Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles
View Poll Results: Muscular exhaust?
Yea, make it have a good noticeable growl.
56.25%
No, make it be quiet and unheard.
43.75%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Poll of the week: Muscular V6 exhaust or not?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2005, 02:28 PM

Poll of the week: Muscular V6 exhaust or not?

Should the 5th gen have a muscular exhaust like the 3rd gen v6's do with a noticeable growl?
or should they have a close to silent tone like the 4th gens?

These polls are designed to help you "keep the faith" by thinking about the 5th gen more often .
Old 03-05-2005, 02:47 PM

Re: Poll of the week: Muscular V6 exhaust or not?

For the love of god if its a v6 I hope it sounds like a 60* v6, and not anywhere near as bad as a 3.8L series II
Old 03-05-2005, 03:23 PM

I think a good half way in between would work out. Providing they use a 60 degree v6 at least. Some 3.8's sound good on the right exhaust though...
The bad thing about a quiet exhaust is that GM engines don't have a quiet drivetrain or accessory train. At least not for very long. Take my Venture, it's a 3.4L, has a ultra quiet exhaust, but you can hear the darn belt drive from a mile away. I've heard brand new GM's this way. So in the end... a little exhaust is probably better than none at all.

Honestly.. I wish GM could make their v6 sound like Nissan's v6's... then I'd say make it loud and proud!

A Dynomax Super Turbo and a perhaps a small resonator will do the trick I think.

Last edited by MagnaPilot; 03-05-2005 at 03:27 PM.
Old 03-05-2005, 03:24 PM

i think it should have a quiet idle sound but kinda growl when u get on it
Old 03-05-2005, 03:33 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by unvc92camarors
Should the 5th gen have a muscular exhaust like the 3rd gen v6's do with a noticeable growl?
or should they have a close to silent tone like the 4th gens?
NO 4th generation F-body can be described as having "a close to silent tone" when it comes to exhaust noise.
Old 03-05-2005, 03:54 PM

I love how my 60degree V6 sounds on my CavalierZ24 and at one time I believe the 3rd gens and Cavalier shared the same V6 engine.......I'm all for it myself
Old 03-05-2005, 04:23 PM

3.4L 60° V6 Camaro with a borla exhust =
Old 03-05-2005, 08:49 PM

I thought my TTA sounded pretty good. Even the stock V8 exhaust had a pretty good tone to it. But the SLP 2OTL really sounded good for a V6.

But you could always hear the whistle of the turbo so it definitely wasn't loud
Old 03-05-2005, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by redzed
NO 4th generation F-body can be described as having "a close to silent tone" when it comes to exhaust noise.
He is talking about the V6 fourth gens which do have very quiet exhaust.
Old 03-06-2005, 12:14 AM

Honestly i like the direction Ford is making with the newest V6 mustang, which has a different engine than the 4th gens. It's around 210hp, which isn't all that bad for a base model, and it has it's own 'look', in that it is very obvious which is a V6 and which a V8.

Having said that if they continue putting better V6s in the stang, i think they should go with a more muscular exhaust. Even a faux dual would be acceptible, and would most likely get them more sales.
Old 03-06-2005, 01:00 AM

V6s can be made to sound good...

Nissan did a really good job giving the VQs a presence...

Hell, even Ford turned out a nice note from the boat anchor in the front of my car....

For the love of god, I hope any future 6 cylinder Camaro sounds better than my sisters '95 3.4. Can you say death in a can?
Old 03-06-2005, 02:14 AM

Third Gen V8's and V6's did sound better/louder. They don't sound low and synthesized like 4ths, except for the LT1 kinda. The funny thing is that even magazines noted that stock for stock, the Thirds with single exhaust had a nicer and more noticable sound than stock 5.0s with dual exhaust. It's true, all you gotta do is compare them. (L98 especially)

Anyway, I think it's OK to have a V6 with a little sound depending on how the sound is. But I really think the V8's need more sound this time around. The 05 GTO is a step in the right direction. True duals are always nice, but LS's absolutely need dual exhaust IMO.

Last edited by IZ28; 03-07-2005 at 01:36 AM.
Old 03-06-2005, 11:16 AM

I'm sorry but I don't get this ricer mentality of who cares how fast a car is, only that it looks and sounds good.

The V6 Camaro is a volume seller. The majority of V6 buyers are more concerned about whether it has lighted vanity mirrors and two cup holders, than what it sounds like.

If you want it to sound louder, the consumer can always add a high flow exhaust him/herself.
Old 03-06-2005, 11:57 AM

If it sounds anything like my 60* V6 Malibu, then hell yeah
Old 03-06-2005, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by jg95z28
I'm sorry but I don't get this ricer mentality of who cares how fast a car is, only that it looks and sounds good.

The V6 Camaro is a volume seller. The majority of V6 buyers are more concerned about whether it has lighted vanity mirrors and two cup holders, than what it sounds like.

If you want it to sound louder, the consumer can always add a high flow exhaust him/herself.
Downside to this is that I live in a state where modifing the exaust from factory equivilant is illegal. Yea you can still throw a Flowmaster or straightpipe the vehicle but in some areas they are more strict than others with exaust sound. Like the rural areas are probally can get by better than the urban areas. I live in a rural area but It would be cool if the V6 camaro had a nice exhaust tone wtih the V8 sounding even better. Sometimes people don't like a over the top loudness but just want that rumble or sound that they can rev their vehicle up and grin.

Quick Reply: Poll of the week: Muscular V6 exhaust or not?