Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

OMG....the new GTO SUCKS..

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2002, 06:34 PM

Thumbs down OMG....the new GTO SUCKS..

Pardon my childish language...but GOOD LORD. I've been reading some information on the new GTO and have come to the conclusion that the whole project is a rather lame attempt by GM to corner the entry-level sports car market, considering the F-Body is dead.

I can't believe the F-Body's replacement is this: http://www.pontiac.com/pontiacjsp/pa..._gto_photo.jpg

I find it repulsive that GM would disgrace the GTO name by placing GTO badging on the monstrosity called the "new GTO". Now performance car enthusiasts everywhere have to endure the fact that the memory of the classic muscle car GTO is being defiled by the GM's new project.

The car bears a disturbing resemblence to the silver grand am owned by the high school girl that lives down the street from me. All the new GTO needs is some pink fuzzy dice hanging from the mirror and a dirtball boyfriend in the passenger seat, and it would be a perfect replacement for her current car.

That car is NOT a GTO. The GTO is a potent muscle car with styling to match. I don't even care how much hp the engine is producing, the GTO is still a rehash of grand am styling.

*Sigh* I think my venting is over.
Old 10-06-2002, 06:59 PM

Well God gave you the ablity not to buy it. All you have to do is exercise it.
Old 10-06-2002, 07:05 PM

Well, when GM executives like Scott Settlemire (sp?) browse these message boards to gauge public interest, they will come across a bunch of people that love the new GTO, further pushing GM to produce more cars like the GTO, and less cars like the F-Body.

I represent all the people who hate the new GTO and resent GM for replacing our ability to buy a new F-Body with an ability to buy a car such as the new GTO.
Old 10-06-2002, 07:13 PM

I do a lot of looking and not that much posting on this site. The reason is the silly amount of really cluless people. You guys never anwser tech questions, when they are anwsered they of little help. ( with a few exceptions, they know who they are and I thank ) My second gripe has to do with STUPID posts like this. I saw that you own a Camaro, gee, let me see...... A car that has the same motor/trans as are cars with a real back seat much better, interior room, finish, options, suspention, build quality, frame, same weight as lt1 cars, a little more chub than a ls1 but the same as mine (3600-3700 est w/ 12 bolt,turbo &iron block) a price est. to be 1 k more than a SS with all the fixins. Adjust for the inflation and the fact that it is a IMPORT (the cost in shipping them across half the earth apposed to from canada - a us teritory - must be a decent amount more.) Who cares that they call it. The new "GTO" is a RWD AMERICAN powered LS1. Hell! Pontiac stole the name GTO from a certain car that has a prancing horse on the badge and costs 10 fold what are cars fetch. So if it makes you feel better call it a Monaro, HSV, Grand Am, Chevelle, Camaro, Kangaroo, Croc dundee special or hell call it a grapefruit for all I care. It is still BETTER inherantly, much better than any current Pony car on the market today. The looks of a car are subjective and have nothing to do wiuth the quality of a car. I really didnt like the new front end the 4th gen Camaro and now I wonder why i ever prefered it over the LT1. But that is my opinion of what the car LOOKS like not how good of a car it is. Only fools are afraid of change. So, while you stick with your 20 plus year old underpinnings I will be driving around in my new ( insert optional names from above list here) GTO while trying to duplicate the same HP numbers as my camaro sitting next to it in my driveway. I love my Camaro but I will love my GTO as well. The GTO will save GM the loss of a customer. I no longer have to buy a mustang.

- Gordon

2001 SS Camaro
1969 AMC AMX
1994 Dodge Intrepid
Old 10-06-2002, 07:32 PM

Originally posted by blk94vett
Only fools are afraid of change. So, while you stick with your 20 plus year old underpinnings I will be driving around in my new ( insert optional names from above list here) GTO while trying to duplicate the same HP numbers as my camaro sitting next to it in my driveway. I love my Camaro but I will love my GTO as well. The GTO will save GM the loss of a customer. I no longer have to buy a mustang.
Thats seems to be the problem.. the design doesnt seem to have changed from other cars already out on the market. So the real fools are the people in the exterior styling department of the GTO... As a new Grand am I think the design wouldve been brilliant, but it doesnt produce the visual excitement the original GTO did. But I like the car pretty much all around... I really do, and all the pro's vasly outway the cons, as it is going to be a real street contender, but I cant see it as a GTO... thats all.. its more of an SS Grand Am but everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I just hope to god that the new camaro doesnt come out looking as uninspired

