Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Mid engine V6 C8?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 04:11 PM

GM has been threatening us a with a mid-engined Vette since I was in high school - which trust me - was a looong time ago. For so many reasons, (namely cost), I think Corvette should stay with the current layout.

If GM wants to design an EXPENSIVE mid-engined sportscar, let Cadillac have it and charge appropriately.
Old 03-18-2010, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by jg95z28
And there you have the only reason for GM go to a TT-V6. GM has to pay a sizable penalty if they don't meet CAFE. Having a Corvette that got 10-15% better fuel mileage would help move them closer to being CAFE positive.
It likely wouldn't be that high of an advantage when all was said and done thanks to the new EPA rules.
I don't buy the added weight and cost B.S. The added weight would be minimal because it would be a smaller engine.
Yes, dropping two cylinders saves weight - but you'd have a DOHC motor that has much taller and wider cylinder heads (in a car that's trying to drop firewall height and engine height like the plague to lower center of mass - another downside - which even a front engined C7 would have to deal with). Add two turbos at quite a few pounds each and then all the intercooler piping and intercoolers themselves (which would sit in the front bumper, adding weight far out front). Versus a plain jane pushrod the weight gain is well into double digits - on a car that engineers struggle to remove every few ounces. Not to mention the cost of all of those components and a more complicated engine even without the turbos! When you look into the details, the outlook is grim.
Besides, were talking mid-engine design here from the ground up, not retrofitting a TT-V6 into the current C6. The engineers will be able to work around any design issues.
Moving the engine provides the same issues as designing a front engine C7 in terms of packaging - an engine bay is an engine bay - the problem is that developing the rest of the rear-biased car is just something GM does not have a lot of experience with. Dangerous water with one of their most recognized names.

Now of course there is debate as to whether a mid-rear engine Corvette would be lighter than the similar mid-front engined vehicle, and on that we can only guess. But on the other hand, Aston Martin and Ferrari still like the idea of front engine rear drive grand touring machines - and seem to do decently well with them.
Old 03-18-2010, 10:48 PM

Actually - Here's what would be really good of the C8 -- A Small-block DOHC V8, Hybrid.

Say maybe a 327ci (5.365L) with AFM, VVT, DOD that puts out roughly 460 hp+ and gets about 30-32 mph on the highway. Of Course this would be the base model.

The Z06/ZR1 would still put out between 550-650hp - but imagine them getting about 25-27 mpg on the highway.
Old 03-18-2010, 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by Z284ever
GM has been threatening us a with a mid-engined Vette since I was in high school - which trust me - was a looong time ago. For so many reasons, (namely cost), I think Corvette should stay with the current layout.

If GM wants to design an EXPENSIVE mid-engined sportscar, let Cadillac have it and charge appropriately.

I got a nice look at the Aerovette (it almost became the 1980 Corvette) at the Heritage Center last August. A mid-engine Vette wouldnt cost more to build, here is what ex-Corvette Engineer Dave McClellan had to say about it:

“When we got to the C5 Corvette, I told [designer Jerry] Palmer that if he wanted to do a mid-engine Corvette, I would support it because I knew we knew how to do it and do it well. In the end, it would have been easier to do than the front-mid- engine rear-drive that we came up with and it wouldn’t have cost a nickel more. That a mid-engine car would cost more than a front-engine car is basically phooey." (88 Fiero GT is a good example of this)

Jay Leno took a Z06 Chassis and made the mid-engine Turbojet car out of it. The tranny is in the right spot to do it on the existing chassis.

Another interesting tidbit from the Product and Technology Event. I asked then Cadillac Marketing Manager Steve Shannon about the mid-engine Cadillac Cien concept. He mentioned all the car would need is about 400 hp. Surprisingly, he isnt with GM anymore, it was part of the recent Cadillac restructuring.

I feel only the top model Vette should be mid-engine, keeping the main car in line with the cars heritage. A mid-engine would sell out even at 100k, once the economy improves. A limited run car could be done on the dormant XLR line. A mid-engine v6 would be a nice new base Fiero.

