Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Mini ADDING dealers.

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 12:27 AM

Mini ADDING dealers.

http://www.autonews.com/article/2008...812150338/1197

What recession? Mini will add 10 U.S. dealers

Diana T. Kurylko
Automotive News
December 15, 2008 - 12:01 am ET

Mini USA will add 10 dealers by the end of 2010 as the brand continues its rapid, recession-defying growth.

The additional stores will give Mini 93 dealers by the first quarter of 2010. Most construction will be complete by the end of 2009, says Jim McDowell, vice president of Mini USA.

The new points will be in areas where Mini doesn't have dealerships. Exclusive stores are planned in Boston; San Diego; Seattle; Alexandria, Va.; Allentown, Pa.; Birmingham, Ala.; Pensacola and Fort Myers, Fla.; Raleigh, N.C.; and Tempe, Ariz.

McDowell says that most of the stores in their first full year will sell 300 to 400 cars.

The average Mini store in 2008 will sell 650 to 700 cars.

About seven dealerships are vying for the top sales spot this year, which is expected to reach 1,000 units, says McDowell.

Last year, the top seller was Prestige Mini in Mahwah, N.J.

Mini launched sales in the United States in 2002 with 70 dealerships.
Old 12-15-2008, 10:51 AM

I have to say I'm a little surprised, but then again I saw first-hand a "Mini" conversion happen in my own neighborhood. This old lady literally traded her '03 Buick Lesabre for a blue Mini Cooper convertible. She thinks it's super cute, and I often see her older husband driving it around quite fast.
Old 12-15-2008, 10:54 AM

I've never driven one, I'll have to do that.
Old 12-15-2008, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by soul strife
I've never driven one, I'll have to do that.
They are very fun to drive.
Old 12-15-2008, 02:45 PM

They're alright. I was hyped up to drive a Mini from reading praise from other people. When the time came, it didn't live up to the hype.

It's OK for a small car with a small engine - it's a dog off the line, but picks up nicely after 3,000 RPMs. Small car allows for good maneuverability in city traffic.
Old 12-15-2008, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by muckz
They're alright. I was hyped up to drive a Mini from reading praise from other people. When the time came, it didn't live up to the hype.

It's OK for a small car with a small engine - it's a dog off the line, but picks up nicely after 3,000 RPMs. Small car allows for good maneuverability in city traffic.
I guess it all depends on what your expectations are. It's not fast and torquey in the way an LS1 Camaro might be. I just found it very pleasing to drive though. Very rigid little car, with great steering and feel. Power was no more than adequate I thought - but that wasn't really the car's high point.

Did you drive the turbo or base engine?
Old 12-15-2008, 04:17 PM

I had an '03 S 6 speed as a demo for a little while during my first summer here in '06. 31 MPG, and I drove it like I stole it. Fun as hell. I actually considered selling my RS (this before the restoration) for a down payment for it...was gonna mod the hell out of it and make it even more of a go kart than it was.

Then the masculine side of me said, well, F that
Old 12-15-2008, 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by Jason E
Glad you came to your senses
Old 12-16-2008, 11:35 AM

My only gripe with them is, of course, the design. It's just not serious enough for me--especially the interior. Mini aimed for an "analog" feel like the original Mini in an almost clown-like fashion. Lots of toggles--big ones, round *****, gauges that look like they were added-on after the fact (if you get the gauge pod over the steering wheel). I guess that's an appeal for some, but I guess i prefer the techno-gadgetry, little buttons, LED's that most new designs have.

They're really FUN cars though. I think Mini has proven that if you build a car that people really WANT, it will sell well.
Old 12-16-2008, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by Z284ever
I guess it all depends on what your expectations are. It's not fast and torquey in the way an LS1 Camaro might be. I just found it very pleasing to drive though. Very rigid little car, with great steering and feel. Power was no more than adequate I thought - but that wasn't really the car's high point.

Did you drive the turbo or base engine?
I drove the regular, non-sport version. I liked driving in underground parking lots - it's definitely nimble, responsive, quick.

It's a little hard on bumps for my taste, and I found the lack of power right off the line was very noticeable if I tried to accelerate from stop and merge onto the left lane.

It is a fun car, for sure, but I think the S version would've been the icing on the cake that I felt this car needed.
Old 12-16-2008, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by Jason E
I had an '03 S 6 speed as a demo for a little while during my first summer here in '06. 31 MPG, and I drove it like I stole it. Fun as hell. I actually considered selling my RS (this before the restoration) for a down payment for it...was gonna mod the hell out of it and make it even more of a go kart than it was.

Jason, most every Mini driver I have ever seen were men. In fact, to this very day, I can probably count the number of female Mini driver's I've seen.

I agree with You & Charlie, though. Minis are an absolute blast to drive. If anyone must buy a commuter car, lives permanently in the city, or is looking for a brand new car for strictly Point A to Point B runs, skip the Aveo/G3, Yaris, or Civic. Keep in mind this is coming from someone who as a rule hates FWD performance cars. You won't win many quarter mile races, but if you have ever driven a go kart and a Chevy Monza, you'll start to get the idea of what a Mini is like. It's the definition of tossable.

Why don't I have one?

Because I often drive long distance. While these might be a fun choice running down Highway 1, these certainly aren't the best car for running from San Francisco to San Diego, or Phoenix, or Vegas.

I also need occasional use of the back seat. The one in the Mini is nothing more than a padded package shelf with seatbelts there to securely hold in whatever you're carrying..... presumably because you'll be driving it like you stole it.
Old 12-16-2008, 11:49 AM

Actually, my wife and I were thinking of getting it just before we got our Mazda3. The only thing is that it cost more than we were willing to spend on it, and the design to me is really dated by now.

Mazda3's design is dated too, but it blends in better than Mini.

Just for the record, i drove automatic version which was the biggest hindrance.