY06 version if the current one is any yardstick.

I can't really find the words to describe driving the new GTO. It's exactly as I'd like a V8 RWD 2+2 to be... power, torque, graceful but firm handling, sleek and modern shape, good ergonomics, good value. It's very difficult to not break out into a smile when you hit the gas

The wifey and I came to an agreement on the matter. I'm selling/trading both my Formula and my GTP and will have an 05 GTO very soon
Old 09-11-2005, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by maksik7
Jason, how was the 6-speed in the GTP? Is it also an Aisin unit or is this a new GM tranny? My GTP should be here in 2-3 weeks. I can't wait
maksik,
Its funny, when I got out of the car, I looked back at it and I said to myself "Damn, Max is gonna have fun with his" You will enjoy it. I THINK Aisin makes the tranny, but honestly don't know. Put it this way...I'm surprised if GM all of a sudden pulled a FWD M6 out of thin air...so I'm thinking its Aisin. The throws are reasonably short and accurate, if somewhat notchy (think OEM F Body Hurst), however I would be willing to bet the notchiness will subside a little as it breaks in.

It pulls HARD...I didn't have it over 65 or so, but I will say, it loves to rev, and it loves to MOVE. And the engine is, dare I say, Honda smooth Its smoother than a 3800 for sure, and is every bit as refined as the last Honda V6 I drove ('04 Accord EX). It doesn't sound the same, feel the same or act the same as any other 60 degree GM OHV V6 I've ever seen. Its a phenomenal engine...one that I hope gets due respect from the press.

Charlie and Guy,
I have tremendous respect and love for the SVT Contour. Its funny there's two owners on this board alone, whereas I've only seen 2 others in my life on the road A close friend in high school...his father had one. We took it out one night, and the moves that car could make were impressive, to say the least. It pulled hard and cornered extremely well. When I graduated later that year (1998), I was extremely close to trading in my recently-given '89 RS on a beautiful maroon/tan leather '96 Contour SE V6 5 speed. That SVT ride left quite an impression on me, but I kept the slow little RS and time moved on.

I honestly believe if an SVT owner drives a GTP with the optional $150 3 season tires (I don't know the make), they will be impressed. The engine is certainly more capable, the steering is far superior to the GT (is it SVT level? Can't say for sure...), and the damping is excellent. The only thing I noticed was during a charge down my favorite backroad (the dealership is only 2 miles from where I grew up...we lived off a phenomenal, smooth back road with lots of S curves with changing elevations ), the GTP felt a little uneasy when accelerating through a right turn where the road dipped down, then made a sharp sweeping left turn back up. This is something the GXP flat charged through

I drove both these cars back to back. Like I said, it was a great day Charlie, I hate the fact there is no M6 in the GXP. Its all the car needs to be truly the greatest all around performance car GM has right now...I mean that sincerely. The visual effect, IMO, is so much more aggressive with the GXP compared to the GTO, and that means a lot to me. Its within a few ticks 0-60 of the LS1 Goats, the outside is more aggressive, the chassis is amazingly planted, the brakes are phenonmenal...I could go on for an hour here about how much I love that car. I hate silver in general...but I love silver on this GXP. Its the perfect color for it. The dash, admittedly, still is not my favorite...but the GXP upgrades combined with the '06 upgrades make it a very nice, comfortable interior. A 10 minute ride reminded me why I originally had a hold on the sport red '05 GXP we had...

In summary, again...the style of the G6 in and out, combined with the control of the 6 speed make it a winner, to me. But man...that GXP would make me lose my license. Its like comparing an Accord Coupe to what a 4 door F body would have been. Its amazing...the GXP says "Bad *** Pontiac" more than the GTO. I may be alone in saying this, but I would honestly take a GXP over a GTO for an everyday car...despite losing 100hp, a 6 speed and RWD. I'm obssessed with this car I've driven GTOs...they are a phenomenal drivers car. But its amazing what some attitude and a sunroof does for a car
Old 09-11-2005, 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by Jason E
I may be alone in saying this, but I would honestly take a GXP over a GTO for an everyday car...despite losing 100hp, a 6 speed and RWD.
You know what Jason....I might agree with you. I like the GTO, but the GXP almost seems like a better developed package to me. It's amazing how well the GXP's chassis works......and it's brakes!...the LS4 is just the burbling frosting on the cake.

I wonder how close a GXP and GTO would be around a road course?

Quick Reply: The soul is coming back at Pontiac