Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Nissan Titan official re-rated HP figures for '07

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2006, 12:20 PM

Re: Nissan Titan official re-rated HP figures for '07

Originally Posted by Robert_Nashville
GRNcamaro,

Alone those lines here is one source that some may find interesting http://www.census.gov/prod/ec02/ec02tv-us.pdf . The Vehicle Inventory and Use Survey conducted by the Census bureau every five years has some interesting facts (unfortunatly nothing speicific about towing) which include that of all trucks registered; 77% are for personal transportaion while 20% are operated for business. I'm going to keep looking as I think in only a matter of time before I find a study that deals with towing use.
you do relise that has absolutly nothing to do with how many trucks tow. more along the lines of how a vehical is registered with comercial plate and passanger plates or along thouse line.

so wait can does that mean the 20% of comerical vehicals we can assume are hauling and or towing? im willing to bet that at least 50% of the 77% of persoanl trucks tow or are used to haul stuff. that would be the majority

Last edited by GRNcamaro; 10-02-2006 at 12:33 PM.
Old 10-02-2006, 12:31 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by GRNcamaro
you do relise that has absolutly nothing to do with how many trucks tow. more along the lines of how a vehical is registered with comercial plate and passanger plates.
See my just re-written post (or better yet, read the survey) and you'll see more relavent information.

That aside, it's not "commercial plate" vs "passenger plates" as many states require "commercial plates" for all pickups whether they are registered to a business or a single person.

I really don't care what you are 'willing to bet" and, again, just telling me I'm wrong and you are right because you want it to be that way does not advance the argument.

Last edited by Robert_Nashville; 10-02-2006 at 12:35 PM.
Old 10-02-2006, 01:00 PM

GRNcamaro,

(http://www.census.gov/svsd/www/vius/2002.html ). On page 62 of that publication there is data concerning “Truck Miles Distribution by Operational Characteristics” and one of the characteristics is the number of miles driven while pulling a trailer. Of the total survey miles driven, a trailer of some kind was pulled 11% of the time.

Now, that doesn’t mean 11% of all trucks pull trailers and 91% don’t but at the very least, the data gives some idea of the relative importance towing capacity might be in a truck buyer’s buying decision.

Give me some independent figures to back up your contention about how many pickups are actually used for towing in their lifetime or that towing capacity is even an important consideration in most half ton pickup truck sales and then we’ll have something to talk about; until then, continuing to tell you are right and I’m wrong is pointless.

you really need to go back and look at that page. that survay is so tainted for the puropse your trying to use it. the all section which im gona asume your using becuase the other one excludes pickups. so the colum your using incoperates semis, medium class trucks, any light class truck, mini vans, light vans, suv's. the only thing they didnt include was cars and bikes. how are you gona pull statistics for light class pickups out of that.
Old 10-02-2006, 01:03 PM
Banned

it gives no figures what so ever. its saying that 20% of trucks are used for commercial purposes. and the rest are used privately. there is nothing in there what so ever about towing or hauling. your assuming that the 77 percent of private trucks dont haul campers, car trailers, boats, ect. there is not one statistic in there about towing just how truck are registered.

cant find it there to much infor an no page 67 there bud.

that statisitc still says nothing about how many trucks tow. i use my truck ever day for commuting i have 118 on the odometer and there is a good possiblity that out of the 11% of it was under tow. my other truck gets used for towing more. but even if all trucks only have 11% towing in your mind your still not gona get away with a truck that can only tow 6000 pounds when you need a truck that has to haul a 10,000 pound boat. and if you have to haul a 10,000 pound boat your gona take the into concideration when buying a truck not that well my truck is only gona haul 11% of the time.
The only one making assumptions here is you...the data of trailering miles out of total miles driven is in table 8 on page 62 of 66 in the PDF document unter the subtital I gave; if you can't find it that way then look in the table of contents to find the section and subsection.

I really dont' care how you use your truck...that's worthless as a basis for your argument. Using that logic I can say no pickups are ever used for towing based on the fact that I've never towed anyting with my Titan and I never towed anyting with my F150 before that or my F150 before that!
Old 10-02-2006, 01:11 PM
Banned

you really need to go back and look at that page. that survay is so tainted for the puropse your trying to use it. the all section which im gona asume your using becuase the other one excludes pickups. so the colum your using incoperates semis, medium class trucks, any light class truck, mini vans, light vans, suv's. the only thing they didnt include was cars and bikes. how are you gona pull statistics for light class pickups out of that.
I"m sorry that the Census bureau doesn't conduct their survey in a manner that would have limited it to just half ton pickups with eight cylinders. I never said it applies to only light trucks; it applies to the light truck market segment which includes a lot of vehicles.

