Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

RED: Did GM say anything yet to the dealers about the GTO pricing?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2004, 10:29 AM

RED: Did GM say anything yet to the dealers about the GTO pricing?

Is the GTO getting off the ground after the slow start..with the new ads, the commercials, and the TV movie?

and the important question is did GM tell the dealers to chill on this? or any kinda other "words" to make the price drop.....like not getting any Solstice or anything when they come out if they are pricegouging a GM product..
Old 07-18-2004, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by camarobabe02
Is the GTO getting off the ground after the slow start..with the new ads, the commercials, and the TV movie?

and the important question is did GM tell the dealers to chill on this? or any kinda other "words" to make the price drop.....like not getting any Solstice or anything when they come out if they are pricegouging a GM product..
From what I understand, they really can't say anything.

The laws governing dealerships are so intrusive that the manufacturer's hands are tied 90% of the time.
Old 07-18-2004, 11:30 AM

so could GM just "pick" dealers that have sold GTO's well..meaning they get an alotment and get them sold..not like some dealers I have seen posted her with a "specialty vehicle" charge or some other qoute like that...grrrr.. and then have these "special" GTO sitting on the floor for months..I mean these cars are supposed to help GM not make it sound like they are looking for $$$..

so when the Solstice comes out they give them first to the delaers that have good GTO sales!
Old 07-18-2004, 12:53 PM

Thumbs down

ive been to several local dealerships around here over the past few months (was looking for a new car, got a Colorado Sport) most had like a 2-3k markup, one had a SEVEN THOUSAND DOLLAR markup! went to a chevrolet/caddy dealership that had a couple XLR's on the lot. one was selling at sticker price and the other was marked up 8k! this is NOT called for!
Old 07-18-2004, 01:31 PM

There is a dealer in Texas now selling them for $29,999

Also someone on a gto board just bought one for 29,545 (31k~ with tax out the door) so the price is dropping from msrp you just gotta talk/know/search for dealers.

Last edited by shotgun; 07-18-2004 at 01:36 PM.
Old 07-18-2004, 01:46 PM
Super Moderator

There's a dealer here locally who is selling a red one for $4000 under sticker.
Old 07-18-2004, 07:26 PM

Re: RED: Did GM say anything yet to the dealers about the GTO pricing?

Originally Posted by 95 Z/28 LT1
There's a dealer here locally who is selling a red one for $4000 under sticker.

Yeah...

They got religion about selling them for GMS in the area REAL QUICK.

Jerks.
Old 07-18-2004, 07:30 PM

A GM exect, told a GM VP, who told a VLE, who told a director of dealer relations, who told a marketing director, who consulted with the legal department to send the dealers a memo offically stating that their selling practices were "bad"
Old 07-18-2004, 07:42 PM

We have had a silver one on the showroom floor (back working for the dealer on Saturdays...the joys of owning a house ) for almost 4 months now at $200 over invoice, advertised in the local auto traders. Not even one call on it...I don't get it

I have 2 more coming, both 6 speeds. I hope those garner someone's interest....
Old 07-18-2004, 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by Jason E
We have had a silver one on the showroom floor (back working for the dealer on Saturdays...the joys of owning a house ) for almost 4 months now at $200 over invoice, advertised in the local auto traders. Not even one call on it...I don't get it
Have you taken a good look a one? The answer is there. I don't think you'll see this with the 05's though. They should fit the GTO image better.

Last edited by IZ28; 07-18-2004 at 10:36 PM.
Old 07-19-2004, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by IZ28
Have you taken a good look a one? The answer is there. I don't think you'll see this with the 05's though. They should fit the GTO image better.

.... all because the 05's will offer optional hood scoops....
Old 07-19-2004, 11:53 AM

How about this explanation...since the '05 improvements are fairly well known in the enthusiast circles, could it be that the "informed consumer" is simply waiting either for the improved '05 (LS2, american style duals, and..sorry Darth...hood scoops)? Or they could be just waiting for the '04 prices to come down a bit. It's hard to pay sticker when everything else in GM's inventory is dicounted thousands, even if sticker is reasonable.

I just can't believe that the market for a GM muscle car is that small. Even the aged 4th gen, in its final years, outsold GTO what...4 or 5 fold? I also find it odd, and maybe telling that of all the regulars here on this forum, I've only seen one member w/ a GTO.
Old 07-19-2004, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by CLEAN
How about this explanation...since the '05 improvements are fairly well known in the enthusiast circles, could it be that the "informed consumer" is simply waiting either for the improved '05 (LS2, american style duals, and..sorry Darth...hood scoops)? Or they could be just waiting for the '04 prices to come down a bit. It's hard to pay sticker when everything else in GM's inventory is dicounted thousands, even if sticker is reasonable.

I just can't believe that the market for a GM muscle car is that small. Even the aged 4th gen, in its final years, outsold GTO what...4 or 5 fold? I also find it odd, and maybe telling that of all the regulars here on this forum, I've only seen one member w/ a GTO.

I agree with EVERYTHING you've said here... I have said pretty much the same thing several times, but there are those who just want to say that the GTO itself is a failure, and don't want to consider all the factors in the current market.

Some of these issues are admittadly GM's fault (lack of comparable rebates in a rebate riddled market), etc... but that is not a fault of the car itself...
Old 07-19-2004, 03:10 PM

the GTO a falier for what 350 HP RWD and performance...and good build quality...ummm what about Magnum and 300C they have the same idea and selling...why??? PRICE!! and what they are for...its not styling its not anything but exposure and the initial price gouging that hurt GTO. and now has a stigma about "am I getting a deal or screwed on GTO...oh well Ill go for the 300C"
Old 07-19-2004, 04:48 PM

1 of the local pontiac dealers is selling at invoice w/ 2.9 for 60 months . I dont know about the other 3 . Ive seen quite few on the road here , but at the same the current dealer inventory has been there for quite some time and starting to stack up .

Quick Reply: RED: Did GM say anything yet to the dealers about the GTO pricing?