Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Nissan Titan official re-rated HP figures for '07

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2006, 07:49 PM

Re: Nissan Titan official re-rated HP figures for '07

The titan has a rear and FRONT posi which is something I don't know of the other 3 doing.
This is huge for me or someone who wants a 4x4 that acutally can go everywhere, and a posi in both axles definitaly is a huge impovement in capability over open gears.

...waiting for the other 3 to catch up....
Old 09-28-2006, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by Threxx
I'm talking in terms of the majority of lux car sales, where you'll find the plain ol' 290-320hp Northstar amongst the majority of the rest of the market at the 370-400hp range (without getting into the sport models)
Who has a 400HP base V8?

4.4L S/C is a specialty engine. The Northstar needs at least 350HP with the DI V6's coming in at 300HP+ in '07

Originally Posted by toneloc12345
hasn't the northstar been around since like 94 or something???
The First Generation came out around then, the RWD version that came out in 2003 is about 80% all new.

What does the Northstar have to do with the Nissan 5.6L. The 5.6L isn't used in cars. Apple to oranges. GMs 5.3L is a little short on torque (340) but the 6.0L crushes everone in HP (367-400HP). If the 6.2L replaces the 6.0L I hope they up the midrange V8 displacement back up to 5.7L. Although a 3v DI 5.3L could work too.
Old 09-28-2006, 09:23 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by PacerX
The "next" party has a cover charge of 367hp in a half-ton.

The MIDLEVEL 5.3 liter Chevrolet motor makes equivalent power to the top level motor available in the Titan, 315hp vs. 317hp.

And you're right, if it were the only measure, it wouldn't be quite so humiliating...

But the 5.3 liter does so with half as many valves, a lighter weight, smaller size physical size and better fuel economy.

Even beat 'em in specific output...

http://www.chevrolet.com/silverado/prelaunch/
Next party? Please tell me what is the point of a comparrison of a vehicle designed 6-8 years ago to one that hasn't even hit the streets yet? Do you really think GM is the only one coming out with newer/different offerings than what is currently on the market??? Come on, I know you are smarter than that.

By the way, I don't know when the "2007" your link went to is really coming out but according to Chevy's current website ( http://www.chevrolet.com/silverado/ ), the 2007 Silverado's 5.3L is rated at 295HP/335lbs torque.

The Titan is quickly approaching it's first complete re-design; do you think, just maybe, the engine might be in for a bit of a change as well?

And just to clarify, there is no top, mid or bottom "level" as far as engine goes in the Titan; whether you buy a stripper or one completely loaded it's the same engine and same HP/Torque.

Last edited by Robert_Nashville; 09-28-2006 at 09:51 PM.
Old 09-29-2006, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by Z28x
Who has a 400HP base V8?
Lexus will within the next few months in the GS460 and then the SC460.
Old 09-29-2006, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by Threxx
Lexus will within the next few months in the GS460 and then the SC460.
All I've read is 380HP for that engine....but either way I agree the Northstar needs more power. 350HP+ would be nice. THe Ultra V8s should fix all that and then some. 400HP 5.0L Northstar Ultra
Old 09-29-2006, 03:30 PM

So HP is now more important that TQ numbers for the CZ28 crowd? I get so confused, because it seems to change depending on the ranking of each manufacturer relative to one another each year.

There may be a great number of reasons to criticize the Titan, but the motor doesn't seem to top the list.
Old 09-29-2006, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by Eric Bryant
So HP is now more important that TQ numbers for the CZ28 crowd? I get so confused, because it seems to change depending on the ranking of each manufacturer relative to one another each year.

There may be a great number of reasons to criticize the Titan, but the motor doesn't seem to top the list.
Yeah it's definitely funny how much the opinion of this forum changes based on the current standings.

The whole discussion about the 3.7 I5 from GM vs the 4.2 V6 from Toyota was hinged around whether the torque curve and peak was more important (advantage: Toyota by a moderate margin) or if peak horsepower was more important (advantage: GM by a small margin)... the guys were downplaying torque so much it was funny. "Yeah but the GM motor is more powerful"... heh... ok, yes, at peak horsepower rating, it's more powerful.

Reverse the badges and I think torque would have become much more important.
Old 09-29-2006, 04:54 PM

I don't get the point. Of course there is gonna be bias on this board. Just like if you go to toyotanation.com or whatever the heck that was, it would be much the same way.
I wouldn't expect this board to be objective.
Old 09-29-2006, 04:57 PM

when your buying a truck tq is the important number to me cause a truck is all about hauling. my question is though why would you want 400 horse power in a luxury sedan? Because we like speed i don’t think the majority of people shopping in the luxury department go well the Lexus is 380 and the caddy is only 350 so ill take the Lexus. i think there gona take what ever car is plusher and has adequate power for every day driving and possibly better fuel milage.

any one take a good look at the titan and the 1500 gmc okay so it has slightly more torque. but did any one take a look and see the pay load and towing capacity of the titan what good is it if its less then the gmc. titan payload is 1,420 with a towing capacity of 9,500. the gmc pay load 2160 with a towing capacity of 10,500. I don’t know what good that extra torque is if you cant use it.
Old 09-29-2006, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by unvc92camarors
I wouldn't expect this board to be objective.
Neither would I. I find the Lexus board and some of its obvious biases to be equally frustrating and entertaining at the same time.
Old 09-30-2006, 08:08 AM

I'm very impressed with the front axle posi option for a titan..... Wish I could have got that with my new truck.
Old 09-30-2006, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by toneloc12345
I'm very impressed with the front axle posi option for a titan..... Wish I could have got that with my new truck.
chevy offers locker on the new 07 gmc1500 on the rear. i would seriously worrie about posi in a 4x4 truck though.posi uses friction discs wich wear out. 4x4's are notorius for binding up if not used properly which a lot of people dont. i think 4x4 truck would burn the posi up in a few short years. but i could be wrong.

