Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Next Gen Nissan Skyline to be shown this Fall!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2003, 12:29 AM

Next Gen Nissan Skyline to be shown this Fall!!!

Fresh Alloy UBB

This time it's coming to North America!! It'll cost in the neighborhood of 60-70 grand..I'm not sure how much interest it will generate on this message board, but for me there have always been two cars I've always lusted over: the Skyline and the Corvette...Bottom line is that it's coming to our market, and more outrageously high-powered cars to choose from, the better it is for us as consumers/enthusiasts, right?
Old 07-29-2003, 12:36 AM

Can't say that I've ever driven a Skyline (except on PlayStation that is)....but I think that they are awesome, especially the GTR.

I always thought those four round taillights looked Camaro-esque to me.
Old 07-29-2003, 12:41 AM

I see a mix of G35 and Ferrari. A good looking concept. A little pricy, but I do admit that I do not know enough about those cars. The only thing I know is that they're AWD, have crazy turbo engines that withstand gobs of boost... and... and.. and that it was in the 2Fast & 2Furious (what a dumb, plot-less movie. cool cars, though).

what makes it so expensive? does it have a frame, like Viper/Corvette? does it have gold-plated shifter ?
Old 07-29-2003, 04:47 AM

I was hoping that the boosted I6 would stay, but that doesn't seem to be the case. I've heard the rumors about the TT VQ35 and the VK as possible engines. It would be nice to have the TT VQ35 due to the ease of upgrades. I'll be very disappointed if they move away from turbo engines in the Skyline. They are known for bein easily tuned for massive power. 400hp seems like a good starting point if they want to go after the base Corvette. They'll need even more than that if they want to go after the C6 Z06, the SRT-10, and the GT2. 500hp is minimal for the the market that the Skyline will enter.
Old 07-29-2003, 06:37 AM

It looks like a G35 with a body kit.
Old 07-29-2003, 06:47 AM

Looks sharp, but if they're serious about the price tag then this thing had better be a monster straight out of the box - Burmite's 500 HP comment sounds just about right.
Old 07-29-2003, 08:01 AM

Skylines in the Past R32, R33, and R34's have been TT I6's. Yet advertised HP levels were in compliance with Japan's regulations so while they all said 276hp real output was more like 325-345hp for the R34 GTR. What makes them strong is a built I6 much like a Supra, then turbocharged, add AWD capabilities and the car flies from stoplight to stoplight. They are stout machines and very very mod friendly. Not sure if they are worth the extreem cost but certainly on par with C6 pricing.

Anyone notice a trend here, Skyline and Supra comming, 350Z and RX8 returned, not to mention the EVO and the WRX. The Japanese have reloaded there performance car lines and only Ford and to some extent Dodge has answered the call..... GM whare are ya??
Old 07-29-2003, 08:20 AM

Most of the cars you mentioned, compete with the Corvette so to answer your question, they have been here all along. However, now the time has come for the more cost friendly performance cars and maybe we can send the imports packing again like in the mid 90's.
Old 07-29-2003, 08:54 AM

Thumbs up

Not bad looking concept (the big concept at the top of that page... the other one with the weird looking front end is fugly). Kinda 3050Z/Supra ish IMO. And gasp, the headlights look ok too. A new Japanese car without the horrible 350Z style headlights!! What's next a new 5th Gen f-bod announced next week?

Someone speculated 70 grand and that may not be too far off the mark, considering the cost of the N/A 320 HP 911 Carera 4S is around $80k. Perhaps this is the teritory they are aiming to break into or maybe even into the 911 Turbo's teritory depending on what engine options are available.
Old 07-29-2003, 11:55 AM
slt

Originally posted by SNEAKY NEIL
Most of the cars you mentioned, compete with the Corvette
Supra, 350Z, RX8, EVO, STI are not aimed at the corvette. Those can all be had for $28-$35K.
Old 07-29-2003, 12:04 PM

Lightbulb

The powers that be at Nissan have said publicly that they're taking dead aim at the Porsche 911 Turbo...I expect it to badged as an Infiniti for North America (to charge a price premium and take advantage of that wonderful dealer service network). I predict a very underrated 450HP and about 3500 lbs (featherweight for an AWD car of its size)

To answer Muckz's question about price of the upcoming car; it's a few factors...One is the high-priced technology that's rumored to be going into engine and AWD system (I'm no mechanic, so I don't understand the AWD specifics).

Two is this car has been and will always be THE halo car for Nissan, and is slated to go hear-to-head with Porsches, Vipers, you name it. Simply put, no matter what the 350Z/Supra/RX7 fans say, the Skyline has the most insane and fanatical following of any sports car to come from Japan...From what I understand, it's had a Corvette-like fan base for more than 30 years., and we all know the Corvette has always demanded a price premium, even in the years when it was far from the fastest/best handling car in its class.

Three is the car is slated to come out about 2006 at the earliest, iirc. $65,000 could easily be the price of entry for insane performance by that time (do NOT be surprised to see the Z06 Corvette, BMW M3, etc. creep up to that price by then..In that case, the Skyline's price could be par for the course
Old 07-29-2003, 01:48 PM

I see the pricing is carrying over from Japan.

Not too long ago I got into a heated long debate on this board with some young person who felt that the current Camaro was a faliure, and the next Camaro should be an AWD Nissan Skyline competitor, and that youth would line up for it.

Well, here's the $70,000 Nissan Skyline. Go ahead young ones.... line up.

On a less sarcastic note, when I was in Japan in the 80's and early 90s, Skylines were to Japan enthusiasts what Corvettes & Mustangs combined are to enthusiasts here. I like the previous editions (though they are on a different planet from my price range), but looking at the new one, I think the G35 with a V8 (a distinct possibility) would be a better buy.
Old 07-29-2003, 01:59 PM

Considering the G35 is the Skyline, that's what the Skyline GT-R should look like. And to be more accurate, the Skyline is already here; the thread should reference the next-gen GT-R.

I would also think at $60-70,000 this car will be an Infiniti.

Last edited by jrp4uc; 07-29-2003 at 02:04 PM.
Old 07-29-2003, 05:15 PM

Word. For 70k Id rather have something that looked unique.
Old 07-29-2003, 08:41 PM

Is the current Skyline(r34) a 2+2 or 2 seater? How bout' this one? Looks kinda like a G35 with a bodykit, as previously mentioned. It even looks like it has the G35's headlights.

Quick Reply: Next Gen Nissan Skyline to be shown this Fall!!!