Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Some early numbers: 2013 GT500 convertible is 3.5 sec faster then the '12 GT500 coupe

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 11:58 PM

Re: Some early numbers: 2013 GT500 convertible is 3.5 sec faster then the '12 GT500 c

Originally Posted by Steve0
I think the Cobra is a pretty sweet car, but I will be pretty surprised if it is able to keep up with a ZL1 on a road course. Articles I've read on the Zl1 make it sound very composed. The drag strip should be a close race as we all know there are diminishing returns when you're putting down this much power.

I actually prefer the method with which Ford is packaging the GT500. 95% of these cars will never see the road course, so why not give buyers the option to save $5000 and get a more street oriented car? Then again, who knows, I havent done the market studies. Perhaps people who are shopping for these cars want all the options and are willing to pay them. It's probably cheaper for GM to offer just one flavor of car as well, it sure makes manufacturing simpler.

Either way, both cool cars. To each his own!
Does Ford even make the Cobra anymore or has the GT500 taken it's place? I haven't kept up and all the names get confusing.
Old 02-09-2012, 12:05 AM

Re: Some early numbers: 2013 GT500 convertible is 3.5 sec faster then the '12 GT500 c

GT500 = Cobra
Old 02-09-2012, 07:45 AM

It would be nice if they would just drop the Shelby name from the car and give us the discount from the premium they are having to pay out in order to just add the dude's name to the car. I prefer it to be called Cobra anyway and save a few thousand dollars. The Shelby badge on a car doesn't do anything for me anyway considering it is just a badge and a hefty premium going to some super rich guy that is going to donate it to charity anyway.
Old 02-09-2012, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by smooth3d
That faulty logic, because you modding your car. This is straight from the factory, bud
So base car to base car, who wins that?

-Geoff
Old 02-09-2012, 11:44 AM

Drag strip, or road course??

I would say drag strip, the GT500. If you plan on running the car on a road course, you are going to get the options.

Ford gives you the choice, GM doesn't. Now, having a choice is bad. I would venture to guess that more of these cars will see the drag strip, then ever see a road course.

So, I guess we will have to see.
Old 02-09-2012, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by 94LightningGal
Drag strip, or road course??

I would say drag strip, the GT500. If you plan on running the car on a road course, you are going to get the options.

Ford gives you the choice, GM doesn't. Now, having a choice is bad. I would venture to guess that more of these cars will see the drag strip, then ever see a road course.

So, I guess we will have to see.
It is not good or bad, but if you are going to brag about making another car your "Bitch", you better put an asterisk on it if you going to charge extra for it. Because the fact is, that only some of them can. The base GT500 is a dyno queen. Always has been, always will be.

-Geoff
Old 02-09-2012, 12:54 PM

Having choices is not good or bad?

And speaking of paying extra....what is the MSRP on a base 2013 GT500? How about with the track package? I'd like to compare my final costs with that of the ZL1.

Thanks.
Old 02-09-2012, 02:18 PM

I guess when you give up on the straight line speed argument about the only thing left to argue over is handling unfortunately, although it that fails I guess we'll have to really grasp at straws and hope the Zl1 can brake better. Amazing how many road racers have suddenly popped up on the Camaro forums since the 5th gen has come around. I'm just glad there are 2 super performance options for muscle car fans, unfortunately many are blinded by brand loyalty and can't fathom there might be a better car out there than their precious.
Old 02-09-2012, 02:20 PM

I would take this car so quickly over the GT500 coupe it would make the dealer's head spin.

Even without the added awesomeness of the droptop capability, the wheels alone are 10000x better looking than the nasty looking wheels they've been showing on the GT500 coupe. Maybe the wheels I've seen on the coupe are the ones from the performance package or something, but whatever they are, they suck a$$.

The split 5 spokes on this car are sweet. DAMN I'd love to have one (or a ZL1 droptop)!
Old 02-09-2012, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by STOCK1SC
It would be nice if they would just drop the Shelby name from the car and give us the discount from the premium they are having to pay out in order to just add the dude's name to the car. I prefer it to be called Cobra anyway and save a few thousand dollars. The Shelby badge on a car doesn't do anything for me anyway considering it is just a badge and a hefty premium going to some super rich guy that is going to donate it to charity anyway.
No sure I'm getting this.

Caroll Shelby earns money.....

He donates some of it to charity.....

You think Ford should drop his name from the car because he donates some money to charity......so you can save a few dollars on your next GT500 purchase????

I think I missed something while I read that..... mind clearing that up a bit?

FWIW....Ford puts Shelby's name on the car so Ford can make more profit by charging more..... It's not Ford has to charge more because they have to pay Shelby for his name.

Whatever Ford's paying Shelby in royalities per car, you can rest asured that it's barely a fraction of what Ford is actually making per car.

You would certainly reap no price benefit whatsoever if Ford dropped the Shelby name from the SVT Mustang, Ford would simply make a few more dollars profit. The ZL1 Camaro has a similar price. That money is going into GM's bank account.

