Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

The new "Mayhem Mustang"

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 11:28 PM

Re: The new "Mayhem Mustang"

Originally Posted by bossco
I wonder if there is enough seperation (one is a car the other car insurance) in this case that both Ford and Allstate can have a "mayhem" product?

I know in the case of common words like mayhem you can have multiple trademarks using the same word, for example, if there was a "mayhem" hot sauce and a "mayhem" shotgun in addition to Allstate's mayhem character all of them could use the word mayhem as a trademark since they aren't directly competing like say an insurance company called "Mayhem Insurance" which would violate Allstate's trademark.

Although, it would be a stoke of luck IF Allstate could put a stop to that silly name
I dont know to be honest. Id certainly be interested. I think the Allstate Mayhem commercials are pretty good. I get a kick out of the guy in a suit in a wind storm jumping on top of a branch saying "shaky shaky" lol

Take this with a grain of salt but my guess though is that its seems to be very subjective, and depends on how much negative impact Allstate felt it would have if any before even deciding to see if there are actions they can take.

If they pour all that time and money into building that brand recognition and decide when people think mayhem they no longer think of the Allstate brand but rather the Ford Mustang, then Ford may have just derailed a huge part of their marketing campaign.

On the other hand, I suppose it could be seen as a neutral or even positive for Allstate. Either unrelated or possibly even free advertising. This is a really bad example but think of people who recognize the car and are also aware of the Allstate Ad who might say something like

"That's that V6 Mayhem Mustang with the performance package. Not that funny mayhem commercial Allstate puts out..."

OR

"They should have never named that car that..."

"named it what?"

"Ford Mustang Mayhem,... you know like the Allstate commercials...?"

But it seems to me like I said, the more it is perceived as damaging if at all, it seems the more likely two companies like that are to butt heads and look to see what legal actions they have regardless of how unrelated.

i.e. cyber squatting although seemingly rare now. Nissan web site is Nissan computers not the car company. According to the site itself, Nissan motors has sued Nissan computers for cyber squatting the http://www.nissan.com/ name. The site actually has a link that sells bumper stickers that says dont buy Nissan anymore.

When I first saw this thread, I was sure someone else would beat me to this post. First thing I thought was whoever won, probably got the idea from the Allstate commercial. I am really surprised no one else made the connection and dismissed the entry during the contest.

I was hoping for at least a laugh with the GPS... I mean common lol
Old 05-31-2011, 11:48 PM

http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/gate.exe?...10:7bn9kp.3.24

Word Mark MAYHEM
Goods and Services IC 036. US 100 101 102. G & S: Insurance services, namely, writing and underwriting insurance in the fields of property, liability, and casualty, and providing ancillary services thereto, namely, administration and claims adjustment. FIRST USE: 20100709. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 20100709
Standard Characters Claimed
Mark Drawing Code (4) STANDARD CHARACTER MARK
Serial Number 85158007
Filing Date October 21, 2010
Current Filing Basis 1A
Original Filing Basis 1A
Owner (APPLICANT) Allstate Insurance Company CORPORATION ILLINOIS Allstate Plaza Northbrook ILLINOIS 60062
Attorney of Record Marsha K. Hoover
Type of Mark SERVICE MARK
Register PRINCIPAL
Live/Dead Indicator LIVE

http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/gate.exe?...10:7bn9kp.2.16

Word Mark MAYHEM PACKAGE
Goods and Services IC 012. US 019 021 023 031 035 044. G & S: option package for an automobile
Standard Characters Claimed
Mark Drawing Code (4) STANDARD CHARACTER MARK
Serial Number 85248034
Filing Date February 22, 2011
Current Filing Basis 1B
Original Filing Basis 1B
Owner (APPLICANT) Ford Motor Company CORPORATION DELAWARE One American Road Dearborn MICHIGAN 48126
Attorney of Record Elizabeth F. Janda
Type of Mark TRADEMARK
Register PRINCIPAL
Live/Dead Indicator LIVE

Apparently there are other companies that actively have the Mayhem trademark as well such as a knife company and an archery company so I really don't know...
Old 06-01-2011, 04:52 AM

Originally Posted by Z28Wilson
Like they said above. In a V6 market, where style definitely tops function & performance, abso-fricken-lutely. All you have to do is look at the take numbers for Camaro RS vs. Mustang V6 performance package.