Last edited by ReznorZ28; 10-06-2002 at 07:55 PM.
Old 10-06-2002, 07:44 PM

why is there all this whining about the GTO??i hope GM doesn't read or take these boards seriously,because they'll think all the GM people are a bunch of crying little girls that won't be pleased with anything.
-it's RWD
-it's V-8 powered
-it will be fast
-it will be loud
-it will actually handle
-it shows there's actually someone at GM with a pulse
SO WHAT'S THE PROBLEM?????????sure,it may be expensive,but remember,anything priced over 20K,you're talking about want and not need,so quit whining and get a better job.sure,the '64 GTO was affordable,guess what,it's 2002.sure,it may be bland,so what,under the hood,under the hood,under the hood,that is what counts,the '64 GTO was nice looking,but not groundbreaking in design,it's a dime-a-dozen tempest family car with a hot engine and stolen ferrari name(come to think of it,pontiac is full of stolen racing names,bonneville,grand prix,trans am).it's fine to have an opinion,they're like mustangs,everyone has one,but get some perspective,the original GTO was a great car,but not the greatest car on earth,take it off the shrine and oh...here's a thought,actually wait until YOU DRIVE THE NEW GTO to **** all over it.so,if you're reading this,GM,we're not all crying morons with no sense of history and why are you guys wasting time reading this and not busy making the new f-body.
Old 10-06-2002, 07:52 PM

The way I see it, The new GTO is a gift from Lutz to the F-body crowd. The current F-car has a aging frame that makes GM lose money. I dont blame them for giving it the X. The problem with GM is that they do everything a day late and a dollar short. There is NO GM PLATFORM to build a replacement F-car from. Even the Mustang is going back to a shared platform with many other cars. It is the only way to make it possible to build cars at a decent profit. Even at the volume Ford moves the current mustang they know to keep the mustang alive they have to consolidate. The mustang makes money because it shares parts and is riding on a frame 10 years older than the late f-car.

Back to the "GTO" as a gift. Insted of just dumping all of us GM & Lutz found a way to give us a option other than ford. We have a RWD car that preforms close to what are f-cars do while they gain the abilty to make a new Camaro. The name GTO is going to save the f-car replacement in my opinion.The Average car consumer will never visit this message board or ever know the car is really a import Holden. But they will know the GTO name. This will win over some buyers, making the GTO a sucsess and showing GM that people will by a RWD AMERICAN performance coupe.

I do have oposing veiws on using the GTO name. On the oposition, If there will be no Firebird replacement as hinted by GM then why give Pontiac the hold us at bay car, why not call it a Camaro, this way people will not obandon it. If the GTO sells well than expect the F-car replacement to be again chevy-pontiac twins, but this time around Camaro/GTO. The way it seems it might even be a triple threat Camaro/GTO/Monte I really doubt that GM will build GTO and a Camaro on two differnt platforms. The reason why I think the Pontiac GTO is a good Idea is that it is a little larger than a Camaro/Trans Am and we dont want the next f-car to be this big. So by calling a GTO GM sells as many as they can import here, give us a non Ford alternative to replacing our f-cars and making a strong business case for future RWD V8 AMERICAN performance cars. If you dont like it dont buy it. Im my opinion it will save us from buying fords or have supercharged front wheel drive GM performance cars.

- Gordon

Last edited by Evil Turbo SS; 10-06-2002 at 08:23 PM.
Old 10-06-2002, 08:11 PM

Pentatonic, The final version of the GTO isn't even out yet!!!!!! Have you seen the Car in person ??? Just because you think the styling is mild doesn't mean sucks. THe GTO looks more agressive than the LS1 Z28's, but throw a ram air hood on it and it looks bad @ss.

http://www.depaulachevrolet.com/main.jpg

THere is a pic from the side, I think it looks pretty good.

let not forget the interior is BMW quality, way better than the camaro
Old 10-06-2002, 08:14 PM

There will be nothing "entry level" about either the GTO's price, its interior appointments, its ability to carry people comfortably or its performance. GTO is no Camaro or Firebird replacement.

The fact that a lot of Camaro and Firebird owners don't like it already is pretty much proof that it's not supposed to be an F-body replacement. Think '94-96 Impala SS, but with two doors.
Old 10-06-2002, 08:24 PM

Re: OMG....the new GTO SUCKS..

