Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Next Impala pushed back to 2013 from 2011

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by guionM
...When the economy does start to rebound, the pent up demand for automobiles is first going to show up in the family car... the midsize car. People are going to go for the best car they can get that they can afford. If they kept a job during this downturn, that means they are going to be willing to pay a little more to get something that offers the most for the money, but also is a visual statement of optimism and flash as was the case during other economic recoveries.

Ford will have a new Taurus.

Chrysler if it survives, will have new LX cars.

Nissan, Toyota, and Honda will have new or at least restyled family cars.

GM will have the same Impala it's been selling since the fall of 2005.

But at least it will have a $40,000 Volt.
Ok, now that's depressing!
Old 02-24-2009, 10:43 PM

I think we would have gotten a great new Impala if the car market had not imploded.

The problem is, when GM does it's best..it normally is "almost" as good as it's competition...like the current Malibu. I mean the fact that you cannot get nav in a Malibu...come on.

It really seems you never get a class leader out of GM.
Old 02-24-2009, 11:22 PM

The really sad part is, if GM would have felt things alone we would be a matter of months away from having an awesome Zeta Impala.
Old 02-24-2009, 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by formula79
I think we would have gotten a great new Impala if the car market had not imploded.
'If' is no longer a valid condition to an argument. GM need to stop the excuses for not giving us the cars we want! They've been over-promising and under/not delivering for years.

That '1 mpg' excuse for canning the RWDs is the flimsiest argument I've ever heard in my life. It's total BS - case in point - the press release for the Cadillac SRX states that the new 3.0L DI engine, paired with the 6-spd auto consumes 10-15% less fuel than the previous model. If that is true, then surely GM could have more than compensated fitting such powertrains into their RWD cars?

It takes a strong leader to make the brave decisions. You can't procrastinate and cancel projects every time the market shifts to expose some of your other weaknesses. Cars bring out the emotions in a person. Cars are an extension of your personality. Your personality doesn't change all the time, does it? GM should stay true to the formula made them great... and I'm not referring to the many brands either.
Old 02-24-2009, 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by SSbaby
That '1 mpg' excuse for canning the RWDs is the flimsiest argument I've ever heard in my life. It's total BS
You're right, it is total BS. The real issue is that GM's bread-n-butter customers have been driving with the front-wheels for 25 years and they don't want RWD. The current Impala is a rolling loaf of wonder bread, there's simply no way they could replace it with a RWD product and sell it to the same people.

I would love to see a RWD sedan off the Zeta architecture, but it should be niche marketed to performance enthusiasts (like the Camaro) and not as replacement for the mainstream Impala.
Old 02-25-2009, 12:35 AM
West South Central Moderator

Originally Posted by 30thZ286speed
The really sad part is, if GM would have felt things alone we would be a matter of months away from having an awesome Zeta Impala.
that's how I was feeling as I was checking out the Camaros at the Auto Show...
Old 02-25-2009, 12:53 AM
West South Central Moderator

Originally Posted by flowmotion
You're right, it is total BS. The real issue is that GM's bread-n-butter customers have been driving with the front-wheels for 25 years and they don't want RWD. The current Impala is a rolling loaf of wonder bread, there's simply no way they could replace it with a RWD product and sell it to the same people.

I would love to see a RWD sedan off the Zeta architecture, but it should be niche marketed to performance enthusiasts (like the Camaro) and not as replacement for the mainstream Impala.
That is the reason the Malibu was moved a bit more upscale in size and content. To try to keep the FWD buyers happy while the Impala moved upscale to RWD.

Chevrolet has had several names for midsize sedans over the years. However, the Impala has always been the largest sedan available. If Chevy were to get a larger RWD sedan, what historic nameplate could they bring back? Caprice, Bel Air, Biscayne, or Delray?

