Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Mustang GT vs GTO. Which is more fun to drive?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2006, 09:46 AM

Re: Mustang GT vs GTO. Which is more fun to drive?

This looks like even more of a reason Ford should build a Mustang based sedan.
Old 03-09-2006, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by Z28x
This looks like even more of a reason Ford should build a Mustang based sedan.

Absolutely agree! Would meet my DD needs perfectly.
Old 03-09-2006, 01:03 PM

Great reviews from everyone, even being a die hard GTO fan even I can see the attraction for the Mustang. It's a great looking car, and performs very well even if it's not as good as ther GTO on paper. I can understand it feeling lighter on it's feet- could that be due to the independant rear? I know my LT-1 Firehawk feels much lighter on its feet but not near as nimble if that makes sense...
Old 03-09-2006, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by Z284ever
I can see the GTO outperforming it...the LS2 is simply a brute. The GT feels more comparable to an LS1 GTO in acceleration.

Let's not also forget about price. The Mustang GT I drove was very nicely equipped for $27,500.
Monaro was only available with an LS1. You guys got the good hardware!
Old 03-09-2006, 04:51 PM

Haven't driven a Mustang GT yet, but I've driven the GTO & rented a Mustang V6 twice, including to the Camaro unveiling.

The 2 cars feel like they have different purposes, and carry out those purposes well. The GTO feels more like a road car, something you'd take on the interstate, and eat up alot of miles in comfort. The Mustang feels more like a car you'd take as a daily driver with multiple stops. I felt the V6 handled very well, and was fun to toss. GTO felt more like it was carved from padded granite.

Given a choice between the 2 (new car to new car), I think the Mustang is the better car. The GTO is the cheapest 400 horse new car you're going to find in any showroom on the planet, but when you balence everything out, as much as I love the new GTO, I'd give the nod to Mustang GT. For $6K less there's alot of stuff you give up, but on balence, the only thing that still would make me prefer a GTO over a Mustang is that I KNOW the structure and materials are going to hold up extremely well because the car was designed for far tougher stuff than what our cars here are typically designed for.

Now, if the choice is between a slightly used 2004 GTO and a new Mustang, then things aren't so cut & dry.
Old 03-09-2006, 05:11 PM

For $6K less there's alot of stuff you give up,
Huh? Take a look at real street prices at edmunds.com. There I found, trying to equip an 06 Stang GT to be like my GTO (A4) the Stang ends up at $30k. Yet edmunds has the street price of a new GTO at $31,900. $6k my foot
Old 03-09-2006, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by BigDarknFast
Huh? Take a look at real street prices at edmunds.com. There I found, trying to equip an 06 Stang GT to be like my GTO (A4) the Stang ends up at $30k. Yet edmunds has the street price of a new GTO at $31,900. $6k my foot
Am I reading this wrong or are you comparing the street price of the GTO to the MSRP of the Mustang?
Old 03-09-2006, 06:38 PM
Bert02SS

I've driven both. The Mustang is cheaper and more 'tossable'. The GTO is more ponderous and expensive.

Old 03-09-2006, 06:59 PM

Am I reading this wrong or are you comparing the street price of the GTO to the MSRP of the Mustang?
Honest to God... I often think I'm the ONLY person who goes and checks these things. Of Course I was comparing street price to street price. The fact is, a Mustang GT, loaded to be similarly equipped as a new GTO (except of course for the powerful engine), has a STREET price within $2k of the GTO's STREET price. edmunds compiles their data from actual transactions.
Old 03-09-2006, 07:42 PM

It's funny....all the car mags raved the GTO was tossable when it first came out....then the Mustang came out and the GTO is like yesterdays news.

I have never driven the new Mustang....it appeals to me greatly...and I would just want it more if I drove it.

Unfortunatly I just cannot own one....it would be like the Maytag man having a Whirlpool washer.
Old 03-09-2006, 07:56 PM

doesn't everyone already own a mustang ? I see like 50 a day..yaaaaawwn
Old 03-09-2006, 10:52 PM

I haven't had chance to drive a stock GT, but the Saleen (base model - 325hp, all the $$ goes in the suspension) was a blast. To me the suspension was "just right", not too hard or soft, and that in MI with 20" wheels iirc. Its hard to explain well, but I didn't notice the solid axle at all and enjoyed not having to worry about cv shaft breakage, while still handling like it was on rails. The sales girl said that it was tighter, better handling than the regular GT, in which case I'm not sure I'd want to drive one, as the Saleen hit the 'sweet spot' perfectly for me.

It had the typical 4.6L weak low end, but took off once you had a couple grand on the tach. When I say weak, I'm comparing to the GTA (L98) not the Neon . It would definatly win the 600rpm 4th gear pull against any 4cyl!! BTW the sales girl started to freak out when I squaked 2nd, that felt good.

Unfortunatly, the local Pontiac dealer wanted to run a credit check just to go for a test drive, thats when I turned around and walked away. Oh well, I'm sure I'll drive a GTO sooner or later.

Last edited by Red89GTA; 03-09-2006 at 10:55 PM.
Old 03-09-2006, 11:43 PM

a fun to drive car is sometimes better to drive than a better performer. C&D tested the srt-8 versus the cts-v. the srt-8 was faster and more comfortable, but all the editors said they'd much rather drive the cts-v.
Old 03-10-2006, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by Gloveperson
Neither were that fun to drive at all. Big cars never really are.

The Mustang was waaay to grown up to be fun and had the same poor visability that my Camaro has.

The GTO was huge and the shifter was gawwd awful.

BTW Z28forever, we own a Miata here and the GT's shifter is not even on the same wave-legnth as it. It has to be at least 2x the throw and the stick and **** themselves are about 3x the size, all things that affect the feel of the shifter IMHO.

I guess you have to own one and drive it daily to understand the perfectnes of that shifter or an S2000's shifter. Go back to back and you will notice. I did, as that was what I drove up in for the test drive
Yeah, you're probably right. It's been a long time since I've driven a Miata. I seem to remember being able to shift with almost a flick of my wrist. Anyway, the Mustang's shifter felt way closer to a Miata's to me, than to a GTO's.

And I don't disagree about the size either, Mustang would have been more fun had it been smaller. But again, I was comparing it to the GTO.

Anyway, what's the big take-away here? People notice stuff. Stuff that will make or break the fun-to-drive factor. Something I hope the next Camaro has in spades. All the horsepower in the world won't give you it, if you don't already have that "baked in".

Last edited by Z284ever; 03-10-2006 at 08:59 AM.
Old 03-10-2006, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by BigDarknFast
Honest to God... I often think I'm the ONLY person who goes and checks these things. Of Course I was comparing street price to street price. The fact is, a Mustang GT, loaded to be similarly equipped as a new GTO (except of course for the powerful engine), has a STREET price within $2k of the GTO's STREET price. edmunds compiles their data from actual transactions.
And once you could load up a Pontiac Firehawk to come within $2K of a Corvette too.

Point is "Street Price" is a nationwide average, and varies region to region, or even city to city. I'm betting RWD cars are cheaper in Maine than in California. Mustangs sell at higher prices in the Bay Area than in San Diego.

MSRP is consistant nationwide.

GTO's starting MSRP is $32,000. Mustang GT's starting price is just over $25,000.

The GT's already pretty well equpted, so the only options I'd get is a stereo & rim upgrade.

I'm a very big GTO fan, but there's no denying that the cover charge to get into a GTO is $6,000 more than to get into Mustang GT.

Most people aren't going to check every option in the book.

Last edited by guionM; 03-10-2006 at 10:14 AM.

Quick Reply: Mustang GT vs GTO. Which is more fun to drive?