Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Recognition/Exposure of 5th gen

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2003, 08:28 PM

Recognition/Exposure of 5th gen

It seems that every single commercial on tv has a 99+ Mustang in it. I just got done watching a State Farm ad with a GT/Mach 1 as the focal point. Then theres the Goodyear commercial with the silver? GT, Maaco ends their Burt Reynolds ads with the shot of the red GT, then the Comcast High-Speed internet ad etc. Even in movies the Mustang is popular...ie: Hoolywood Homicides (Josh Hartnett/Harrison Ford) you see the silver Stang in the trailers, Jay and Slilent Bob Strike Back-hot chicks get away in the red GT ragtop and so on.

The point I'm trying to make is what will it take to get this recognition and exposure out of a 5th gen? The 5th gen should be able to be embraced as an american icon like the Camaros of old and at least as well as the ultimate pony car icon: Ford Mustang. Everywhere you go, that car is everywhere. Theres 20 Mustangs lined up behind each other on the road, everyones dad has at least 1 or 8 Mustangs or something in between. Can Camaro ever be as embraced? If so, what does it need to be and what does it not need to be? Should GM take part in more special editions? Should GM be more enthusiastic about one of its most historic and recognized nameplates? Or is it just a fan base thing where conentrations of Mustang owners/fans outnumber F-body fans in certain areas? (especially Metro Detroit).
Old 10-15-2003, 09:49 PM

I saw a few camaros in commericals in the past few years, although they were all broken down with the hood open and smoke coming out and the person was calling for help...this probably helped tthe camaro looking up like this:
Old 10-16-2003, 01:58 AM

I remember that exact commercial you're talking about. Some insurance company commercial with a maroon 93-97 style Camaro broke on the side of the road with its hood up and the girl on a cell phone calling for help.

As much as I hope a 5th gen will be so embraced when/if it comes out, I don't know if its gonna happen. To GM, that icon belongs to the Corvette, none other. There are tons of movies where if a Corvette isnt a star, its at least in the movie somewhere. 2F2F had one, XXX had one, one Adam Sandler movie at the end he bought his whole town drop-top red Corvettes, etc. etc. And also here in Orlando, theres a few billboards that advertise just the CORVETTE, not Chevrolet as the whole brand. I think GM pushes the Corvette more than anything and let the Camaro just "be there" when it was around. Hopefully when/if a 5th gen comes out, GM will push the Corvette like they already do but also push the Camaro out into view just as hard.
Old 10-16-2003, 09:44 AM

Besides "The Gumball Rally" and a supporting role in "2Fast 2Furious", I really can't think of any big movie or TV show Camaro had a center role...... it's always been FIREBIRDS! Even in those 2 movies, the Camaros weren't new up to date models.

"Rockford Files", "Smokey & the Bandit", "Nightrider", all with new, contemporary Firebirds. "XXX" and it's sequel showcase the old & the new GTO respectively.

Outside of Corvette, seems when hot new cars are used, GM's only entry seems to historically wear the Pontiac spear (or lately the Cadillac crest).
Old 10-16-2003, 10:29 AM

well here in TX the State Farm has a beautiful First Gen. Too bad the Moron was taking a picture on a hill and was leaning on the car without the hand brake and it rolled off the cliff to the water.(Entire commercial was in reverse and showed that State farm is always there).

Pep boys has a commercial about general maintenance or something and in the end they pan the garage and there is a red Camaro SS 4th gen. on the lift... can't really tell what is being done to it.

Levi's has the First gen. ad

Also.. Fastlane had a Yenko and was show a couple of times in the "candy store"

finally the last one...
10-8 Danni Nucci's car is a Black Z/28... I wasn't really paying much attention but I remember getting a glance and then they showed the interior with seats a little ripped etc.

If GM were to get it in the running it would need to be showcase in XXX-2 as a side vehicle etc.
Old 10-16-2003, 11:26 AM

I wonder if GM raises a fuss with those other advertisers when they show their products in an unflattering manner? I know they almost always remove any badges or identification, but still, people know what kind of cars they are.

On the other hand, I've seen Envoys in car wax commercials where they removed the "GMC" from the grille. Was that because they needed permission from GM that they didn't get, or was it because they like the truck but didn't want to give GM any free advertising?
Old 10-16-2003, 12:20 PM

The co-star's ride in the NBC show Las Vegas is a droptop 1st Gen SS....
Old 10-16-2003, 12:36 PM

enterprise rent-a-car has a red v-6 in one of their "a type of car for everyone" commercials

Black 1st gen Firebird in Matrix: Reloaded
Super Troopers has an IROC
Old 10-16-2003, 01:54 PM

The Charlie's Angels chicks (err...women) drove a droptop 1st gen.
Old 10-16-2003, 03:09 PM

Their was a 4th gen WS6 vert' in the season premire of Angel . He drives it in the second episode.
Old 10-16-2003, 03:28 PM

OH yea forgot:

Pensacola Wings of Gold had a red or Hugger orange SS driven by one of the pilots... can't remember his call sign but I remember Ace and Spoon were used in there could be spoon...
Old 10-16-2003, 04:08 PM

What about that Wendy's late night commercial with the red 1st gen Camaro going into the parking or drive through?

They're out there, albeit most of the attention favors the 1st gens cars
. The problem isn't the lack of camaro commercials, it's the lack of 4th gen exposure/commercial.
Old 10-16-2003, 04:32 PM

Originally posted by RiceEating5.0
What about that Wendy's late night commercial with the red 1st gen Camaro going into the parking or drive through?

They're out there, albeit most of the attention favors the 1st gens cars
. The problem isn't the lack of camaro commercials, it's the lack of 4th gen exposure/commercial.
Thats exactly my point. In its twilight years the Camaro or F-Bod in general lost its appeal.

Dont forget the T/A that one guy from old school had when he guest starred in "That 70's Show" either. But if a F-bod in general is there, its an older one which were very cool cars or just part of the scenery like the Enterprise commercial. The 4th gens arent there for its cool factor. The 5th gen should be able to correct that and be widely thought of as a very cool car and get the F-car's rep back in line.