Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

This is an odd thought.......

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2005, 08:59 AM

Re: This is an odd thought.......

Originally Posted by MarineReconZ28
It sold alright for a few years, then they abandoned it in marketing, upgrades, and then completely. It wasn't a failure, it just wasn't a huge success. There is room in the middle.
How many ads in any media did the last version of mustang have in it's last few years? IIRC, not too many. Hell, ever since the initial launch there haven't been many ads for the new one either, they still sell great, and sold great even when it was a tired old SN95. Hell, people still bought SN95s even when they knew a new and improved version was coming out right around the corner. Now that's a great car and a true success.

If fbody wasn't a failure, they would have developed a replacement for it rather than kill it. If you'd rather term it somewhere in the middle, that's up to you, but it's pretty obvious what GM thought about it.
Old 08-30-2005, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by jg95z28
I'm sorry but I personally don't think the 4th gen "failed" nor have I ever seen anywhere that GM claimed it was a failure. Yes they didn't sell well, however the majority of that can be attributed to almost zero marketing at the tail end of its life. To write off the 4th gen Camaro as a complete failure is asinine if you ask me; especially when you consider that the quickest and most powerful Camaros in the entire history of the car where the last year LS1s.

Old 08-30-2005, 10:44 AM
Disciple

I think the answer is yes to both ...

I also don't think the 4th gen failed. I believe it was a victim of circumstance: built in a plant too big for the production numbers in a location GM wanted to abandon, constricted by labour agreements, not sharing a platform with other GM products, not getting the updates it needed, etc. I believe from many conversations I have had that it will go down in history as one of the most underestimated and unappreciated automotive bargains in history.
Old 08-30-2005, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by raven05649
I Think all are right. There was a lack of success in gen 4 because of marketing and the car was to far off from public need.

I find it strange, that 98-02 4th Gens Camaros often appeared as a sybol of caring about your car, or beauty. My example is this, I remember many different companys have a picture in a magazine where a hand is on the hood of a camaro with a spung and a bit of soap suds. Or the enterprise rental car comercial where they want to see the guy or girl in style in the 4th gen camaro. Or the Paint advertisements that use the Ws6/SS as a prime example of how a "their" paint job looks, or how a paint job ought to look. or the Interstate battery company has camaros on the side of their trucks showing reliablity, or the light company Sylvania uses a camaro to show their lights off in their advertisements...

Why was the camaro such a symbol in advertisement used by other companys but GM abandoned the car? even a 7 year old design is still being advertised as beauty, or a symbol of an owners care for his/her car?

I mean this is the reason we are all here, we care about the queen in our driveway. but has anyone else noticed that the camaro is used to advertise care? or beauty?
Old 08-30-2005, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by dav305z
The bottom line is that the Camaro failed even as other cars in the segment fourished. I'm not just talking about Mustang (although that would be enough). The Eclipse and to a lesser extent the Celica also rose to cult status during the 90's.
HUH?!?! Other sports coupes "flourished"? Someone please post the decline in overall sports coupe sales in the 90's. It was pretty substantial. Of the two cars you mentioned, the Celica is dead (though replaced by the Scion tC, granted) and Eclipse sold in even fewer numbers than the "failed" 4th Gen Camaro. "Rising to cult status" doesn't mean you're a success, and if it does, you could consider the '93-'02 Camaro an even bigger "cult" success.

The problem with the 4th Gen near the end was that it was trying to succeed based on 1980's principles. Besides the skin and interior, the car was basically a 1982 Camaro. The low-slung, 4 seat Corvette idea that worked so well for it 20 years ago simply doesn't work today, if you're talking about selling a volume pony car anyway.
Old 08-30-2005, 12:05 PM

i still think that there were alot more things than we know about that contributed to the demise of the fbody. the labor agreement, the plant, etc. but i also think that the car was built as an ENTHUSIASTS car! the general public didn't care how well it handled or how much power it had. we did and thats what we got and look how it sold. i'll be the first to admit my 4th gen isn't a practical daily driver(thats why i have other cars) but it's fun as hell when i go racing or take it to the strip. unfortunately, the rest of the country doesn't share in the latter.
Old 08-30-2005, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by jg95z28
And Ford no longer makes the Model A. I guess that makes them a failure in your eyes as well.
The only tihng that died was the name.

They replaced the model A with something new.

Camaro now equals..........

You got it. Nothing.
Old 08-30-2005, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by graham
The only tihng that died was the name.

They replaced the model A with something new.

Camaro now equals..........

You got it. Nothing.
If you drink the Chevy marketing Kool-Aid, Camaro was replaced....by Cavalier/Cobalt coupe and Monte Carlo.
Old 08-30-2005, 12:36 PM

Is that like Jackson's Jesus juice?
Old 08-30-2005, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by graham
Is that like Jackson's Jesus juice?

now that WAS funny.