Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Reid, Pelosi Urge Treasury to Extend Aid to Automakers

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 03:33 PM

how much money would GM need? Recent news reports say they plan to give the big 3 25 billion???correct me if im wrong but that does not seem like very much at the current rate GM is sending money out. Is the 25B just for starters?
Old 11-12-2008, 03:59 PM

The idea of simply giving a vault full of money to GM isn't what I'm talking about. I get a feeling that's what's coming across in my opinion.

My view that loan guarantees must be offered to GM comes with the stipulation that changes be made. In management as well as organization.

Simply letting GM fail is simply not an option. It will drag down the rest of the industry if not the economy.

How much of a percentage did the housing collaspe ad to unemployment? Very little. But the repercussions to the economy were enormous. Just think what the collaspe of GM will have on the economy.

You must understand that in economics, things have consequences. One failure in a key industry will have an adverse effect on another. Something that influences 7 jobs fort each one lost is something that can not be taken lightly.

GM needs help. Even if you have to fire the entire uper management and board of directors in the process.
Old 11-12-2008, 04:25 PM

GM's business model has to change.
They have WAY too many management types. Just layers over layers over layers. That needs to go.
There are too many decision makers in the company. That needs to be pared down to 3-5 guys (Lutz would need to be one guy that stays).
The company needs to learn quickly, and move even quicker. When it takes 18 months for an idea to go from idea to production, but 2-3 years just to make a decision on that idea, something is wrong.
There is just too many politics inside GM. I've read stories about managers who do what they do just to protect their little empire. That kind of thing HAS to stop.

The UAW does need some changes. They don't need to be wiped out, nor do their salaries and benefits need to be decimated. Work rules need to be modernized and there should be no protections for employees who fail to do their work in a satisfactory manner, just for starters.
Old 11-12-2008, 04:48 PM
Banned

I'm sure there will be some "strings" attached; probably similar to those already imposed on those who have received bailout money (caps on management salaries, no golden parachutes), etc. but those strings will do nothing to change what needs to change at GM.

Its current management (anyone at the VP level and above) as well as its BoD needs to be GONE as does every UAW contract...they need as clean a slate as possible. Most of their plants need to be closed as does a huge number of their dealerships.

They simply don't need a Pontiac/GMC/BUICK/Chevrolet/Cadillac/Saturn/Hummer...all they need is one truck division (such as GMC) and perhaps two car divisions (base/premium such as Toyota has with the Toyota/Lexus model).

They have a moral and legal obligation to their retirees but if they can't stay in business and meed those obligations then those obligations need to either be erased or severely lowered....that's unfortunate to be sure but if it has to be done then is has to be done.

Those are the kinds of things that I see that need to change at GM if they are to survive with or without a bailout but I doubt any bailout will come with anywhere near those kinds of stipulations.

Last edited by Robert_Nashville; 11-12-2008 at 07:40 PM.