Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Next gen Focus revealed. Wow!

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 02:47 PM

A few things to note.

That is the top-of-the-line, Titanium version. Non Titanium versions will not have the airdamn extension, and will have smaller wheels.

This is the production car, not a concept.

In the press conference, 41mpg was talked about. However, this is for the standard engine, not the upgraded engine, like in the Cruze. The standard engine also produces 155hp, and can be mated to a 6-speed DCT, or a 6-speed manual. Oh, city mileage should also be better than the Cruze, due to the shut-off feature, and the DCT.

Word is, the "economy" Ecoboost engine, will make a little more power than the base engine, and get better mileage yet. Current guess's are 42-43mpg.

Coupe, 3-door, and Vert are also going to be announced, at other shows. Mercury will also be getting a version. Expect an ST version, and possibly a SVT version, which may, or may not be "our" version of the RS. The platform is also AWD capable.
Old 01-11-2010, 04:07 PM

I actually like the sedan version. I would consider it.
Old 01-11-2010, 04:13 PM

FWIW, I don't want to override favorable opinions toward this Focus... looks are in the eyes of the beholder, as they say. But I don't think my eyes are playing up.

Exterior styling: the car is over-styled with inconsistent lines, especially on the sides.

Interior styling: busy looking dash with an odd assortment of shapes and graphics.

I'd be quite disappointed with the design effort if this were a GM car.

The Cruze has simpler, crisper exterior lines and the interior design is attractive. I think the Cruze will be a solid performer for GM. Holden are currently readying a hatch version so hopefully it won't be too long before NA build it to counter the Focus.

Just my humble 2c but I hope GM designers are reading this.
Old 01-11-2010, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by 94LightningGal
A few things to note.

That is the top-of-the-line, Titanium version. Non Titanium versions will not have the airdamn extension, and will have smaller wheels.

This is the production car, not a concept.

In the press conference, 41mpg was talked about. However, this is for the standard engine, not the upgraded engine, like in the Cruze. The standard engine also produces 155hp, and can be mated to a 6-speed DCT, or a 6-speed manual. Oh, city mileage should also be better than the Cruze, due to the shut-off feature, and the DCT.

Word is, the "economy" Ecoboost engine, will make a little more power than the base engine, and get better mileage yet. Current guess's are 42-43mpg.

Coupe, 3-door, and Vert are also going to be announced, at other shows. Mercury will also be getting a version. Expect an ST version, and possibly a SVT version, which may, or may not be "our" version of the RS. The platform is also AWD capable.
Interesting tidbits there. I do have to ask what a Mercury version would look like. Also why a 3 door and a separate coupe model? The vert will likely win praise but not a lot of sales, IMO.
Old 01-11-2010, 04:36 PM

Your guess is as good as mine, on the Mercury. Supposedly, it will be introduced at another show.

As for the 3-door, and a coupe. I'm thinking that maybe one is the Mercury, and one is another Focus variant. This way, Mercury gets something that is uniquely its own.

Since this car is a true world car, it makes it simpler, and less expensive, to get many variations.

This is what I was so disappointed with, with the Cruze. Yes, GM is offering a competitive car, in the compact segment again................ as long as you want a sedan............ a sedan, ............. or a sedan.
Old 01-11-2010, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by El Duce
I like it. Why is it that the quality of cars for the European market are almost always better than the sh*t we get that is supposedly the same car?
I've heard two reasons:

-The small car market is the primary car market there. They have to strive to much greater distances to be competitive in that market because the competition is fierce.

-People over in Europe are accustomed to paying more for their cars. If you look at what a person over there is paying for a Focus or Fiesta or Mondeo in Euros and convert it back to USD you will come up with a price that would leave a lot of cars collecting dust on Ford dealer lots here in the US.
Old 01-11-2010, 06:51 PM

Your guess is as good as mine, on the Mercury. Supposedly, it will be introduced at another show.

As for the 3-door, and a coupe. I'm thinking that maybe one is the Mercury, and one is another Focus variant. This way, Mercury gets something that is uniquely its own.
That would make sense. Return of the Mercury Cougar maybe?
Old 01-11-2010, 07:06 PM

The platform is also AWD capable.
I hope they utilize it unlike the first gen focus.
Old 01-11-2010, 07:54 PM

Will hafta wait for the coupe version, if there is one.
Old 01-11-2010, 08:09 PM

I wish Ford would sell the wagon version here, but the C-Max will probably be all we get.
Old 01-11-2010, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by Z28x
That would make sense. Return of the Mercury Cougar maybe?

Capri?
Old 01-11-2010, 09:08 PM

Looks pretty good.
Old 01-11-2010, 09:29 PM
Koz

I must be in the small minority when it comes to the styling. I don't really like it from any angle (on the sedan). The tail lights are my least favorite, don't like how they're so enormous and wrap around the side of the car. Front end looks 'ok', but seems like an early '00s Accord with a much larger lower front airdam. The profile reminds me of the offspring between a G6 and a mid 90's Saturn (I think it's the tail lights).

The hatch looks pretty good IMO, but reminds me a lot of the Saturn Astra from the side view. The interior pics look pretty good.

Overall it just seems like the sedan doesn't know what it wants to be, and ended up as a mish-mash of a whole bunch of different styling ideas.
Old 01-12-2010, 09:03 AM

Works for me. Good proportions (IMHO). The Cruze always looks under-tired in every picture I've seen. This doesn't.
Old 01-12-2010, 11:50 AM

In the press conference, 41mpg was talked about. However, this is for the standard engine, not the upgraded engine, like in the Cruze.
Wait, what? I thought the Cruze was making its mileage numbers with the base 1.4L turbo... or did I miss something?

Quick Reply: Next gen Focus revealed. Wow!