Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Monte Carlo speculation ended

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2003, 08:34 PM

Originally posted by muckz
and a 325ci is actually a nice, RWD coupe.
LOL ... your right ....let me rephrase that then.

GM 5.3L = 325 cubic inches
Old 12-11-2003, 08:41 PM

Originally posted by Mervz
ahh, the new LS4. Somewhere north of 300 hp, also used in the Grand Prix GXP
It won't be called the LH6...or is that the designation for trucks?
Old 12-11-2003, 09:01 PM

Also, I wonder what was the solution to it's torque limited transaxle.
Old 12-11-2003, 10:22 PM

I'd say 4T80E...or a derivative of it...
Old 12-11-2003, 10:30 PM

If it's the 4T80E...they made some structural revisions to the W-car to make it fit.
Old 12-12-2003, 06:30 AM

good to hear that the monte is continuing, has a v8, but sad to see that it won't be RWD. but I would rather see a fwd v8 monte then no monte at all.

i too think that the current monte screams rwd v8, and i hope that they continue that agressiveness to it when they redesign it and that they add some agresiveness to the Impala as well.
Old 12-12-2003, 11:42 AM

Originally posted by Z28x
LOL ... your right ....let me rephrase that then.

GM 5.3L = 325 cubic inches
But isn't that the current GM 5.3L? Do we know for sure the LS4 is 325 cid?
Old 12-12-2003, 01:17 PM

Arrow

Originally posted by Donutboy97
i too think that the current monte screams rwd v8, and i hope that they continue that agressiveness to it when they redesign it and that they add some agresiveness to the Impala as well.
Quite possibly the most true thing on this board.
Old 12-12-2003, 01:28 PM

If MC survives...and if Impala and MC go RWD....don't expect it before '09.
Old 12-12-2003, 01:40 PM

Originally posted by Z284ever
If MC survives...and if Impala and MC go RWD....don't expect it before '09.
I was going to say 2008, myself. However, it seems a larger-than-Impala RWD Caprice (or a car under a different name) will likely be out in 2007

Just the same, don't expect Impala to go RWD anytime soon. General Motors is going to take a few years to convince people RWD isn't a death sentence in the winter before it puts RWD on a volume car.

The plan is to build up RWD first on performance, Luxury, and "Full Sized" cars (known as "aspirational car" while building up the fact that RWD is safe in all weather, especially with traction control, and then filter it to volume cars. That way not only is the public convinced it's safe, in their minds they are also getting a car that's similar to those "aspirational" vehicles.

Considering how many dummies think we all just just stayed home in the winter before FWD became popular, this isn't a bad plan, IMHO.
Old 12-12-2003, 01:51 PM

Originally posted by guionM
The plan is to build up RWD first on performance, Luxury, and "Full Sized" cars (known as "aspirational car" while building up the fact that RWD is safe in all weather, especially with traction control, and then filter it to volume cars. That way not only is the public convinced it's safe, in their minds they are also getting a car that's similar to those "aspirational" vehicles.
We'll have to see on that one. I wouldn't be suprised if GM is just sitting back to see how Mopars RWD idea pays off. For Cadillac, maybe some Buicks, and a couple Pontiacs I can see a transition to RWD for the sake of ride or performance. But for Chev to change the Impala to RWD to aid in sales, I think it will take a while to convince current Chev customers of safety. In the south, I don't believe it will be much of an issue, but up here in da Nort, it's a different ballgame then most think.
Old 12-12-2003, 09:43 PM

Originally posted by jg95z28
But isn't that the current GM 5.3L? Do we know for sure the LS4 is 325 cid?
Yes the current 5.3L is a 325, I assume the Gen IV will be the same, if the engine was going to grow, why would they make it go up only 2ci?

I think it would be smart of GM to build a RWD and FWD Impala sized car, there is a market for both, people aren't going to switch back to RWD overnight.
Old 12-13-2003, 12:43 AM

Originally posted by guionM
I was going to say 2008, myself. However, it seems a larger-than-Impala RWD Caprice (or a car under a different name) will likely be out in 2007

Just the same, don't expect Impala to go RWD anytime soon. General Motors is going to take a few years to convince people RWD isn't a death sentence in the winter before it puts RWD on a volume car.

Considering how many dummies think we all just just stayed home in the winter before FWD became popular, this isn't a bad plan, IMHO.
GM might have a hard time convincing anyone with Ford and DC coming out with RWD cars for the mass.
Old 12-14-2003, 03:39 PM

Originally posted by 1990 Turbo Grand Prix
But for Chev to change the Impala to RWD to aid in sales, I think it will take a while to convince current Chev customers of safety. In the south, I don't believe it will be much of an issue, but up here in da Nort, it's a different ballgame then most think.
The only people who post and say FWD vs RWD is not an issue in the snow are typically people with Southern states in their profile

Personally, to help differentiate MC from Camaro, I'd like to see it stay FWD. A lot of us know we CAN drive RWD in the snow, its just that FWD is typically BETTER in it and many of us don't WANT TO drive RWD. We know we can do it. We don't care. We want FWD. I would not personally buy a RWD MC SS and drive it year-round. I'd buy a FWD car instead that I can put snows on, and go where some SUVs can't go. If I lived down south? Totally different ballgame. But give me FWD and snows for the winter...
Old 12-14-2003, 03:47 PM

Originally posted by Jason E
Personally, to help differentiate MC from Camaro, I'd like to see it stay FWD.
Yeah, me too.

Quick Reply: Monte Carlo speculation ended