Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Solstice replacing Sunfire?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2003, 09:33 AM

Solstice replacing Sunfire?

http://www.detnews.com/2003/autosins...f01-321903.htm

"With the Sunfire going away," Baum said, "they do need an entry product, and the Solstice has more pizzazz." "
Old 11-11-2003, 09:36 AM

Re: Solstice replacing Sunfire?

Originally posted by Z284ever
http://www.detnews.com/2003/autosins...f01-321903.htm

"With the Sunfire going away," Baum said, "they do need an entry product, and the Solstice has more pizzazz." "

I just don't see how a two-seater can replace an entry level car... it's not practical, which is what is probably most important in this market...
Old 11-11-2003, 09:44 AM

Exclamation Re: Re: Solstice replacing Sunfire?

Originally posted by Darth Xed
I just don't see how a two-seater can replace an entry level car... it's not practical, which is what is probably most important in this market...
Ditto.

Jeff
Old 11-11-2003, 10:02 AM

Note who that guy works for (NOT GM).
Alan Baum, head of automotive forecasting for Farmington Hills-based market research firm The Planning Edge,...
I really dislike some of these lame newspaper articles. I've written a few letters to correct errors they made (not this particular guy or paper; I'm talking in general). The Detroit Free Press ran a correction recently based on a letter I wrote them - http://www.freep.com/money/autonews/ford28_20031028.htm - I really took that guy to task because I got tired of seeing articles about the Hummer being "huge" or "so big that fuel economy rules don't apply" without mentioning that this doesn't make it special, and there are many bigger vehicles out there. These guys love to go out and find some consulting guru and get a few quotes to spice up their little stories.

I'm not saying this is an erroneous case; he probably just meant that the departure of the sunfire would leave space at the lower end of the price range for Pontiac. But still, it is easy to take what he said (or, more accurately, what the reporter reported him to have said) as the Solstice replacing the Sunfire. :blah:
Old 11-11-2003, 10:19 AM

Isn't the Pursuit coming in to fill the spot of the Sunfire?
Old 11-11-2003, 10:22 AM

Originally posted by stars1010
Isn't the Pursuit coming in to fill the spot of the Sunfire?
Oddly enough, not in the United States....
Old 11-11-2003, 10:25 AM

Oddly enough, not in the United States....
Wait I'm confused, what did I miss, can you explain?

Isnt it the Delta car for pontiac?
Old 11-11-2003, 10:26 AM

Wait I'm confused, what did I miss, can you explain?

Isnt it the Delta car for pontiac?
Delta platform is used for Chevy Cobalt and Pontiac Pursuit (as well as Saturn Ion).

but, for some reason, Pursuit will not be sold in the Untied States.
Old 11-11-2003, 10:32 AM

Re: Re: Solstice replacing Sunfire?

The Vibe also exists as an entry-level Pontiac and GM has had success with 2-seaters in this segment before (the Fiero had a very successful start and was considered a commuter car).

With the arrival of the Cobalt, I really don't see dropping the Sunfire as a problem. Replacing it with Solstice would also sure-up a more upscale and performance-oriented image for Pontiac. And to that end, where is BMW's Sunfire?...or in the same light, Mazda's?
Old 11-11-2003, 10:37 AM

Re: Re: Re: Solstice replacing Sunfire?

Originally posted by jrp4uc
The Vibe also exists as an entry-level Pontiac and GM has had success with 2-seaters in this segment before (the Fiero had a very successful start and was considered a commuter car).

With the arrival of the Cobalt, I really don't see dropping the Sunfire as a problem. Replacing it with Solstice would also sure-up a more upscale and performance-oriented image for Pontiac. And to that end, where is BMW's Sunfire?...or in the same light, Mazda's?
I remember a lot of talk about Vibe taking over for Sunfire when it came out, but it was too limited by being only a wagon.

I just don't see Solstice even coming close to beig a legitimate 'entry level' car... it's a sporty two-seater niche car.

I would never have considered Fiero to be Pontiac's entry level car when it was out... it was either Le Mans or J200/Sunbird.

True, BMW doesn't have a "Sunfire"... but they are working on the 1-series... plus I dont ever see Pontiac truely being on a BMW-level.

As for Mazda... here is their "Sunfire", IMO: http://www.mazdausa.com/MusaWeb/hand...modelYear=2003
Old 11-11-2003, 10:40 AM

Delta platform is used for Chevy Cobalt and Pontiac Pursuit (as well as Saturn Ion).

but, for some reason, Pursuit will not be sold in the Untied States.
No kidding? Where are they going to sell it? Canada?

BTW the Vibe is a pretty cool little car. I drove a GT a little over a year ago when a friend of mine was looking for a new car. Not my type of car but had a pappy engine, pretty cool interior and a descent price. Pontiac should get behind this car more. I'd say its a great entry level car.
Old 11-11-2003, 10:43 AM

No kidding? Where are they going to sell it? Canada?
As far as I understand ... yes... Canada.. there may be other markets too, but Canada is the only one I have heard for sure... very odd to me.

BTW the Vibe is a pretty cool little car. I drove a GT a little over a year ago when a friend of mine was looking for a new car. Not my type of car but had a pappy engine, pretty cool interior and a descent price. Pontiac should get behind this car more. I'd say its a great entry level car.
I agree... I just think the wagon-only body style keeps a lot of people away from it.

I wish the AWD engine had more guts... the hp is so low, and it is so slow...
Old 11-11-2003, 10:48 AM

Thumbs up

As far as I understand ... yes... Canada.. there may be other markets too, but Canada is the only one I have heard for sure... very odd to me.
Hehehe...everything's coming up Jeff.

Maybe I will pit Epica against Pursuit for the title of 'Champion of the Universe," Then retire to my 'hoose' to sustain myself on Ketchup Chips.

Jeff
Old 11-11-2003, 10:51 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Solstice replacing Sunfire?

True, BMW doesn't have a "Sunfire"... but they are working on the 1-series... plus I dont ever see Pontiac truely being on a BMW-level.

As for Mazda... here is their "Sunfire", IMO: http://www.mazdausa.com/MusaWeb/hand...modelYear=2003
I agree, it's hard to imagine Pontiac on a BMW level, but I do like where the new products are going (and share in a similar sporty image).

As for the Protege (sedan/wagon), does Pontiac really need a rebadged/nosejob Cobalt? They've survived without the Sunfire sedan now for at least a couple years. The most likely variation of the 1-Series to arrive in US will also likely be a six-cyl sedan (and in the mid-20s). There will be a G6 coupe and sedan in this segment.

Last edited by jrp4uc; 11-11-2003 at 10:55 AM.
Old 11-11-2003, 10:58 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Solstice replacing Sunfire?

Originally posted by jrp4uc

does Pontiac really need a rebadged/nosejob Cobalt? They've survived without the Sunfire sedan now for at least a couple years.
That's the big question...

Honestly... probably not... With Vibe, Solstice, and G6, they may be able to spread out Sunfire customers... with some jumping over to Cobalt.

I just don't see one of those Pontiac's replacing Sunfire... but, perhaps as a group they can.

Quick Reply: Solstice replacing Sunfire?