Last edited by gtjeff; 03-19-2010 at 12:27 AM.
Old 03-19-2010, 01:51 AM

Some cars as iconic as the Corvette are known by their layout. The Vette has always been front engine rear drive. The Porsche 911 has always been rear engine and rear drive. Audi has embraced Quattro and Lambo has done well with the mid engine rear layout.

We've all heard the rumors about the Vette going mid engine since the 70's. It seems like this happens whenever the Vette is nearing another generation do we hear of the mid engine talk. I think the Vette should stay front engine. I don't see the benefit for going mid engine regardless of the cost. Corvette has almost perfected this layout and I have no doubt the C7 will raise the bar once again. From an engineering standpoint the Vette can compete with the best sports cars available today.

IF GM wants a high level mid engine sports car then I agree with the earlier poster that it should be another brand.
Old 03-19-2010, 07:28 AM

Something has to be said for history and heritage. A mid-engined Corvette, with a V6 at that, is no longer a Corvette IMO.

If a recovering-from-bankruptcy GM really wants to fritter money away toying with a mid-engined car, call it something else and give it to Cadillac.
Old 03-19-2010, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by krj-1168
Actually - Here's what would be really good of the C8 -- A Small-block DOHC V8, Hybrid.

Say maybe a 327ci (5.365L) with AFM, VVT, DOD that puts out roughly 460 hp+ and gets about 30-32 mph on the highway. Of Course this would be the base model.

The Z06/ZR1 would still put out between 550-650hp - but imagine them getting about 25-27 mpg on the highway.

Same weight issue though, adding a big hybrid battery and supporting hardware. At that point, might as well just do the TT route, as they're much cooler to brag about than a battery

I imagine the DOD you typed was supposed to be direct injection? AFM-active fuel managment is now what GM calls what was in the past DOD-displacement on demand.

And finally, while not trying to sound like a jerk, I think a jump from 26mpg highway (C6) to 30-32mpg highway (C7) sounds VERY optimistic, especially when hybrid systems don't do much for your highway fuel economy.
Old 03-19-2010, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by Z28Wilson
Something has to be said for history and heritage. A mid-engined Corvette, with a V6 at that, is no longer a Corvette IMO.

If a recovering-from-bankruptcy GM really wants to fritter money away toying with a mid-engined car, call it something else and give it to Cadillac.
I'm with you on this. If GM wants to do a mid-engine car. Fine, I have no problem with it. Just don't make it a Corvette. Cadillac would be a great place to have one though.
Old 03-19-2010, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by soul strife
I'm with you on this. If GM wants to do a mid-engine car. Fine, I have no problem with it. Just don't make it a Corvette. Cadillac would be a great place to have one though.
Or Pontiac.

I agree. The C3's have always been my favorite. Front engine, long nose, short rear deck... and most important... hidden headlamps. To me they have always said "Corvette" more than any other generation. That said, I absolutely love the way the C6 performs. I kind of hoped the C7 would give us the best of both worlds.
Old 03-19-2010, 01:11 PM
West South Central Moderator

I could just imagine what somebody like Jeremy Clarkson would say about this...

Don't I remember reading in here that the LLT's design has the capacity to reach more than 4L? A mid engine Caddy with a forced induction 4.0L V6 could be awesome.
Old 03-19-2010, 03:58 PM

I agree. The C3's have always been my favorite. Front engine, long nose, short rear deck... and most important... hidden headlamps. To me they have always said "Corvette" more than any other generation. That said, I absolutely love the way the C6 performs. I kind of hoped the C7 would give us the best of both worlds.
If we are to believe to any of the hints from Ed Welburn or the style of the Stingray concept it would seem that GM is looking to incorporate several styling cues in from Gen 1, grille. Gen 2, split window. ( not my preferance) Gen 3, large swooping front fenders and a short rear deck. And Gen 6 with fixed headlights. Lets hope they pull it off.
Old 03-19-2010, 04:05 PM
Super Moderator

I can see a V6 Corvette as a possibility someday... but never V6-only. A V8 would at least be an option.