Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Should I sell my Camaro or keep it?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2003, 03:26 PM

I say sell the Camaro and move up a few years to a LS1 car, more of what you have now just newer!
-Wanna buy my 2002 Z28 A4?????

If I were out to buy a new car today, I think I'd stop to see the 04 Grand Prix GTP, I like the Ion and I think it has a lot of utilitarian use for such a small cheap pkg. A Mini Cooper S (I know you said its too small but I love the go-kart on the street mentality) and then stop by the 'ol Ford SVT dealer to look at 03-04 Cobra's or Lightnings. They are too fast and have too much potential to seriously pass on, unless you absolutely hate Ford or Mustangs. Beyond that the Neon SRT-4 is a serious performer for a lower-back friendly price. Or wait for a 04 GTO.......

Its a good time to be a car buyer right now!
Old 05-05-2003, 05:15 PM

Originally posted by 99SilverSS
I say sell the Camaro and move up a few years to a LS1 car, more of what you have now just newer!
thats what i would do.
Old 05-05-2003, 06:27 PM

Moving up to an LS1 Camaro was one of my first ideas but since it is still just a newer version of my Camaro, my wife would still be scared to drive such a large and fast car and when she sits in it she thinks its so big that shes afraid she's going to run it into something.

Last year I thought about buying the 35th anniv. SS model but I couldnt justify spending $35,000 for basically the same car I already have had for 9 years.
Old 05-05-2003, 07:10 PM

Why not get a used LS1 Camaro??? that is what I did, 2000 SS with 16,000mi on it.

as far as new cars go... the only one you mentioned that I would get is the G35, but then that brings up the fact that is you can wait you will be able to get a 2004 GTO fro about the same price as the G35, with an LS1 Both the GTO and G35 should be about at the same level of luxury.

Happy car shopping.
Old 05-06-2003, 09:29 AM

Lightbulb

johnsocal, it just dawned on me we cruise the same street. My place in LA is on PCH by the traffic circle, and I cruise down th "Surf City" pretty often. Should hook up sometime!
Old 05-06-2003, 10:23 AM

cool

I live in Los Alamitos and I work in Huntington Beach. During the week I usually shoot up Katella to Bolsa Chica/Valley View st on my way back and forth to work but on the weekends I drive down PCH between Long Beach and Newport for a Sunday cruise.
Old 05-06-2003, 08:56 PM

There are alot of cars i like in the 35-40 grand price range but the time you add tax, license, and insurance costs it become more difficult for me to justify it.

A $700 monthly car payment is a little extreme even for a car-nut like myself since I like to have money left over in my car budget to modify my car and keep it fun and unique for years to come. When you add that the average 1,500+ sqft. home out here in Socal in a nice area is around $400,000.00-$500,000.00 and it becomes rather obvious that the cost of just living out here (which I love) has its sacrifices.

While anyone who has ever visited Southern California will notice the tons of new and expensive cars all over the place I can guarantee that alot of people living out here are living well outside of their own means. Out here in LA-LA land everyone wants to pretend they got the Bling-Bling but in reality they are just living in a fantasy land.

Last edited by johnsocal; 05-06-2003 at 09:07 PM.
Old 05-06-2003, 09:41 PM
Banned

Originally posted by johnsocal

A $700 monthly car payment is a little extreme even for a car-nut like myself since I like to have money left over in my car budget to modify my car and keep it fun and unique for years to come. When you add that the average 1,500+ sqft. home out here in Socal in a nice area is around $400,000.00-$500,000.00 and it becomes rather obvious that the cost of just living out here (which I love) has its sacrifices.

Are you saying that a decent house is only $500,000 in Huntington Beach? I thought that decent digs cost about $3,000,000 these days - or about $10 milion if you want to live on the beach in Malibu. Of course, the greatest irony is that you see 20 year old BMWs and Mercedes in the garages of those multimillion dollar homes.

It's too bad real estate values are so inflated in California, because its really starting to constrain even wealthy peoples' lifestyles.
Old 05-07-2003, 12:38 AM

Unfortunately that 1/2 million dollar home wont even get you a view of the ocean or the beach, just a nice remodeled house made in 1960's in a nice kept-up neighborhood.

A fixer-upper or tear-down waterfront house in Huntington Harbor will set you back about a Million and a half and the same house in Newport Harbor would be about 2 million.

All the luxury car dealers I have talked to out here say that everyone leases and not many people actually buy a Mercedes, Lexus, Infiniti, Bmw ,Caddy, and etc because they are all trying to get the luxury car to fit their lifestyle and neighborhood.

The only time you see old junker cars outside expensive home is usually those people having been living in that house for decades and before housing prices really started to appreciate. Most people out here could not afford to buy thier own house today if they had to buy at todays prices and if they had to start from scratch.

You dont see many people with a million dollar house driving a brand new Ford Focus now do you?

Last edited by johnsocal; 05-07-2003 at 12:44 AM.