Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

More Overkilled Information. Bob Lutz officially announces RWD Impala & MC for 2006!

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2003, 12:12 PM

Originally posted by Mikes25thAnnTA
Hey guionM... with Chevrolet having the return of this "4 seat RWD sporty car" soon to be in the works can we expect that Pontiac will be following suit?
Yeah, it's called the GTO. I still get the feeling that Firebird/Trans Am is a name that Pontiac has no desire to bring back.
Old 02-19-2003, 12:15 PM

Originally posted by Z28Wilson
I still get the feeling that Firebird/Trans Am is a name that Pontiac has no desire to bring back.
Unfortunately, I feel the same way...

There is little to no talk of a new Firebird ... at least there is a lot of that for Camaro.
Old 02-19-2003, 02:37 PM

Here is a report on GMs rear wheel drive future for Pontiac and chevy...

http://www.autoweek.com/cat_content...._code=01905165
Old 02-19-2003, 11:50 PM

Good news!!! Shows they're still thinking about this market. Hopefully they'll add a Camaro to the line up soon after.
Old 02-20-2003, 09:09 AM

Mike, no word yet on a Pontiac version of this "sporty car".

GTO is NOT a replacement for the Firebird. It's a replacement for the Grand Prix Coupe.

I wouldn't bet money on the Trans Am name comming back. Although GM only pays $5 per car to use the name (courtesy of Mr. Deloren's tendancy to steal names for Pontiac) , they would rather not. The initial 3rd gen Trans Am was called the T/A. I'm guessing that GM will take this chance to end it.

The only press release that directly mentions Monte Carlo & Impala is the release about them going back to V8s when they are redone in 2006. GM's other press release has RWD returning BY 2007. Either Chevrolet is getting at least 1 all new RWD car, or Impala and/or Monte Carlo will be RWD in about 30 months.

The new-new GTO is due in 2006. So far it seems like it will be made here.

Last edited by guionM; 02-20-2003 at 09:13 AM.
Old 02-20-2003, 09:24 AM

Originally posted by guionM
[BGTO is NOT a replacement for the Firebird. It's a replacement for the Grand Prix Coupe.
[/B]
I'd say that it is a replacement for both, If it was only GP coupe replacement it wouldn't need a 340HP LS1, S/C 3800 would be fine, same goes for the RWD. As long as the GTO is around you won't see a new firebird of trans am (in RWD 2+2 V8 form that is). The only way I see the Firebird coming back is if Pontiac wants some cheaper V6/weaker V8 RWD cars to put under the GTO.
Old 02-20-2003, 09:53 AM

I wouldn't call the GTO a replacement for the Firebird, either. I am sure that the fate of the F-cars were sealed before Lutz arrived in 2001. The "Holden Monaro as GTO" probably would not have ever happened if it was not for Lutz. I would call the GTO a "stop gap" and that gap was not having a V8 RWD car in the Pontiac line-up.
Old 02-20-2003, 10:10 AM

Originally posted by Z28x
I'd say that it is a replacement for both, If it was only GP coupe replacement it wouldn't need a 340HP LS1, S/C 3800 would be fine, same goes for the RWD. As long as the GTO is around you won't see a new firebird of trans am (in RWD 2+2 V8 form that is). The only way I see the Firebird coming back is if Pontiac wants some cheaper V6/weaker V8 RWD cars to put under the GTO.
Calling a GTO a replacement for a Firebird is like calling the Monte Carlo Supercharged SS a replacement for the Camaro. GTO and Firebird history & marketing are very different.

Firebird has more in common with the Corvette (shape, engine, performance, hidden lights) than GTO has with Firebird.

Even dismissing Pontiac's own marketing goal (which does have GTO replacing Grand Prix coupe), I really wouldn't for a moment think that there would be too many people around in the market who would confuse a 2+2 high performance hatchback with a roomy 4 passenger Grand Touring car.

The the only thing they have in common are the engines and RWD.
Old 02-20-2003, 12:01 PM

Originally posted by guionM
GTO is NOT a replacement for the Firebird. It's a replacement for the Grand Prix Coupe.
I wasn't trying to imply that GTO is the replacement for Firebird. The question was simply of a future "4 seat RWD sporty Pontiac", which is the GTO. I know where he was going with that question, I was just being sarcastic/serious all at once. I don't think it's a stretch to assume Pontiac would at least like to win some Firebird buyers over with the GTO, even though it's not the same type of car.
Old 02-20-2003, 01:59 PM

Originally posted by Z28Wilson
I wasn't trying to imply that GTO is the replacement for Firebird. The question was simply of a future "4 seat RWD sporty Pontiac", which is the GTO. I know where he was going with that question, I was just being sarcastic/serious all at once. I don't think it's a stretch to assume Pontiac would at least like to win some Firebird buyers over with the GTO, even though it's not the same type of car.
Maybe a couple.

Firebird was selling barely 15,000 per year (if that) it's last couple of years if I remember correctly while GTO will be running 18,000. If anything, GTO MIGHT pull a few potential WS6 customers (same price and appeal), which I'm just guessing is maybe a thousand or so since WS6 sold 5-8,000 per year?

Looking at potential Grand Prix GTP customers who'll by a GTO, and potential Trans Am WS6 customers who'll buy a GTO, I'd be willing to wager the WS6 customers (let alone those customers who would have bought a V6, Formula, or Trans Am instead) will barely register a blip with total GTO buyers.

Potential Monte Carlo Supercharged SS buyers, maybe. Potential Firebird buyers? I doubt it.

Last edited by guionM; 02-20-2003 at 02:03 PM.