Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Recommendations for Car Czar?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by Fbodfather
My thoughts:

Bob Lutz

Jim Perkins

Roger Penske

Lee Iacocca
My guess is that they'd want someone not currently employed by one of the Big 3 (and I could certainly understand why), so that would eliminate Lutz. I think Iacocca would be a fine choice.
Old 12-12-2008, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by Z28Wilson
My guess is that they'd want someone not currently employed by one of the Big 3 (and I could certainly understand why), so that would eliminate Lutz. I think Iacocca would be a fine choice.
I'd choose none, but Penske is a sharp guy and knows the business.

If one is chosen, it will be a politician and a bureaucrat. Probably a Treasury or Fed Reserve hack...

Last edited by 1fastdog; 12-12-2008 at 09:43 AM.
Old 12-12-2008, 09:43 AM
Prominent Member

What about Rep. Thaddeus McCotter from MI.?
Old 12-12-2008, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by Doug Harden
What about Rep. Thaddeus McCotter from MI.?
Yoo much of a good choice.
Old 12-12-2008, 10:17 AM

Penske has been on the GE board of directors for 14 years, and look at the profits over that time. I could get behind a pick like that, but it'll probably be a bureaucrat
Old 12-12-2008, 10:51 AM
Super Moderator

Jim Perkins
I didn't know this name, and so did some Googling. It's a pretty common name; I assume you mean this one?

http://www.corvettemuseum.com/librar.../perkins.shtml
Old 12-12-2008, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by JakeRobb
I didn't know this name, and so did some Googling. It's a pretty common name; I assume you mean this one?

That's him Jake...
Jimmy Perkins is someone I really like. First rate motivational speaker. True blue car guy and southern as well...

Last edited by 1fastdog; 12-12-2008 at 11:42 AM.
Old 12-12-2008, 01:55 PM
ALMIGHTY MEMBER

Originally Posted by doug harden
what about rep. Thaddeus mccotter from mi.?

yes!
Old 12-12-2008, 02:11 PM
ALMIGHTY MEMBER

Originally Posted by JakeRobb

I have the privilege of talking to Jim every couple of months -- and every time I talk to him, I say "OK Jim - how many BILLIONS do we have to pay you to come back???" -- and he just laughs..........

I would crawl thru ground glass and fire for Jim Perkins.

Let me relate three quick stories:

When we planned the Camaro Unveil on January 9, 2006, a big part of the unveil was to invite 250 Camaro/Firebird Enthusiasts to Detroit to witness the unveil. As part of the trip, we held a Reception at the GM Heritage Center --

I invited Jim -- thinking "wow -- I sure hope he can make it - and while he's retired from GM, I know he's busy working for Rick H. ...."

I got a telephone call from him three days later saying " Nothing can stop me from being there! " He was the fourth person to show up at the door (early) -- and one of the last to leave -- Most executives put in appearances that last, perhaps 15-20 minutes - Not Jim! He talked to everyone at the event - and was the perfect gentleman -- yet you could feel his excitement!

Story #2 -- When Jim came back as VP of GM and GM of Chevy, he had "Chevrolet Proud" lapel pins designed and produced - -- they were the Gold chevy Bowtie with "proud"written over the Chevy Bowtie....... and he gave them to every employee asking that we'd always wear it with pride.

My father passed very suddenly in early October of 1994 -- My father was so very proud to be a Chevy Dealer and to sell Chevrolets for many years. I put my "Chevy Proud" pin on his lapel at the funeral home -- and he was buried wearing it -- with pride....

I don't know how Jim knew that I'd done that -- but when I got back to work, there was a letter of Sympathy from Jim in the mail - with another "Chevy Proud" pin................

Story #3 -- Jim ALWAYS drove Camaros. As GM of Chevy, he could drive anything - -and yes, he'd drive Corvettes and anything that was 'new' -- but invariably there would be a Black Z28 in the company fleet -- and most nights, that's what he'd drive to and from home. We have a very strict speed limit on the Tech Center grounds -- but you could always see Jim -- behind the wheel of a Black Camaro - and usually he didn't notice the speed limit signs............

