Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Mustang Concept, first pictures

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2002, 03:01 PM

Old 12-03-2002, 04:19 PM

I like the back end, it's a nice change of pace, but the profile isn't that flattering.

Still, everyone who has seen the Mustang in person seems to be at the verge of wetting themselves when talking about it, so maybe the picture doesn't do it justice.

I'm going to have to wait to see it in person before I render a verdict.
Old 12-03-2002, 04:26 PM

BTW, those pictures were taken as press release pictures to accompany the concept's debut (except the one with the guy with the car brush). Someone seems to have got ahold of a couple & sent them in.

Then again, that someone could also have been a member of Ford.
Old 12-04-2002, 09:40 AM

I think the Mustang in those pictures is a concept vehicle and not the actual next Mustang. Look at the picture - it looks as if there are no back seats or that hey have some cover over them. The front windshield seemed to me to be a little low and then there is that wing roll bar thing that reminds me of those Mustang I or II or III or whatever concepts from the sixties.
Old 12-04-2002, 09:43 AM

Originally posted by hotrodtodd74
I think the Mustang in those pictures is a concept vehicle and not the actual next Mustang. .
It is in fact the concept, which will appear in Detroit.
Old 12-04-2002, 09:44 AM

This thread has a shot of the "production" body renderings I found on another board. If these are legit, then the coupe might be pretty cool. I won't buy one, but I could at least respect the appearance which is something I cannot say about the current car

http://www.tennesspeed.net/forums/sh...=&postid=48171
Old 12-04-2002, 04:24 PM

Originally posted by Chris 96 WS6
This thread has a shot of the "production" body renderings I found on another board. If these are legit, then the coupe might be pretty cool. I won't buy one, but I could at least respect the appearance which is something I cannot say about the current car

Just blew it up & took a look at it. Seems like it wasn't photoshopped, and looks real enough.

More on the photo story (along with Brenda Priddy's copyright stampped all over this time):
http://www.thecarconnection.com/index.asp?article=5571

Last edited by guionM; 12-04-2002 at 05:09 PM.
Old 12-04-2002, 05:19 PM

I've got nothing against retro, and nothing against new/novel/cutting edge, but how come it is that the WORST of BOTH is what we're getting these days?! (New Beetle, TT, Thunderbird, now Mustang) WAY too many straight lines and constant-radius curves. Sterile. No soul. And that blunt front end, YUK.
Old 12-04-2002, 07:19 PM
Banned

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Chris 96 WS6
[B]

These body diagrams would indicated Mustang II front end styling, and an "opera window" in the fastback, reminiscent of the late '70s T-birds. Otherwise, the basic proportions are exactly the same as the current car. It's too bad they didn't do a "retro" version of the '79 Mustang. That car was the most simple and elegant of the 'Stangs, right down to the tidy dimensions and good packaging.

Is this really an improvement? If these images are legit, I would question whether the platform has been changed to DEW98, or even that of the AU Falcon. Since the wheelbase looks unchanged, perhaps the nasty rumors of the Fox platform being carried over are true.

Looks aside, I'm sorry to hear that the powertrain picture apparently hasn't changed. The 24valve 3.0liter is pretty weak by current V6 standards and really should have been upsized to 3.5liters to compete with Nissan's scorching VQ engines. Moreover, the Mustang GT deserves more than a SOHC 4.6. Ford's DOHC 5.0 "Cammer" crate engine should form the basis of both the GT and Cobra engines. It probably won't, though.

On the plus side, the tail lights in the photo of the convertible are pure Shelby GT350/500. I even like the chrome fuel filler cap mounted in the middle of the rear end. I always thought this feature was convenient, but it also serves as an indicator of the continued use of a REAR-MOUNTED FUEL TANK. (More evidence of a carried-over Fox platform - unless the Australian Falcon also has a rear mounted tank. Does anyone know for sure?)
Old 12-04-2002, 07:48 PM

looks pretty ugly from the back. yuck. no booty at all.
Old 12-04-2002, 08:46 PM

To me, it doesnt look all that different from the sides...It looks like it needs a little more overhang...something isnt right about it...

Wheres a shot of the front of that car I want to get a preview of what will be in my rear-view mirror when I hop into a GTO one day

Last edited by Meccadeth; 12-04-2002 at 08:49 PM.
Old 12-04-2002, 09:24 PM

more overhang would definitly suck ***. i think they have the right idea on the sides, but they need to fix the front/back to be more apealing instead of appalling.
Old 12-04-2002, 09:36 PM

LOL yeah. That car needs to do good for GM to want to produce a new Camaro.
Old 12-05-2002, 11:37 AM

Took another look at those supposed body stampings. If the next Mustang is to be built off the LS platform, then I think those pics are the real thing. The pic has very little front overhang, yet alot of overhang in the rear...... just like Lincoln's LS. Also, the way the front wheel arch blends into the lower crease for the side scoops is identical to the concept car. It's also known that the new Mustang will have round lights behind a clear rectangular cover, and old style door handles is one of the small touches a couple of people who has seen it mentioned.

I'm now pretty certain it's genuine.

Check out this photoshop picture someone did based on the stampings (you'll have to scroll down a couple of posts, seem the link doesn't work): http://warnerrobert.com/ubb/ultimate...c;f=2;t=001011

It's going to be hard to avoid getting one if that's it. Looks pretty good!

Last edited by guionM; 12-05-2002 at 11:47 AM.
Old 12-05-2002, 12:31 PM

Originally posted by guionM
Check out this photoshop picture someone did based on the stampings (you'll have to scroll down a couple of posts, seem the link doesn't work): http://warnerrobert.com/ubb/ultimate...c;f=2;t=001011

It's going to be hard to avoid getting one if that's it. Looks pretty good!
Yep, that's going to have no problem drawing in abandoned F-body buyers. Question is, how long will GM let this go on?

It's certainly very retro-oriented. I'm sure Ford has some good ideas for special editions along the lines of that touched up rendering.

Quick Reply: Mustang Concept, first pictures