Guy, you have often cautioned us in the past to not look at everything through hardcore enthusiast glasses. Do the same for a moment. It would seem counter-intuitive to think an appearance package would offer the average V6 pony car buyer "more" than some performance upgrades. But think about it. When you bring your shiny new V6 Camaro home, and it's sitting in the driveway, what are your neighbors more envious of, the style or the parts under the skin that they can't see?

I applaud Ford for offering this performance package, but I can also see why, in a V6 pony car market, it is clearly not as popular as Camaro's RS package.
All round, a fair assesment.

There were plenty of 4th gen V6s with RS packages and options that ran well past Z28 prices. And sales numbers don't lie. The relatively low numbers of the excellent hardware oriented Mustang V6 performance package vs the high take rate the cosmetic oriented Camaro RS package prove your point.

Personally, i'd go hardware before bling, but the numbers prove I'm in the minority.
Old 06-01-2011, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by guionM
Personally, i'd go hardware before bling, but the numbers prove I'm in the minority.
I think a lot of us here fit into that minority, I know I do.
Old 06-01-2011, 10:55 AM

It's still not a valid argument to compare an appearance package to a performance package with nonofficial sales numbers and draw the conclusion that there is no reason to offer a performance package. There are a variety of reasons.

This is akin to if we were commenting on Mustang offering light blue and you are arguing the Camaro shouldn't offer light blue because they sell more red Camaros than light blue Mustangs are sold. But Mustang also offers red, just like they offer all the same sorts of appearance options as you get in the RS package. Perhaps that is where an option sales comparison is warranted.

Also what are the official sales numbers comparing V6 Mustangs and V6 Camaros and then the subset with respective options? Where did the guy on the Mustang forum get his numbers? It's not cited. But again this is hardly a meaningful comparison. Consider that Ford figured out that profits are more important than sales years ago and has been more successful than Chevrolet in making money on Mustang for more total and continuous years compared to Camaro. It would be interesting to see the profit comparison between Mustang and Camaro. From that standpoint it also makes business sense to offer a nearly pure profit performance package even if the take rate isn't all that high because it increases your bottom line. It does not preclude you from offering other option packages, like wheels and lights, that also make some money.
Old 06-01-2011, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by HAZ-Matt
It's still not a valid argument to compare an appearance package to a performance package with nonofficial sales numbers and draw the conclusion that there is no reason to offer a performance package.
Hang on, I don't believe anyone has said there's "no reason" to offer a V6 performance package. I think ANYTHING that is available to wake up Camaro on the performance side is a great thing. If it's cost-effective I'd love to see ZL1 suspension pieces available as a package on everything from Camaro LS on up.

We were just pointing out that on Mustang anyway, it is a relatively unknown option and throwing around reasons for that.
Old 06-01-2011, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by Silverado C-10
I really like the idea, but that name blows!
The "Mayhem" name was probably thought up by the same people who use the word "SICK" when describing something that is "KEWL".
Old 06-02-2011, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by Z28Wilson
We were just pointing out that on Mustang anyway, it is a relatively unknown option and throwing around reasons for that.
That's certainly true. But I think some of the posts above made it seem like since the Camaro had the RS package there wasn't any need for a performance package. If I misinterpreted them then I was mistaken.
Old 06-02-2011, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by HAZ-Matt
That's certainly true. But I think some of the posts above made it seem like since the Camaro had the RS package there wasn't any need for a performance package. If I misinterpreted them then I was mistaken.
It could very easily be interpreted that way.