Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

The new Lexus GS

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2004, 02:39 PM

The new Lexus GS

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/show...hreadid=137996

(if reading press releases isn't your thing, just scroll down for lots and lots of pics, and more pics on page 2)

Should be coming out in dealerships this January.

The fact that there are no tangible improvements to the V8 (it's just a carry-over from the previous generation which dates back to 1998) is disappointing. But rumor has it that there are a whole slew of new V8 motors Lexus is planning on releasing for its sedan market in '06... so maybe it's just one of those temporary things.

I really like the interior on it. Frickin' gorgeous. The exterior? Ehh... it's alright. But nothing amazing. I wish there were more technical specs on things like improvements to the chassis and so on. But anyhow... that's just the way Lexus markets, I guess... get people hyped up on the looks, but give very limited information as to what's underneath the new sheetmetal other than the basic drivetrain and techno-gadget info.

So anyway... yes I will own one. A second year model (just in case there are kinks to work out), and I'll be buying it after its about 3-4 years old so I can afford one. So I guess I have about 5-6 years more to wait! Woohoo!
Old 11-15-2004, 02:54 PM
cmc

Re: The new Lexus GS

I think there are pictures of the back of a Maxima mixed into that post. Perhaps someone there should check that out.
Old 11-15-2004, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by cmc
I think there are pictures of the back of a Maxima mixed into that post. Perhaps someone there should check that out.

There are some similarities for sure. Kind of disappointing, but as with most exterior changes, I'm sure everyone will get used to it.

Maxima rear: http://www.brian1.net/maxima/2004maxima/dscf0480.jpg
GS rear: http://www.autonews.com/files/2004NA...06GS430_11.jpg

If you really look at the history of it, look at a 1998 GS (when it was redesigned last), then go look at a 2002+ Altima... there are so many design ques that the Altima ripped from the GS it's almost criminal. Then when the new 04+ Maxima design came around, of course they wanted to carry their new visual themes over, thus when the GS came out and they wanted to keep it recognizable as a GS, then ended up being late to their own party and seemingly copied some of Nissan's designs when really they've been around in the Lexus lineup since 1998.
Old 11-15-2004, 03:08 PM

no my cup of tea, that's for sure...
Old 11-15-2004, 03:37 PM

Smile Re: The new Lexus GS

Looking at the front fascia, you can definetely tell it is a GS. Looks a lot like the first gen GS to me.

Other than that... Looks nice but does nothing much for me...

Originally Posted by Threxx
get people hyped up on the looks, but give very limited information as to what's underneath the new sheetmetal other than the basic drivetrain
I'm quite sure your average Lexus buyer could care less about that stuff.

Well... I guess that could be generalized to all average car buyers, too...

TS
Old 11-15-2004, 05:02 PM

I like it fairly well. I really haven't been too keen on Toyota's styling direction in the last few years, but this actually looks pretty good to me. No two foot long headlights and tailights (Camry ). And the interior looks fantastic.
Old 11-15-2004, 05:12 PM

I love the shape, I like the styling, I'm ok with the interior (very boring, but I'm sure it feels comfy), I dislike the V8 (Isn't that thing a decade old? I mean it was cool back then, but geezus, its 2005, I hope they really do upgrade in 2006 like you said they might). Is there a hybrid option planned?

This is my favorite pic... http://www.clublexus.com/forums/atta...&postid=776322

That shape is just beautiful.

I am also fairly certain this is an ex g/f of mine http://www.clublexus.com/gallery/dat...eRigthBack.jpg.
Old 11-15-2004, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by Threxx
...A second year model (just in case there are kinks to work out),
Kinks in a Lexus

J/K
Old 11-15-2004, 05:40 PM

Reminds me of my tC kind of. Similar styling to the grille and headlamps
Old 11-15-2004, 06:08 PM

YAAAWWWWNNNNNN. It realy is not that great looking with it's big humpback. What is it supposed to be, a hatchback??? It looks just like the old one, kind of like the C5 and the C6 transition. I guess all I can say is that it's a realy boring looking car

The inside is nice, but insides are easy to do.
Old 11-15-2004, 06:12 PM

Alert the AARP!
Old 11-15-2004, 06:57 PM

I see a lot of bangle bmw in the side profile The front kinda reminds me of the new RL and the rear reminds me of the new RL/Accord with some Maxima mixed together. The interior looks very good though. Over all, not bad, but doesnt beat the first or second gen GS in looks
Old 11-15-2004, 07:21 PM

:blah: Looks bland. Same boring Toyota.
Old 11-15-2004, 08:16 PM

For some reason, the interior reminds me of the C6
Old 11-15-2004, 08:26 PM

I think it has a pretty good appeal - nice clean interior with high quality materials. Actually, the design of the interior reminded me of BMW and the front too somehow reminds me of current 5 series.

And the rear? Maxima, with taillights from Audi A8.

Quick Reply: The new Lexus GS