Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

So you want to save the Camaro name???

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2004, 10:24 AM

Originally posted by cytruffle
.........actually I DO have "Camaro SS" tattooed.....on my ankle!!

Go check out the thread from Red Planet about homework. This is right up your alley!
Old 03-11-2004, 03:31 PM

First I want to thank Jason for making this thread a sticky.

2nd, I want to relay back to everyone to keep it up & spread the word. Though I didn't expect it to happen this fast (shocked wouldn't be too strong a word), this IS creating a buzz at GM, and word is making it's way through the system.

You have gotten peoples attention, so things should get interesting.

The other thing that was brought up, that I need to pass on again is that your letters should not contain profanity or threats. Saying you'd be "damn glad if GM made Camaro again" is not profanity. But calling someone a "damn idiot" or alot worse is profanity.

We now have a file number, and we sent enough e-mail that GM came up with a form letter to respond to this, so no doubt it's making an impact.

Keep it up...... and spread the word!
Old 03-11-2004, 03:32 PM

Good post - BUT....

Personally, I would rather see a V8 RWD 4 passenger performance car priced under 30K called the "Pink Pansy", then have "The General" bring out a wrong wheel drive "Camaro" with a carrying handle on the back, a fart pipe, and some connestoga wagon wheels.

A heat gun takes care of nameplates, but a lame-*** car is forever.

Rest assured GM IS putting some nice RWD packages together - whether they will be called "Camaro" is totally last-minute. (remember the Pegasus/Fiero sillyness?)
Old 03-11-2004, 06:40 PM
ALMIGHTY MEMBER

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ULTIMTEORANGESS
[B]i dont mean to be negative but killing a car after 35 years and with no signs of any replacement is discouraging.tons of people sent letters and emails to GM pleading to keep the fbody and nothing was done.

yes i realize once a decision is made it cant be reversed but the indifference about the fbodies demise that GM had is very disturbing. )UNQUOTE)

you may THINK GM has been indifferent.....but you would be wrong. yes....there were those that barely noticed the car going on hiatus....but there were a majority that were not pleased that it was going on hiatus.

Look.....i've said it until I'm blue in the face....have faith. We are NOT going to tell you something just yet. You can threaten and take your business elsewhere and hold your breath until you pass out and throw tantrums....but we WILL NOT talk about it just yet.

THERE ARE REASONS.......reasons, that you have not even thought about ...and we're NOT gonna talk about them either.

REad my book in about 15 years and the light will come on.

Unless you are in this industry, you don't understand (and quite frankly, we can't expect you to understand.) There is rarely, if ever, ONE reason for something happening....it's usually dozens of things that happen in an order that make things like this happen.

Now......hush up and send your emails in!!!

Last edited by Fbodfather; 03-11-2004 at 06:45 PM.
Old 03-11-2004, 06:42 PM
ALMIGHTY MEMBER

Hey......emarkay.....you used FWD and the word "Camaro" in the same paragraph.

GO STAND IN THE CORNER AND STAY THERE UNTIL I SAY YOU CAN COME OUT!!!!!

A Camaro should never have fwd....that isn't in its DNA.......if you want FWD performance...wait for the supercharged Cobalt SS to arrive...........
Old 03-11-2004, 07:48 PM

Originally posted by Red Planet

REad my book in about 15 years and the light will come on.

[/B]
Sign me up as the first person to buy your book! You taking preorders yet?
Old 03-11-2004, 08:09 PM

I sent im my letter also.

Yeah I want a copy of that book too, Scott you better start writing now, this will be a great story to hear!

Long live the Camaro Z/28
Old 03-11-2004, 08:18 PM

I just sent in my letter as well. Hopefully they listen and a sweet 5th gen Camaro is eventually produced.
Old 03-11-2004, 08:39 PM

Hey Red, could i get one of those too? possibly autographed
Old 03-12-2004, 12:17 AM

Talking

what no working title yet???

