Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles
View Poll Results: Should RS be...
a cosmetic option on any Camaro
28.81%
it's own sporty model above the base car
57.63%
just left dead
13.56%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Rally Sport poll.

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2004, 12:35 AM

Rally Sport poll.

Just wondering where everyone is on this.

Should RS be a cosmetic option, it's own specific model or just be left dead?
Old 03-08-2004, 12:53 AM

Give it some Rally equipment...who knows, maybe it'll compete someday?
The low-powered cosmetic versions are the cause of the bad opinions for an RS badge...they shouldn't have better ground effects etc than a Z28 either, like in the past..

Last edited by 90rocz; 03-14-2004 at 01:32 AM.
Old 03-08-2004, 12:58 AM

Here a picture of an RS when it was it's own model.

Package is mostly composed of two tone paint, spoiler, trim and wheels.

http://www.geocities.com/iracez28/78b-2.html
Old 03-08-2004, 01:30 AM

A voice from the once and still ignorant... er.

Before I knew anything about 4th gens, I figured the RS was "the best" because of what I saw, a great ground effects / body package.

When I found out it was all show no go, I got confused.

As far as the future of RS? GM will do what they want to do. GTO and Judge thing. SS vs. Z28 thing. Bring some history back. Leave other history behind. At this point as a consumer, I don't care what the trim names are, it's what's under the hood that counts.
Old 03-08-2004, 01:34 AM

This wasnt an option but what about the RS be an AWD option? Then they could go rally racing with it and help bring some excitement to it and kill the evo 8 and sti in their tracks. That makes sense to me, doesnt stay true to general RS hitory but what the hell? cant hurt
Old 03-08-2004, 05:14 AM

Own separate model above base with it's own improvements.
Old 03-08-2004, 07:21 AM

I like the (retro! lol) idea of the way it was used back in the day... make it an appearance package that can be added on to differetn levels of the car.

Added to a base car, you have an RS, added to an SS, you have an RS/SS, added to a Z28, you have a Z28/RS, etc etc etc.
Old 03-08-2004, 08:58 AM

Originally posted by Darth Xed
I like the (retro! lol) idea of the way it was used back in the day... make it an appearance package that can be added on to differetn levels of the car.

Added to a base car, you have an RS, added to an SS, you have an RS/SS, added to a Z28, you have a Z28/RS, etc etc etc.
Exactly. Its heritage is based in an apperance package plus the designation of SS/RS and Z28/RS are quite appealing sounding. It does not need its own model with its own engine.
Old 03-08-2004, 09:44 AM

I would like to see the RS as its own model. I think that having the RS as just an appearence model would be pointless and confusing if there would be models like RS/Z28 or RS/SS or RS/Base. If the Z28 is to have a different appearence, just make it an appearence option (like Y87, or Z51 but don't advertise it as part of the model name. Also, yes I know those aren't appearence options) and not clutter the name. I would rather see a few different appearence items that could be ordered by themselves and not lumped into one appearence package. I am still voting for RS to be the base V8 model (like the 5.3) or even a blown V6. I am well aware of the history of this name but I think having the RS as it's own model would add some value to the lower model. RS, SS, Z28, I like those models, what can I say.
Old 03-08-2004, 09:51 AM

Originally posted by 0toinsanein5.4sec
This wasnt an option but what about the RS be an AWD option? Then they could go rally racing with it and help bring some excitement to it and kill the evo 8 and sti in their tracks. That makes sense to me, doesnt stay true to general RS hitory but what the hell? cant hurt
I'm all for holding on to heritage and whatnot, but I actually like this idea. Most younger people will likely think of the WRC when they see "Rally Sport", so this would fit right in. Maybe even use a turbocharged I4 or V6 for this model only...
Old 03-08-2004, 09:59 AM

Originally posted by JEDCamino
I'm all for holding on to heritage and whatnot, but I actually like this idea. Most younger people will likely think of the WRC when they see "Rally Sport", so this would fit right in. Maybe even use a turbocharged I4 or V6 for this model only...
Maybe RS could be the V6 with AWD.
Old 03-08-2004, 10:12 AM

Originally posted by Z28x
Maybe RS could be the V6 with AWD.
Makes sense, but the nomeclature is still confusing. I think the RS designation might be too old to have any marketing power now.

Throwing AWD on the V6 adds a level of complexity also. But, if you only have two main engine architectures with the V8 having two power levels, it might be manageable. The 4th gens had, if memory serves, 4 engine options and 3 transmission options at one point (3400,3800, LT1, LT4).

Camaro V6, low-line interior
RS AWD V6, uplevel interior
Z28 V8a, mid-line V8 and low-line interior
SS AWD V8b, top interior and engine packages

Does Camaro have a "higher-tech, nicely appointed" niche with an AWD V6 to fit into?

Last edited by PacerX; 03-08-2004 at 10:16 AM.
Old 03-08-2004, 10:49 AM

if they can work an extra v8 into the picture (perhaps 5.3), then the RS would have a place in the lineup.

I wouldn't want it to be just an "appearance option" on top of the v6. At the least, throw in a suspension, tire/wheel, gears, and CAI/exhaust tuning to make it somewhat "sporty".
Old 03-08-2004, 10:57 AM

The Rally Sport or RS (or "rs" for some of us. ) has always been a style option. It has never been about performance.

No AWD. No optional powerplant.

If it is resurrected, it should be a trim package only, be it special paint, stickers, spoilers, trim, headlamps, etc.

Old 03-08-2004, 11:35 AM

Originally posted by PacerX
Makes sense, but the nomeclature is still confusing. I think the RS designation might be too old to have any marketing power now.

Throwing AWD on the V6 adds a level of complexity also. But, if you only have two main engine architectures with the V8 having two power levels, it might be manageable. The 4th gens had, if memory serves, 4 engine options and 3 transmission options at one point (3400,3800, LT1, LT4).

Camaro V6, low-line interior
RS AWD V6, uplevel interior
Z28 V8a, mid-line V8 and low-line interior
SS AWD V8b, top interior and engine packages

Does Camaro have a "higher-tech, nicely appointed" niche with an AWD V6 to fit into?
I think a V6 AWD is a great idea..whether they call it RS or not.

But, I don't believe that AWD will be available across the board..ie., all engines and transmissions. It would be great if they did...but right now it appears as if AWD will only be mated with only one engine/trans combo.

Who knows, we've got lots of time, things may change.

Quick Reply: Rally Sport poll.