Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Nissan truck recall

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 07:32 AM
Banned

Nissan truck recall

For anyone in the snowy states who has a 2005-2009 Nissan Frontier, Pathfinder, or X-terra, this could affect you.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090107/.../nissan_recall

WASHINGTON – Nissan Motor Co. is recalling more than 240,000 trucks in 20 cold weather states to fix a problem that could prevent front air bags from deploying in a crash.

The government said in a posting on its Web site Wednesday that the recall affects the Frontier, Pathfinder and Xterra from the 2005-2009 model years.

In states where winter time road salt is used, a mixture of snow, water and salt could enter a crash zone sensor area and rust, interrupting the signal. The Japanese automaker said that could prevent the front air bags from deploying in a crash.

Nissan spokesman Colin Price said the problem was discovered through warranty claims and no crashes or injuries have been linked to the issue. He said the red air bag warning light illuminates to alert the driver of the problem.

A total of 242,720 vehicles are part of the recall and it involves trucks sold or currently registered in 20 states and the District of Columbia. The states are: Connecticut, Delaware, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont, West Virginia and Wisconsin.

Price said owners in the cold weather states should be notified of the recall by mail later this month. Dealers will install a redesigned sensor at no cost.

Owners in other states will receive extended warranty coverage to 10 years for the sensor, the company said. Owners may contact Nissan at (800) 647-7261.
Old 01-08-2009, 08:27 AM

I got an even better ad about this...

Nissan recalling more than 240,000 trucks
"WASHINGTON – Nissan Motor Co. is recalling more than 240,000 trucks in 20 cold weather states to fix a problem that could prevent front air bags from deploying in a crash.

The government said in a posting on its Web site Wednesday that the recall affects the Frontier, Pathfinder and Xterra for the 2005-2009 model years.

In states where winter time road salt is used, a mix of snow and salt could enter a crash zone sensor area and rust, interrupting the signal and potentially preventing the front air bags from deploying in a crash.

Nissan spokesman Colin Price said the problem was discovered through warranty claims and there had been no crashes or injuries linked to the issue."

Now I want you to read that VERY carefully.

The problem is the airbags don't/won't deploy during a crash, yet in the last sentence they say there have been no crashes linked to this issue.

How does stuff like this get through proof readers, editors, and typesetters, and make it to the open world?
And we have another thread about media bias going on at the same time to boot. The media is becoming more and more of a joke as I get older. Don't believe me, just watch Leno a couple times.

As for Nissan, Kudos to them for stepping up and acting on this before someone is hurt or killed. I give them the same props I would GM or Ford or anyone else who admits to a situation and wants to fix it, as opposed to trying to blame the condition on the owner somehow and side-step the liability.
Old 01-08-2009, 08:43 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by ProudPony
Now I want you to read that VERY carefully.

The problem is the airbags don't/won't deploy during a crash, yet in the last sentence they say there have been no crashes linked to this issue.

How does stuff like this get through proof readers, editors, and typesetters, and make it to the open world?
Seems to me the manufacturer identified an issue that could cause a problem before it actually became a problem. It's happened before. Something doesn't necessarily have to happen for you to know it could happen.
Old 01-08-2009, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by shock6906
Seems to me the manufacturer identified an issue that could cause a problem before it actually became a problem. It's happened before. Something doesn't necessarily have to happen for you to know it could happen.
His point is how does the failure of an airbag to deploy cause a crash.
Old 01-08-2009, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by SSCamaro99_3
THANK YOU.
Old 01-08-2009, 03:59 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by SSCamaro99_3
Originally Posted by ProudPony
THANK YOU.

Ah well, guess he's got a point there.