Cars like this aren't made as a public service. these cars are made for people who are Mustang or Camaro fans that have a lot of money and want something different and potentially collectable that have racetrack credibility. The same can be said for ZR1 Corvettes.

If you're concerned about the price of a GT500 or ZL1, then you're not the buyer they're intended for.

.... and if old "superrich" Caroll Shelby decides to donate part of the money other well off guys are paying for his cars or his name on a Mustang to charity, then if anything, that's going to tend to make people in that market more likely (not less) to buy it.

And i'm sure Ford (or Caroll) don't mind that.

Originally Posted by WhiteHawk
It is not good or bad, but if you are going to brag about making another car your "Bitch", you better put an asterisk on it if you going to charge extra for it. Because the fact is, that only some of them can. The base GT500 is a dyno queen. Always has been, always will be.

-Geoff
I see your point, but I have 3 questions:

1. How much is the base ZL1?

2. How much is the base GT500 with that track option?

3. Is it worth it versus it's performance against the ZL1?

The answers to those questions can either make the whole "option" debate pointless, or make it one worth debating.

Last edited by guionM; 02-09-2012 at 02:49 PM.
Old 02-09-2012, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by guionM
No sure I'm getting this.

Caroll Shelby earns money.....

He donates some of it to charity.....

You think Ford should drop his name from the car because he donates some money to charity......so you can save a few dollars on your next GT500 purchase????

I think I missed something while I read that..... mind clearing that up a bit?

FWIW....Ford puts Shelby's name on the car so Ford can make more profit by charging more..... It's not Ford has to charge more because they have to pay Shelby for his name.

Whatever Ford's paying Shelby in royalities per car, you can rest asured that it's barely a fraction of what Ford is actually making per car.

You would certainly reap no price benefit whatsoever if Ford dropped the Shelby name from the SVT Mustang, Ford would simply make a few more dollars profit. The ZL1 Camaro has a similar price. That money is going into GM's bank account.

Cars like this aren't made as a public service. these cars are made for people who are Mustang or Camaro fans that have a lot of money and want something different and potentially collectable that have racetrack credibility. The same can be said for ZR1 Corvettes.

If you're concerned about the price of a GT500 or ZL1, then you're not the buyer they're intended for.

.... and if old "superrich" Caroll Shelby decides to donate part of the money other well off guys are paying for his cars or his name on a Mustang to charity, then if anything, that's going to tend to make people in that market more likely (not less) to buy it.

And i'm sure Ford (or Caroll) don't mind that.

I see your point, but I have 3 questions:

1. How much is the base ZL1?

2. How much is the base GT500 with that track option?

3. Is it worth it versus it's performance against the ZL1?

The answers to those questions can either make the whole "option" debate pointless, or make it one worth debating.
Sorry you don't get the fact that I don't feel I need to pay an extra couple grand just because a guy has his name on the car. I would rather save a few grand and just have the Cobra name since it's not like Shelby is doing any tweaking to these cars other than putting a badge with his name on it. That's what I'm saying although I'm sure you will have more words of wisdom since you are all knowing. Just because I have money doesn't mean I enjoy throwing it away on nonsense like badges, don't assume because I drive a Cobalt I can't afford something.
Old 02-09-2012, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by Steve0
I think the Cobra is a pretty sweet car, but I will be pretty surprised if it is able to keep up with a ZL1 on a road course.
It damn well better be able to beat a Cobra, I'd be pretty pissed if an 8 year old car with a chassis that has its roots before Reagan got elected beat my fancy 2012 super Camaro, because you know... they haven't made a cobra since 2004

On another note, its scary that alot of Ford guys are almost begging Ford to make the base GT500 sixty grand and want the fully loaded car to kiss seventy grand.

Originally Posted by guionM
You bring up something that I mention frequently to my Mustang chums who want to believe so badly that dropping the Shelby name will somehow bring a reduction in price or at the other end of the spectrum will somehow make a better performing car (since you know Shelby ::sarcasm::develops::sarcasm:: the car and not SVT )

Yet the undeniable truth is that the Shelby has sold better with a better margin than any SVT branded Cobra ever has.

Last edited by bossco; 02-09-2012 at 07:19 PM.
Old 02-09-2012, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by bossco
It damn well better be able to beat a Cobra, I'd be pretty pissed if an 8 year old car with a chassis that has its roots before Reagan got elected beat my fancy 2012 super Camaro, because you know... they haven't made a cobra since 2004
So you are saying that the GT500 is not a Cobra?
Old 02-09-2012, 09:59 PM

Yes he is saying that because that in fact is true, at least for the recent ones.

Last edited by HAZ-Matt; 02-09-2012 at 10:07 PM.
Old 02-09-2012, 10:02 PM

Unfortunetly both the ZL1 and GT500 are more likely to be the dreaded garage queens than anything.

Quick Reply: Some early numbers: 2013 GT500 convertible is 3.5 sec faster then the '12 GT500 coupe