Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

New Supra Spotted....

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2004, 02:34 PM
Advanced Member

Arrow New Supra Spotted....

SUPRA

2007 Toyota Supra

Engineers from Toyota Motor Co.p. visited Germany's famed Nurburgring racetrack last month to test a prototype sports car shrouded in mystery.

Spy shots of the session have provoked widespread speculation on the identity of the vehicle and Toyota's production plans.

Among the outrageous guesses are that the prototype is a mule hiding either a 500-horsepower V-10 engine or a high-performance hybrid powertrain.

Sources in Japan say it?s likely an early test bed for the next Supra, pulled from the U.S. market several years ago because of poor sales.

Toyota insiders say the reincarnated Supra should reach the market in 2006 as a 2007 model. The rear-wheel drive coupe, being targeted at the Nissan 350Z, will be powered by a twin-cam 3.5-liter V-6 and priced from well under $30,000.
Old 12-23-2004, 02:38 PM

Re: New Supra Spotted....

Looks black to me.
Old 12-23-2004, 02:46 PM

The V6 sounds right... it's almost certainly based on the new GR-FSE series V6 that was started with the 2003 Toyota 4Runner and will also be the series of motor used for the V6 in the all new Lexus GS300, Toyota Avalon, and others.

It's a damn solid and very moddable motor... should be a very respectable successor to the loved 2JZ-GTE that was very moddable well past 1000 hp. It will be used in the ground-up redesigned IS300 for 2006 as well and is expected to have a naturally aspirated output between 300 and 350 horsepower (it's power output is much less in the 4Runner and Avalon but I'm just saying it's the same base design, much like how the 4.8L V8 chevy truck motor is closely related to the corvette LS1, despite their huge power output differences.

The 500 horsepower V10 sounds a little nuts, though. Some people suspect that Lexus will be releasing a new V8 motor for its V8 cars (LS, GS, and SC) that will have close to 400 horsepower. Further rumors have it that Lexus is considering formulating a limited edition high-powered lineup similar to Mercede's AMG lineup. So maybe that's what the V10 is all about? Who knows. That would be odd of Lexus, though, to use a V10. I'd personally think it would be a smarter and more likely move for them to build up a badass high-powered hybrid electric system for the new V8 motor and basically offer it as a performance option that helps your gas milage instead of hurting it.
Old 12-23-2004, 02:51 PM

No 2jz = gay.
Old 12-23-2004, 02:54 PM

2JZ?

Also, what made the older supra's so special? It seems they are all just dyno queens since they all seem to run the same 1/4 times.
Old 12-23-2004, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by Pasky
2JZ?

Also, what made the older supra's so special? It seems they are all just dyno queens since they all seem to run the same 1/4 times.

Yup. You're right. Dyno queens.

http://familysedan.crawlinjunk.com/marko-845.wmv
http://familysedan.crawlinjunk.com/marko-845-incar.wmv
http://familysedan.crawlinjunk.com/marko-872.wmv
http://familysedan.crawlinjunk.com/marko-872-incar.wmv
Old 12-23-2004, 03:00 PM

Legitimate question and since you want to be an ***, I want bother to respond, don't need two people in here smelling like ****.
Old 12-23-2004, 03:01 PM

That thing's friggin ugly as hell.
Old 12-23-2004, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by Pasky
Legitimate question and since you want to be an ***, I want bother to respond, don't need two people in here smelling like ****.
Why would you need me to say anything when Threxx already said this:

should be a very respectable successor to the loved 2JZ-GTE that was very moddable well past 1000 hp.
Old 12-23-2004, 03:07 PM

I'm not expecting anything great from the MKV Supras.

If they really intend for these things to come in at about $30K, then something is gonna have to give, becuase the MKIV's ran at about $50K when they were still sold. I expect a lot of the price in the former generation came from 2JZ motor. 20 grand is a big difference.
Old 12-23-2004, 11:33 PM

That's a really old spy shot and Supra isn't the definite name, nor is it anything close. http://www.thecarconnection.com/inde...&sid=178&n=158
Old 12-24-2004, 03:05 AM

lol run the same times, HAHAHAHAHA. bolt on supras can run 11s without a single turbo. bcc race gas, fmic, etc easily into the 11s. single turbos now running 8s easy, these are ofcourse the ones with the big turbos drag slicks etc. anyways not dyno queens by a long shot. durable, beautiful looking, reasonably prices, RETAIN THEIR VALUE these cars go for wayyyyy more then their bluebook value anymore. weekend warrior with 700+ hp with the right turbo, turn the boost down and DD without a problem, you can see why people love them.
Old 12-24-2004, 04:17 AM

If the final production looks anything like that, I would MUCH rather be seen in a MKIV than a MKV - that is one damn ugly car.
Old 12-24-2004, 05:16 AM

yep dyno queens, trailer queens all means the same thing.
Old 12-24-2004, 05:18 AM

I do believe that that picture is not the Supra, but a supercar that Toyota plans on releasing to compete with the Porsche Carerra GT or something like that.

Quick Reply: New Supra Spotted....