He's a Car Guy thru and thru..............

Last edited by Fbodfather; 12-12-2008 at 02:14 PM.
Old 12-12-2008, 02:20 PM

Don't get your hope up.
It will probably be someone like Ralph Nader.
Old 12-12-2008, 02:31 PM

I have the privilege of talking to Jim every couple of months -- and every time I talk to him, I say "OK Jim - how many BILLIONS do we have to pay you to come back???" -- and he just laughs..........

When we planned the Camaro Unveil on January 9, 2006, a big part of the unveil was to invite 250 Camaro/Firebird Enthusiasts to Detroit to witness the unveil. As part of the trip, we held a Reception at the GM Heritage Center --

I invited Jim -- thinking "wow -- I sure hope he can make it - and while he's retired from GM, I know he's busy working for Rick H. ...."

I got a telephone call from him three days later saying " Nothing can stop me from being there! " He was the fourth person to show up at the door (early) -- and one of the last to leave -- Most executives put in appearances that last, perhaps 15-20 minutes - Not Jim! He talked to everyone at the event - and was the perfect gentleman -- yet you could feel his excitement!

Story #2 -- When Jim came back as VP of GM and GM of Chevy, he had "Chevrolet Proud" lapel pins designed and produced - -- they were the Gold chevy Bowtie with "proud"written over the Chevy Bowtie....... and he gave them to every employee asking that we'd always wear it with pride.

My father passed very suddenly in early October of 1994 -- My father was so very proud to be a Chevy Dealer and to sell Chevrolets for many years. I put my "Chevy Proud" pin on his lapel at the funeral home -- and he was buried wearing it -- with pride....

I don't know how Jim knew that I'd done that -- but when I got back to work, there was a letter of Sympathy from Jim in the mail - with another "Chevy Proud" pin................

Story #3 -- Jim ALWAYS drove Camaros. As GM of Chevy, he could drive anything - -and yes, he'd drive Corvettes and anything that was 'new' -- but invariably there would be a Black Z28 in the company fleet -- and most nights, that's what he'd drive to and from home. We have a very strict speed limit on the Tech Center grounds -- but you could always see Jim -- behind the wheel of a Black Camaro - and usually he didn't notice the speed limit signs............

He's a Car Guy thru and thru..............
He's a GIANT. You and he gave the best speeches at the Heritage Center. Jim is still connected to the folk that salute their experience with GM and Chevy ownership.

I personally thank Jim for making the FRC Corvette and it's later Z06 iteration possible.

It certainly wasn't what Jim had in mind to begin with, but it made the extreme enthusiast Corvette owner something on the radar which couldn't be ignored. Were it not for Jim I would have never bought an FRC or Z06.

He is one of the old guard that didn't stumble. There are many I still count among my pals, like Dave Horchler and Jerry Thompson, etc..

It's unfortunate that so much ink was given to DeLorean and to a lesser extent Bunkie, as far as drifting among some GM guys is concerned.

But Jimmy, and so many others were and are giants. Gib, is another that comes to mind. There are many who still walk the halls of the Ren Center, Tech Center, Milford, etc. So many folks I respect at GM. I think about them when I set to work.

My previous boss allowed me to attend the Camaro unveil with the caveat that I deliver a personal note to Perkins. Gracious man that he is, Jimmy whispered a personal reply to take home with me.

Nothing beats walking among giants as they can inspire your own ethos to meet challenges.

Last edited by 1fastdog; 12-12-2008 at 02:43 PM.
Old 12-12-2008, 02:36 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks for posting, Scott. Jim sounds like a great guy.
Old 12-13-2008, 03:50 PM

Wink

I will hope for Jim Perkins, rather than ralph nader!
Old 12-13-2008, 03:57 PM

Maybe we could sell tickets to see that and help with the bailout!