Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Pontiac renaissance! It's coming!

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2006, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by guionM
That's going to be Chevrolet's domain. Sure Buick, Pontiac, & Cadillac will also have a V8 or 2 available in their lineup, but Chevy's going to have affordable performance oriented V8s via Impala, Camaro, and Corvette.
My point exactly. V8's would be the top level Chevrolet's, Buicks and Cadillacs.

Pontiac has proven that with the Solstice, there certainly is a market for a high performance 2.0l Ecotec engine. The Solstice GXP proves this.

Now, I just can't wait to imagine this same powertrain, or better yet the SEMA GXP-R powertrain in a slew of new, various packages.
Old 11-15-2006, 04:28 PM

That's going to be Chevrolet's domain. Sure Buick, Pontiac, & Cadillac will also have a V8 or 2 available in their lineup, but Chevy's going to have affordable performance oriented V8s via Impala, Camaro, and Corvette.
Well, I guess I'll have to buy the high end Pontiacs then. And if they're priced too high for me to afford new, then I'll have to wait a little longer & pick them up used. I know some of you are turned on by hair dryer fed 4 cyl's & tricked out v-6's. But they don't do anything for me. I'm an old-school fan of the Tin Indian, & for me there's nothing like a v-8 wrapped in Pontiac style! I'll take a v-6 for a DD but not for the toy that I take out & play with on the weekend. Anyway, that's where I stand on all of this. As long as Pontiac still has 1 or 2 v-8's in it's line-up then I'm reasonably happy.
Old 11-15-2006, 05:24 PM
Disciple

Torana is about the size of the current Malibu, SWB Epsilon.
Wasn't there a chassis called Beta with something to do with the Torana?
What ever happened to that?

Or is my brain remembering parts of different stories?
Old 11-15-2006, 06:49 PM

If Josh's statement about Buick not getting Zeta is correct, does that mean Buick will get Sigma or will the FWD G body be around even longer?
Old 11-15-2006, 06:50 PM

Torana was never a concept that Holden did without permission.

They did it with permission, but, they did it without supervision (per say) and made many...MANY changes to Kappa so that it was not really Kappa at all. Holden developed an entirely new chassis with their Torana concept.

Many referred to it as Beta.

It was only at the debut of the Torana that GM execs in N.A. got peeved by the amount of changes that were done to Kappa, which basically meant the idea of the concept that excited auto show crowds just was not going to happen, at least not as quick as was hoped for.
Old 11-15-2006, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by OctaneZ28
Wasn't there a chassis called Beta with something to do with the Torana?
What ever happened to that?

Or is my brain remembering parts of different stories?
Tim, an Australian magazine (can't remember which) was guessing at the name 'Beta' when they described the Torana's platform. After that, it spread like wildfire on the internet. No one at GM ever used it though.
Old 11-16-2006, 08:12 AM

So the range will be Alpha for the coupes and sedans, Kappa for the Solstice, and Zeta for the GTO and G8? or has the G8 idea been scrapped?
Old 11-16-2006, 09:21 AM

http://www.autoblog.com/2006/11/15/r...6-will-be-rwd/
Old 11-16-2006, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by skorpion317
So the range will be Alpha for the coupes and sedans, Kappa for the Solstice, and Zeta for the GTO and G8? or has the G8 idea been scrapped?
No GTO on the horizon.
Old 11-16-2006, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by Z284ever
No GTO on the horizon.
I've heard otherwise...Not trying to second guess or discount what you're saying, however.
Old 11-16-2006, 10:20 AM

No GTO on the horizon.
so Pontiac will not have a Zeta stablemate to the Camaro?

it will have a G8/Grand Prix/whatever they're gonna call it sibling to the Impala, though?
Old 11-16-2006, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by Josh452
I've heard otherwise...Not trying to second guess or discount what you're saying, however.
What have you heard Josh? Didn't you post somewhere that you wouldn't expect a new GTO for another 5 or 6 years at the earliest?
Old 11-16-2006, 10:39 AM

I'm still not a fan of the Gx naming conventions for serveral reasons, one being Infiniti is already using it. Another: a better car (rwd G4) replaces the G5 but appears to have less stature in the Pontiac hierarchy--and G4 is already being used in some markets (Mexico). Does the numeral indicate the number of cylinders (this appeared to be the original plan)? Well, you can get a 4-cylinder G6 and apparently that'll also be the case for the replacement. Not to mention they're still using traditional model trim names that come off sounding and looking odd: G5 GT, G6 GTP, etc. Doesn't appear very well thoughtout.

If they're doing a makeover for the entire lineup, it seems like a good time to start over for naming. Give them real names (preferred) or more unique and meaningful alphanumeric ones.
Old 11-16-2006, 10:56 AM

What have you heard Josh? Didn't you post somewhere that you wouldn't expect a new GTO for another 5 or 6 years at the earliest?
Yes, I'd say late 2010 early 2011. But, I've heard it's on, just not a "top priority" per say.
Old 11-16-2006, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by jrp4uc
I'm still not a fan of the Gx naming conventions for serveral reasons, one being Infiniti is already using it. Another: a better car (rwd G4) replaces the G5 but appears to have less stature in the Pontiac hierarchy--and G4 is already being used in some markets (Mexico). Does the numeral indicate the number of cylinders (this appeared to be the original plan)? Well, you can get a 4-cylinder G6 and apparently that'll also be the case for the replacement. Not to mention they're still using traditional model trim names that come off sounding and looking odd: G5 GT, G6 GTP, etc. Doesn't appear very well thoughtout.

If they're doing a makeover for the entire lineup, it seems like a good time to start over for naming. Give them real names (preferred) or more unique and meaningful alphanumeric ones.
They are no where even close to having any final names for any of these cars.

Quick Reply: Pontiac renaissance! It's coming!