Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

New CAFE numbers not as bad as they seem..

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 05:00 PM

New CAFE numbers not as bad as they seem..

I know the basics of this article have been tossed about, but it is nice to see it spelled out.

http://www.autoobserver.com/2009/05/...equals-26.html

One fully expected those gathered Wednesday in the White House rose garden -- environmentalists, captains of the global auto industry and government officials -- to break out into a rousing chorus of Kumbaya.

Everybody, including dueling parties normally at odds, expressed their delight with President Obama's announcement of the more stringent and earlier-than-planned fuel-economy and emissions standards that would be applied from sea to shining sea.

However, as in all things involving politics, the new fuel-economy standards aren't what they seem.

"Turns out that there are loopholes almost big enough to drive an SUV through," quipped Edmunds.com CEO Jeremy Anwyl.

It starts with the math -- two different mathematical formulas used by two agencies of the U.S. government.

One mathematical calculation is used for mileage ratings under Corporate Average Fuel Economy (CAFE) rules. Quite another is used by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) to figure the fuel economy ratings on window stickers for new cars.

"CAFE miles per gallon ratings and EPA window sticker mpg ratings were originally generated simultaneously through government lab testing," said Edmunds.com Director of Vehicle Testing Dan Edmunds. "Window sticker ratings have been down-rated twice in the last 25 years to make them more realistic for consumers, while CAFE mpg methods remained the same. So, with each EPA revision, EPA window sticker mpg and CAFE mpg drifted further apart."

Indeed, the difference between the two is significant -- big enough to drive an SUV through in some cases.

For example, a vehicle that scores an EPA rating combined city/highway of 29 miles per gallon actually contributes 39 mpg to its manufacturer's CAFE average.

The new 35.5 mpg by 2016 standard announced by President Obama translates to about 26 miles per gallon. While that lower number may be disappointing environmentalists, it explains why automakers, including the Detroit-based ones, so gleefully signed on -- it's far less Draconian than one might think on first blush.

In fact, according to Edmunds.com's analysis, 29 car models and 36 truck models already achieve the new standard, and about a third of the cars and half of the trucks are produced by a domestic automaker. A full list of those models is available at Edmunds.com's GreenCarAdvisor.com.

Edmunds' GreenCarAdvisor.com Editor John O'Dell originally reported on this discrepancy in December 2007, in an article entitled "Fuel Economy: Doublespeak at its Best." In that piece, O'Dell wrote, "Most people have been trained to think only of the EPA numbers when talk turns to fuel economy, and they aren't aware of the differences between the EPA and CAFE figures. That makes the standard a little misleading."
Old 05-21-2009, 05:03 PM

Another good article.

http://blogs.edmunds.com/greencaradv...standards.html
Old 05-21-2009, 06:26 PM
West South Central Moderator

what percentage city vs highway does the CAFE average go by?
Old 05-21-2009, 06:47 PM

So what would the alarmists say now in regards to Government Motors and their green agendas?

J/K
Old 05-21-2009, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by SSbaby
So what would the alarmists say now in regards to Government Motors and their green agendas?

not kidding
qft
Old 05-21-2009, 07:59 PM

Let's see if they decide to close these loopholes and bring the numbers more in line with reality. Something is messed up when one vehicle can be rated at 26 mpg by the EPA but 35 mpg by CAFE.
Old 05-21-2009, 08:11 PM

This is a double edged sword. The current CAFE of 27.5 is more like an EPA of 21. Comparing EPA to EPA or CAFE to CAFE - the automotive landscape will be changing drastically.
Old 05-21-2009, 08:13 PM

I think a lot of the difference between the CAFE ratings and EPA numbers have been due to lobbying by the Big 3 over the last few decades. So while they may seem as they are at the mercy of the Gov't they are actually still getting their moneys worth.
Old 05-21-2009, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by Z28Wilson
Let's see if they decide to close these loopholes and bring the numbers more in line with reality. Something is messed up when one vehicle can be rated at 26 mpg by the EPA but 35 mpg by CAFE.
Cars don't get just X miles per gallon as you know. Even on the EPA sticker it says a car with a 25mpg rating drivers can expect to see a range of 20 - 30mpg. CAFE just takes a/the high number. I guess because that is what the car can get.

It all depends on how the car is driven. I saw my Camaro Z28 average between 10 and 26mpg on a tank of gas

http://blog.al.com/engine-block/2008...%20sticker.jpg

Last edited by Z28x; 05-21-2009 at 09:59 PM.
Old 05-21-2009, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by Z284ever
This is a double edged sword. The current CAFE of 27.5 is more like an EPA of 21. Comparing EPA to EPA or CAFE to CAFE - the automotive landscape will be changing drastically.
Yeah, it still means most 2016 cars are going to need to get 5mpg+ over their 2009 counterparts. The good news is cars like the Volt will be rated at over 100mpg and hybrids over well over 50mpg. This should make up a lot of ground for the few cars that fall below. I wouldn't be surprised if the new Cruze 1.4L Turbo gets a CAFE rating of high 40's to 50mpg.
Old 05-21-2009, 10:10 PM

My opinion is not changed. However this may be a case of overblown marketing..like when then asked the heads of the cabinet to trim 100 million from their budgets.

Originally Posted by SSbaby

J/K
Old 05-22-2009, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by Z28x
It all depends on how the car is driven. I saw my Camaro Z28 average between 10 and 26mpg on a tank of gas
Yeah, but it doesn't mean that the way CAFE is currently calculated isn't a joke. I'd challenge anybody to take a vehicle and squeeze 9 mpg more out of it than its EPA rating.
Old 05-22-2009, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by Z28Wilson
Yeah, but it doesn't mean that the way CAFE is currently calculated isn't a joke. I'd challenge anybody to take a vehicle and squeeze 9 mpg more out of it than its EPA rating.
The CAFE numbers are extremely high, and that was one of my points in the original CAFE thread. We shouldn't freak out about 42mpg. because it is not really 42mpg and on top of that it is an average.. 42 EPA on the other hand would =
Old 05-22-2009, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by 99SilverSS
I think a lot of the difference between the CAFE ratings and EPA numbers have been due to lobbying by the Big 3 over the last few decades. So while they may seem as they are at the mercy of the Gov't they are actually still getting their moneys worth.
Is that why they are all making so much money now?
Old 05-22-2009, 11:53 AM

yea we'll call it return on investment! They and the rest of the industry would be in a whole lot of hurt if the new numbers were straight EPA.

Quick Reply: New CAFE numbers not as bad as they seem..