Since Buick is supposedly "safe" I hope they end up getting the rumored Zeta sedan. As a Buick it could sell at a higher price than a Chevrolet to bring in more profit.
Old 02-25-2009, 12:55 AM

Originally Posted by formula79

The problem is, when GM does it's best..it normally is "almost" as good as it's competition...like the current Malibu. I mean the fact that you cannot get nav in a Malibu...come on.

It really seems you never get a class leader out of GM.
I'd still put the Malibu at the head of it's class, though by no means should GM stand still on the car (which I fear will happen).

Navigation alone doesn't ruin the whole car
Old 02-25-2009, 04:32 AM

Originally Posted by AdioSS
Chevrolet has had several names for midsize sedans over the years. However, the Impala has always been the largest sedan available. If Chevy were to get a larger RWD sedan, what historic nameplate could they bring back? Caprice, Bel Air, Biscayne, or Delray?
It sounds like the Extended Epsilon platform (Buick LaCrosse) is bigger than the Holden Commodore/Pontiac G8. So an Impala on that platform would still be the size queen - bigger that the current W-body.

What I'm suggesting is that GM could bring in a smaller short wheelbase/long hood Zeta car similar to a 4 door Camaro and sell it as a "Chevelle" (name doesn't really matter) to people who want a muscle sedan.

They don't need to use Zeta to build a large car -- FWD is more space efficient and you can drop an Ecotec in there and get good mileage. That's a much better fit for the white bread market.
Old 02-25-2009, 06:41 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by 97z28/m6
[2006 Impala Interior]
or
[2006 Ford Five Hundred interior]
or
[2006 Chrysler 300C interior]
or
[2006 Toyota Avalon interior]

and you thinks it doesn't need a massive redo?
As I said, it could stand some new materials, but the design is still up to date. On style alone, I'd take the Impala over all of the above. Maybe it's because I prefer dark interiors. I think the 300C interior shown above is just awful. Those Avalon seats look nice and cushy, but I'll bet there's no bolstering whatsoever.

Didn't they change the interior when they changed from Five Hundred to Taurus?

Originally Posted by Z28x
[2010 Ford Taurus interior]

^ This tops all of those
Indeed it does.
Old 02-25-2009, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by JakeRobb
As I said, it could stand some new materials, but the design is still up to date. On style alone, I'd take the Impala over all of the above. Maybe it's because I prefer dark interiors. I think the 300C interior shown above is just awful. Those Avalon seats look nice and cushy, but I'll bet there's no bolstering whatsoever.

Didn't they change the interior when they changed from Five Hundred to Taurus?

Indeed it does.
well the design isn't the best i don't mind it either. the materials used are awful tho and thats what needs the redo and they can update the design a bit while doing that. it should be nicer then the malibu.

the changes were minimal..just trim stuff i believe.

EDIT: this is the 09 taurus interior:
Old 02-25-2009, 09:27 AM
Super Moderator

well the design isn't the best i don't mind it either. the materials used are awful tho
As I said earlier, my in-laws own an '06 3LT. The materials aren't class-leading, but they are far from awful. They're just plain.
Old 02-25-2009, 09:49 AM

As I said earlier, my in-laws own an '06 3LT. The materials aren't class-leading, but they are far from awful. They're just plain.
well i've seen/drove a few and imo they are awful. very cheap looking. it should be better then the malibu and its not. its on par with the cobalt.
Old 02-25-2009, 09:53 AM
Super Moderator

well i've seen/drove a few and imo they are awful. very cheap looking. it should be better then the malibu and its not. its on par with the cobalt.
Don't kid yourself -- it's much nicer than the Cobalt.

It's better than the Malibu that was out when it was last redesigned. The next time they redesign it, it needs to be better than whatever Malibu we have then.
Old 02-25-2009, 09:55 AM

Don't kid yourself -- it's much nicer than the Cobalt.

It's better than the Malibu that was out when it was last redesigned. The next time they redesign it, it needs to be better than whatever Malibu we have then.
not to me. looks like its the same plastic.

Quick Reply: Next Impala pushed back to 2013 from 2011