Actually, the 11% figure is probably tilted to your favor because of the total, they are including some pickup configurations that are probably used extensively for towing. That means that 11% use is probably too high to indicate real towing use.

The bottom line is your argument is worthless becasue you have nothing to offer except to say I'm wrong and you are right...you don't like the census bureau figures then cite some legitimate sources that support your contention.
Old 10-02-2006, 01:12 PM

The only one making assumptions here is you...the data of trailering miles out of total miles driven is in table 8 on page 62 of 66 in the PDF document unter the subtital I gave; if you can't find it that way then look in the table of contents to find the section and subsection.

I really dont' care how you use your truck...that's worthless as a basis for your argument. Using that logic I can say no pickups are ever used for towing based on the fact that I've never towed anyting with my Titan and I never towed anyting with my F150 before that or my F150 before that!
wow thats a good one im the only one making assumptions wow and then you go on to talk about how you use your truck so ever one else uses it that way. and that how you dont see trucks with something in tow so they dont tow

i didnt mean i as in Me i ment I as a consumer shoping for a truck.
Old 10-02-2006, 01:19 PM
Banned

wow thats a good one im the only one making assumptions wow and then you go on to talk about how you use your truck so ever one else uses it that way. and that how you dont see trucks with something in tow so they dont tow

i didnt mean i as in Me i ment I as a consumer shoping for a truck.
Fine...I'm still waiting for you to cite your sources about how often "i as in Me i ment I as a consumer shoping for a truck" takes towing capacity into account as a legitimate functional need.
Old 10-02-2006, 01:39 PM

there isnt and yours isnt any good either if you read post 48. i tried all morning to find something to go either way and there just isnt. but a trucks is design to hual and tow so bassed on it design purpose its fair to compare trucks to towing and hauling as that is what they are design to do.
it is to hard to messure how people use there truck or to even track how a truck is used during the corse of its life becuase a truck can be owned by several people during its life time.

if your really die hard into proving me wrong your best bet is to call AAA and get something from them

edit:
i relize this is a 3/4 and 1 ton class but maybe this will help a little

These customers often need substantial towing capability to pull horse trailers, large boats and recreational vehicles. In fact, 90 percent of Super Duty owners tow with their vehicle and 80 percent haul.
http://media.ford.com/newsroom/relea...?release=23664

Last edited by GRNcamaro; 10-02-2006 at 01:47 PM.
Old 10-02-2006, 02:56 PM
Banned

there isnt and yours isnt any good either if you read post 48. i tried all morning to find something to go either way and there just isnt. but a trucks is design to hual and tow so bassed on it design purpose its fair to compare trucks to towing and hauling as that is what they are design to do.
it is to hard to messure how people use there truck or to even track how a truck is used during the corse of its life becuase a truck can be owned by several people during its life time.

if your really die hard into proving me wrong your best bet is to call AAA and get something from them

edit:
i relize this is a 3/4 and 1 ton class but maybe this will help a little

These customers often need substantial towing capability to pull horse trailers, large boats and recreational vehicles. In fact, 90 percent of Super Duty owners tow with their vehicle and 80 percent haul.
http://media.ford.com/newsroom/relea...?release=23664
I grant that for those who really are going to tow something, towing capacity is an issue but I say very few half ton pickups ever tow anything and I have at least offered some independent data that tends to support my opinion.

I realize you don’t like the Census bureau data and I admit it isn’t perfectly applicable to this discussion about half ton pickups and towing use but I suspect your problem with the data has more to do with it tending to support my position rather than a legitimate objection.

The Ford press release about its three-quarter and full ton pickups is Ok as far as it goes (although I’d sure like to see the source for their claim) and I grant that heavy duty/three-quarter/full ton pickups likely get used a great deal for towing but I don’t see how that actually helps here.

We come back again to the primary support of your opinion being essentially that “you are right and I am wrong”. You are free to believe whatever you want but I’m not going to change my opinion just because you keep claiming I’m wrong.
Old 10-02-2006, 03:23 PM

I grant that for those who really are going to tow something, towing capacity is an issue but I say very few half ton pickups ever tow anything and I have at least offered some independent data that tends to support my opinion.