Limited Slip/Posi's
Limited-slip differentials behave very much like open differentials. Through various forms of friction mechanisms, they transfer a relatively small amount of power to the non-slipping wheel. They are generally smooth and quiet, but as the name implies, performance improvement is limited. Friction clutches reduce gas mileage, degrade under normal driving conditions, easily overheat when slipping and usually wear out rapidly becoming useless. The clutch packs require that friction/silencer additives be added to the differential fluid, which reduces overall lubrication effectiveness. Despite the marginal traction benefits offered by limited-slip/posi differentials, consumers have had little alternative but to accept the limited-slip/posi differential options offered by vehicle manufacturers, for marginal traction improvement, in lieu of conventional open differentials.

http://www.powertrax.com/tractioninfo.html
Old 09-30-2006, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by Z28x
THe Ultra V8s should fix all that and then some. 400HP 5.0L Northstar Ultra
Is that back on? I was pretty sure it wasnt too high on the priority list.
Old 09-30-2006, 09:27 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by GRNcamaro
when your buying a truck tq is the important number to me cause a truck is all about hauling. my question is though why would you want 400 horse power in a luxury sedan? Because we like speed i don’t think the majority of people shopping in the luxury department go well the Lexus is 380 and the caddy is only 350 so ill take the Lexus. i think there gona take what ever car is plusher and has adequate power for every day driving and possibly better fuel milage.

any one take a good look at the titan and the 1500 gmc okay so it has slightly more torque. but did any one take a look and see the pay load and towing capacity of the titan what good is it if its less then the gmc. titan payload is 1,420 with a towing capacity of 9,500. the gmc pay load 2160 with a towing capacity of 10,500. I don’t know what good that extra torque is if you cant use it.
I think you are, shall I say, less than transparent with your figures.

The Silverado model closest to the Titan is the 1500 extended or crew cab with the 5.3L. In that configuration; the 1500 has a towing capacity ranging from 6,800 up to 8,500 with a max payload ranging from 1,829 to 2,010 depending on the box size and whether it’s a 2WD or 4WD. Curb weights range from 4,743 to 5.371 – all per http://www.chevrolet.com/silverado/specifications/

The only way to get to the 10,500 towing capacity in the 1500 Silverado is with the 1500 4WD with the 6.0L. By the way, the numbers for the GMC are slightly different but you still need to 6.0L to get to 10,500.

The Titan’s curb weights run from 4,835 to a max of 5,097 with payloads from 1,198 up to 1,588 and towing capacities range from 6,500 to 9,500

Now, you can do what you want but legitimate comparisons are usually a lot more meaningful when you compare apples to apples…if you think it really worthwhile to compare a configuration of GM to one not offered by Nissan and draw conclusions from that then I guess you can do that.

However, this whole discussion of towing capacity and payload is only important to that small percentage that actually TOW something with their truck and even then, it’s only a real concern if what they want to tow is approaching the limit of their vehicle.

Frankly, most people who buy pick-up’s today, especially decked out pick-up’s don’t really give a rip about towing capacity or payload because the heaviest things they usually haul around are the weekly groceries and the occasional bed full of mulch.

Last edited by Robert_Nashville; 09-30-2006 at 09:35 PM.
Old 09-30-2006, 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by Robert_Nashville
I think you are, shall I say, less than transparent with your figures.

The Silverado model closest to the Titan is the 1500 extended or crew cab with the 5.3L.
Only because the Titan can't hack the 6.0 liter equipped half-ton Silverados, so you don't want them in the comparison.

Which is the whole point.

BTW, that's NOT the new 1500HD that should be making it's appearance shortly...

The only way to get to the 10,500 towing capacity in the 1500 Silverado is with the 1500 4WD with the 6.0L.
The 2WD trucks come in at 10,300.

1500 2WD Extended Cab with MAX Trailering Package 10,300

Now, you can do what you want but legitimate comparisons are usually a lot more meaningful when you compare apples to apples…
I'd call half ton vs. half ton apples to apples. You just happen not to like because the pseudo-truck gets blown into the weeds.

Payload? Silverado
Towing Capacity? Silverado
Horsepower? Silverado
Fuel economy? Silverado

because the heaviest things they usually haul around are the weekly groceries and the occasional bed full of mulch.

Well then the Titan is ideal for it's market - people who don't really want a truck.

Last edited by PacerX; 09-30-2006 at 10:28 PM.

Quick Reply: Nissan Titan official re-rated HP figures for '07