Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Saw the 130R - Review inside

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 01:49 PM

Re: Saw the 130R - Review inside

I do think that in order for the Camaro to thrive and not just survive past the 5th Gen it needs to get smaller and lighter to adapt to a changing industry. Not a drastic change but if this 130R was Camaro styled the right way on Alpha roughly 3500-3600 lbs I think it would be a hit.

I think the Camaro needs to be Chevy's small RWD coupe instead of coming up with a car to slot in below it.
Old 02-14-2012, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by jg95z28
The current Camaro is priced out of the market for young import buyers. It is quite obvious that GM is currently marketing the new Chevy Sonic toward those buyers, not Camaro. Camaro is something for their parents or for them when they get older and have a little more money. To take Camaro backward in evolution and try to make it an entry point sport coupe for young buyers would be a huge mistake. That is not to say there shouldn't be an entry point coupe for young buyers in the Chevrolet line-up, where right now none exists. However what several of us older buyers fail to understand is in today's world, 20 somethings prefer 4-doors. The majority do not flock toward 2-door coupes. Therefore while a small portion would be sold to this demographic, the majority would be purchased by older drivers looking for a cheap coupe. (Cheaper than Camaro.) For this, the 130R is perfect. However they're not going to sell as well as the larger Camaro.
From what has been said by Chevy and GM about the 130R and 140S is that their research is showing that young people don't want just 4 door sedans. I do believe GM will be surprised how many 130Rs could be sold outside of the millennials they are targeting. Many GenX'rs like me, have been wanting a compact, RWD coupe from Chevy. I have since I've been driving. I have a 4th Gen camaro and I don't mind the compact interior. I just would like the exterior and interior dimensions to match better.
Old 02-14-2012, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by 97z28/m6
that car doesn't exist anymore.

how many of those youth bought that brand new? whats the average age of a new wrx owner? i bet it won't be below 25.

that was my point. thanks for the help.

and they don't now because they cost too much as you just stated what "youth" buyers DO buy.
Correct on the counts of the WRX and GTS, but the point stands that the WRX has a younger demographic than an SS) early 30s vs early 50s) and the GTS went almost exclusively to younger buyers. You can throw the Mitsubishi Eclipse in there too. But here's the points I want to make (perhaps explained better on my part):

Young and 1st time buyers are 2 different things. First time new car buyers are going for the cheapest thing they can find that serves their purpose. That's not just sticker price, but equally important is insurence. Size is also more important. Meanwhile, "young" buyers are buyers up to the mid to late 20s who have a little money saved up, and can be more expressive in their purchase. Even though current Camaros and Mustangs are priced right in their ballpark, demographics show that it's 30-somethings that are buying new Camaro and Mustang V6s.

At the moment, that's not exactly a bad thing. Camaro & Mustang are the top selling coupes in the US, and even the Challenger tops pretty much every import coupe in sales. Plus, those 30 and 40-somethings (median age range of buyers) tend to load up their pony cars with options.
Old 02-14-2012, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by posaune
From what has been said by Chevy and GM about the 130R and 140S is that their research is showing that young people don't want just 4 door sedans. I do believe GM will be surprised how many 130Rs could be sold outside of the millennials they are targeting. Many GenX'rs like me, have been wanting a compact, RWD coupe from Chevy. I have since I've been driving. I have a 4th Gen camaro and I don't mind the compact interior. I just would like the exterior and interior dimensions to match better.
I'm interested in a production 130R as well, and I'm a GenXer. However, I have yet to see any evidence outside of speculation on this website and others that a large enough amount of under-30s would prefer a small coupe over a small sporty sedan. All the evidence I have seen, including conversations with several millennials, show the majority prefer a small sedan. Create a 4-door version of the 130R and I think you'd have something... which is why I've been saying all along that Chevy needs a family of Alpha based vehicles (coupe, sedan, wagon, etc.).

I'm just not convinced, nor will I ever be, that the 130R styling is appropriate for a future generation Camaro. While I do like it, I just feel that it should be called something else. Go ahead and build the 6th gen Camaro on Alpha, just give it Camaro proportions and heritage styling like the 5th gen. (I also don't believe that an Alpha Camaro would be significantly smaller and lighter than the Zeta Camaro when all is said and done.)
Old 02-14-2012, 09:54 PM

I saw the 130R in person at the chicago auto show and I like it!
that car would be fun with 270-300Hp, and it looks good too. great size for a 6th gen camaro
Old 02-15-2012, 09:28 AM

up here a v6 stang is 21k..a camaro is 27k. 6k more. too me thats over priced.

even a 21k stang is i bet a bit too much for "youth" buyers.
They have some crazy pricing in Canada. In the US, the gap between the Camaro and Mustang is much narrower.

Mustang starts at $22,310
Camaro starts at $23,280

Is your price comparison between base models, or models with comparable content, and not advertised sale prices to bring people to the lots?
Old 02-17-2012, 04:55 PM

up here a v6 stang is 21k..a camaro is 27k. 6k more. too me thats over priced.

even a 21k stang is i bet a bit too much for "youth" buyers.
It just dawned on me....

..... is that $27K canadian dollars????