I realize you don’t like the Census bureau data and I admit it isn’t perfectly applicable to this discussion about half ton pickups and towing use but I suspect your problem with the data has more to do with it tending to support my position rather than a legitimate objection.
i dont like the census bureau data because ever mix of every "truck" is thrown into it. i mean a pt cruiser is considered a compact truck and so is the Honda ridge line also the results are so diluted with mini vans suvs tractor trailers and other vehicle how could you pull out any info on a light truck and even more so a half ton. it does nothing to support you because you cant pull out any thing regarding light truck it such a mix of vehicle that you cant just pull one kind of vehicle out and go well yep see only used to tow 11%. not only is is it imperfect but unsalable. how can you honestly sit there and say it supports your position.

listen i not denying that there are people that buy trucks just to commute or because they can but i think that its about 30% of the trucks sold in terms of 1/2 class. when you get in to the compact truck market i would say you are absolutely right that most will never see a trailer. but a some one who buys a 1/2 ton truck most likely do more then just tow. he will go to the market to get groceries pick up his kids from school and go back and forth to work with it. chances are if the truck lasts to 100,000 miles that maybe 15-20,000 miles some more some less it will be towing some thing . so think about it which do you most likely have a chance of seeing the truck towing something or the person just driving it? does that all of the sudden mean that guy doesn’t have a boat at home or camper because he only tows it once a month and uses the truck the rest of the time as a commuter? i mean you really cant expect a guy to tow a trail every where he goes because he has a truck and he isnt going to use the truck unless he towing. i think between 30% of trucks sold with out ever towing and the lack of people for some reason not to want to drag there trailers where every they go i could see how you come to the impression the few trucks actually tow.

and how does the source help my statement well you said that most people buying a light truck don’t tow. The 3/4 and 1ton although arnt ½ ton trucks there still light trucks

and its a right or wrong assumption not a belief becuase either most people tow and hual with there truck or they dont.

Last edited by GRNcamaro; 10-02-2006 at 03:28 PM.
Old 10-02-2006, 03:29 PM

I think the Titan is a good truck for all the suburbanites I meet everyday that have a truck because they want to. Not because they need to haul or tow a single thing, but because it is 'cool' to have one. This is the group the imports have been able to break into, and I imagine the group that is responsible for the upswing in truck and SUV sales through the 1990s. I do not think we had a great growth in the number of farmers and contractors in the 1990s. It was just that these vehicles were bought by the mainstream who by and large will drive them to work every day. Especially here in the land of Texas.
Old 10-02-2006, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by HAZ-Matt
I think the Titan is a good truck for all the suburbanites I meet everyday that have a truck because they want to. Not because they need to haul or tow a single thing, but because it is 'cool' to have one. This is the group the imports have been able to break into, and I imagine the group that is responsible for the upswing in truck and SUV sales through the 1990s. I do not think we had a great growth in the number of farmers and contractors in the 1990s. It was just that these vehicles were bought by the mainstream who by and large will drive them to work every day. Especially here in the land of Texas.
I think the reason the domestics are popular among contractors and farmers isnt so much their superior towing or hauling ability, but the fact that you can option them down into what are essentially "stripper models."

The Titan isnt a bad truck at all. Anyone remember the Popular Mechanics article that came out a while back comparing the Titan to other full size trucks on the market? I notice how people were ******* the motor at hte beginning of this thread... the '04 Titan outran the 5.3 Chevy and 5.4 Ford down the quartermile with 1000lbs of payload in the bed! I found the article here:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/auto...s/1270591.html

Granted that was 2004, the truck was and still definately is competitive in its class.

If it wasnt for the import trucks targeting customers who were looking for a bit more civility in their daily driven trucks, I doubt Ford or GM would have had as much motivation to upgrade the interiors on their trucks which were definately severly lacking until late.
Old 10-02-2006, 03:48 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by HAZ-Matt
And it's exactly those buyers who kept GM and Ford in the black when their car sales declined.

If you look at several of the earlier Census Bureau surveys it's pretty clear that the lion's share of growth in the "truck" segment has been in private use; not business use.
Old 10-02-2006, 04:31 PM

I'm not sure what this photo proves*:

Other than that some people care less about payload and tow ratings and more about actual capability. You folks go ahead and continue with the mental masturbation; I'm going outside to, ya know, use my truck.

By the way, any manufacturer that doesn't provide an 8' bed is damn unlikely to ever get my business. It's a tool, not a fashion statement.

*I'm pretty sure it only proves that I like to abuse my truck and then brag about it.

Last edited by Eric Bryant; 10-02-2006 at 04:39 PM.
Old 10-02-2006, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by Eric Bryant
I'm not sure what this photo proves*:

[/SIZE]
That you have very little concern for the possibility of you having a frontal collission and the one strap keeping that load from flying forward through your cab and over your cab breaking from the sudden impact?

Actually I can't tell but it looks like you didn't secure it very well from moving forward.

Quick Reply: Nissan Titan official re-rated HP figures for '07