Originally posted by Pentatonic
Pardon my childish language...but GOOD LORD. I've been reading some information on the new GTO and have come to the conclusion that the whole project is a rather lame attempt by GM to corner the entry-level sports car market, considering the F-Body is dead.

I can't believe the F-Body's replacement is this: http://www.pontiac.com/pontiacjsp/pa..._gto_photo.jpg

I find it repulsive that GM would disgrace the GTO name by placing GTO badging on the monstrosity called the "new GTO". Now performance car enthusiasts everywhere have to endure the fact that the memory of the classic muscle car GTO is being defiled by the GM's new project.

The car bears a disturbing resemblence to the silver grand am owned by the high school girl that lives down the street from me. All the new GTO needs is some pink fuzzy dice hanging from the mirror and a dirtball boyfriend in the passenger seat, and it would be a perfect replacement for her current car.

That car is NOT a GTO. The GTO is a potent muscle car with styling to match. I don't even care how much hp the engine is producing, the GTO is still a rehash of grand am styling.

Clueless.
Old 10-06-2002, 08:39 PM

Hunkins, I agree/disagree GM says the GTO is not a replacement for the f-bodys. But it very well can be for Us until the GM proper replacement is being sold at my local chevy dealer. It has a LS1 t56 or 4l60e trans, propells the proper set of wheels is shorter overall with a longer wheel base. It is everything that they said the next Camaro would have to be (just subtract 200 lbs) in order to make a case for its production. The new GTO is in Direct comp. with the Mustang Mach1 and Cobra. They come in at the same weight and price range. The GTO is just a newer better built car that happens to look like it will make a little less power. So, how can a direct competitor of our f-cars witch is a competitor of the new GTO not be a replacement for our agingt f-cars. We know that GM says that its not replacing, but again as I have posted before it will be OUR GM replacement until a new Camaro arrives. Its the GTO or a mustang. Here are the Facts: #1 If You want a American V8 RWD Coupe with back seating you have to buy a GTO or a Mustang. #2 The GTO has all the HP potential as our f-cars with a more modern chassis. #3 If you want a GenIII powered car with a back seat and RWD for not much more than a SS or WS6 you have no other choice than to buy a GTO. #4 You can no longer buy a new Camaro or Firebird so see fact #1.

- Gordon
Old 10-06-2002, 08:51 PM

Clueless is right. The GTO is not meant to replace the Camaro, just as the SSR is not. Unless this guy has sat in, driven, and completely evaluated the GTO, he has no right to dump on it like that. Heck, we have never even seen a picture of the real thing!
Old 10-06-2002, 08:52 PM

Is it me or is this pic look a littly Mustangish? Maybe a little Monte Carloish? I hope the GTO is the 'link' to the 5th gen Camaro. I just hope the 5th gen has a entry level V8 model that I can afford!
Old 10-06-2002, 09:03 PM

I was going to respond to this silliness, but Derek Smalls beat me to it (thanks dude!):

why is there all this whining about the GTO??i hope GM doesn't read or take these boards seriously,because they'll think all the GM people are a bunch of crying little girls that won't be pleased with anything.
-it's RWD
-it's V-8 powered
-it will be fast
-it will be loud
-it will actually handle
-it shows there's actually someone at GM with a pulse
SO WHAT'S THE PROBLEM?????????sure,it may be expensive,but remember,anything priced over 20K,you're talking about want and not need,so quit whining and get a better job.sure,the '64 GTO was affordable,guess what,it's 2002.sure,it may be bland,so what,under the hood,under the hood,under the hood,that is what counts,the '64 GTO was nice looking,but not groundbreaking in design,it's a dime-a-dozen tempest family car with a hot engine and stolen ferrari name(come to think of it,pontiac is full of stolen racing names,bonneville,grand prix,trans am).it's fine to have an opinion,they're like mustangs,everyone has one,but get some perspective,the original GTO was a great car,but not the greatest car on earth,take it off the shrine and oh...here's a thought,actually wait until YOU DRIVE THE NEW GTO to **** all over it.so,if you're reading this,GM,we're not all crying morons with no sense of history and why are you guys wasting time reading this and not busy making the new f-body.
Old 10-06-2002, 09:05 PM

Re: OMG....the new GTO SUCKS..

Originally posted by Pentatonic

*Yawn*...all this because the girl down the street in the Grand Am won't go out with you

I'm sure everyone else already set you straight on the rest. BTW, welcome to six months ago...

Quick Reply: OMG....the new GTO SUCKS..