All Camaros are REDPlanet's

OR

ALL CAMAROS ARE RWD

Last edited by 67 LS-1 & T-56; 03-12-2004 at 12:23 AM.
Old 03-12-2004, 07:17 AM

I hope my email wasn't taken as a threat. It was just my honest opinion that at the moment there really isn't anything at GM I could see me buying as my next car if I was looking right now. Fortunatly I've still got a few years to go until the 2002 is payed off and I can go looking for a new car.

I just put it that way, because well GM is a business and I think that I am part of a certain group of car buyers that currently has no vehicle available for them in the GM lineup, but am interested in seeing GM add a vehicle for us, because for over 30 years, they did have the best.

Hell, I'll just send another email and say that
Old 03-12-2004, 07:23 AM

Hi, please pass this on to Bob Lutz if you passed my last one on. I had sent one of these messages before, talking about the Camaro's I've owned in the past, and commenting how you all really don't have anything I'd purchase right now in the GM line up. I just wanted to send another note to say that I wasn't making threats to take my business elsewhere or anything. I've still got a few years of payments on my 2002 Camaro before I can think about a new one, so my note was to let you know that I am interested in GM bringing a Camaro back, and that if there's a Camaro (RWD, V8, 2+2 seating) available when I'm ready to go looking again, you will have a repeat buyer (uh again).

Like I posted on the forum (camaroz28.com) where I got linked to this for --- "I just put it that way, because well GM is a business and I think that I am part of a certain group of car buyers that currently has no vehicle available for them in the GM lineup, but am interested in seeing GM add a vehicle for us, because for over 30 years, they did have the best."
Old 03-12-2004, 10:11 AM

"Hey......emarkay.....you used FWD and the word "Camaro" in the same paragraph."

No, as the murderer of John Lennon is "The man who's name we must never mention," I used the proper and appropriate term "wrong wheel drive"

"GO STAND IN THE CORNER AND STAY THERE UNTIL I SAY YOU CAN COME OUT!!!!!"

Please Scott, no! My wife is away for the weekend and I wanna go out and play in the street - With my Camaro!

"if you want FWD performance..."

Now YOU have said the ultimate oxymoron! - Go take a Supercharged SS Impala out and embarrass some ricebois - and then go home and be glad you still have a Camaro (I hope you still have one!)

Scott, all the best, keep up the EXCELLENT work, and as for faith - Well, if Mel Gibson makes a movie out of THIS story, maybe then I'll go see it.

MRK
Old 03-12-2004, 12:30 PM

Hey RP,

I can barely wait till 07 for my new Camaro, how do you expect me to wait 15 year for the book!?
Old 03-12-2004, 09:51 PM

i sent mine in. here it is.

i am the owner of several gm products , mainly 3rd gen iroc-z's (3 of them an 86, and 87 and an 89) and an 89 firebird formula. i am gm loyal, but the cars that gm has put out lately have not been drivers cars (excluding the vette), which makes me angry when i look at ford and dodge put out cool cars that are performance driven.
why would you kill the f-body mark anyway, ford never killed the mustang because they were smart enough to know that if they did they would loose loyal customers to gm and dodge. and they respect the mustang and even the thuderbird name, not just slap it on a front wheel drive car and say here you go.

the only car i would consider buying from gm right now would be the cts-v and the corvette, because those cars are fun to drive.
i would buy a new gen camaro if you made one as long as the styling was not screwed up and it comes with a v8 manual and is rwd. the gto (holden)is a good car but is overpriced for what it is, and the f-body loyalists want the z28/ss or the trans am /firehauk, not a heavy replacment like the gto.
to me the car i wanted when i was young was an iroc-z, because it was a camaro and it looked cool, and had performance. so when i got my first job, i saved up for my first iroc, and then i found the right one, my 87 iroc. to me the camaro is my passion, yea sure corvetts are nice, but the cost runs most people away. cost does not run me away because i could have bought a vette with as much money i have spent on my other cars, i choose the iroc because it is a drivers car, and i like fun to drive cars, as do thousands of other people.

i would like to thank you for reading this message and hope it gets to the right people.
please make the f-body again, make it a fun, fast, good handling, and come with a good price, then you will have a hit again.

i would like to request to have this message forwarded to Product Chairman Bob Lutz.

thanks
anthony r wathan jr

Quick Reply: So you want to save the Camaro name???