Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Mid engine V6 C8?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 02:09 PM

Mid engine V6 C8?

http://www.4wheelsnews.com/radical-m...-in-the-works/

LOL! Yay, 3.6L for everyone!!!

(Sarcasm)

Not sure I buy this, but it wouldn't surprise me.
Old 03-17-2010, 02:13 PM

Sounds like BS. GM leaking some disinformation to try and drum up C6 sales maybe.

Buy your V8 Corvette while you still can

Even if gas was $8 a gallon GM would still make, and people would still buy V8 Corvettes.
Old 03-17-2010, 02:26 PM

i think we been hearing about corvette going Mid engine since i can remember.. jezz...
Old 03-17-2010, 02:34 PM

C7 isn't even out yet, which means C8 is basically just a discussion at this point. I doubt the V8 is going anywhere.
Old 03-17-2010, 02:37 PM

[checks calendar... nope, not April 1 yet]

How many times have we heard this song and dance only to have Corvette enthusiasts worldwide rise up in arms against such a notion? (Seems like the first time C3's were still in production and talk was of a future "economically friendly" C4.)

I'll believe it when I see it.... but if it does happen, you can be assured Ol' Zora will be rolling around in is grave.
Old 03-17-2010, 03:10 PM

What a "hack"!

The article above references another article on Autoweek, however takes on a different twist.

http://www.autoweek.com/article/2010...NEWS/100319875

Notice how:
Originally Posted by Autoweek
The C7 had been the focus of plans for a mid-engined model capable of matching Europe's most exotic supercars. The mid-engined C7 got as far as engineering development but was canceled when the global credit crunch hit and GM faced financial woes that eventually led to the company's trip through bankruptcy court.

As a result, GM recast its Corvette plans around a more modest revamp of today's C6 into the C7 version, essentially a stopgap until the world-beating C8 arrives.
became
Originally Posted by 4wheelsnews
Apparently GM plans a more modest revamp of today’s C6 into the C7 version, which got as far as engineering development but was then canceled due to the global credit crunch.
Furthermore, Autoweek goes on to suggest that a twin-turbo V6 C8 wouldn't be out until MY 2016.

Old 03-17-2010, 04:38 PM

GM has been showing Mid engine corvettes since the early 60s. There were even mid engine rotory Corvette's that were shown..... Didnt happen then, wont happen now.... Maybe a Caddy sports car in developemen to compete with the R8 and 911...
Old 03-17-2010, 06:25 PM

Have we reached a point today where a TT V6 would be a serious alternative to the big V8s. My heart says no way, but my mind suggests otherwise. If the head ruled the heart (which it does) I say why not?

But the other side of me says if Ferrari and Lamborghini can make do with their showpiece V12s, then Corvette should continue with its signature V8s... even if the Corvette started out with a six.

Confused.

EDIT: Perhaps the solution is for GM to stop making Corvette the top dog and put out some performance Cadillacs with TT V6 power and V8/V10/V12 power?
Old 03-17-2010, 06:41 PM

The difference between Ferraris/Lamborghinis and Corvettes is volume. While GM would like for Corvette to be thought of as world-class on the same level, they need to make it relatively affordable so they sell enough to justify its existence.

While I'm dead set against a TT-V6 Corvette, I can see where the bean-counters would find it an attractive alternative. Personally, I'd rather see a smaller/lighter C8 get a small V8, something along the lines of a 400-hp N/A 5.3L. Then you could always add forced induction/displacement to the low volume/higher content models.
Old 03-17-2010, 06:52 PM

I agree - one of things that helps seperate the Corvette from European competitors is the fact that it's still a front engine rwd car.

And there's also the fact that GM has been throwing around the idea of a Mid engine Corvette for at least a couple of decades now. Personally - I believe that if GM does decide to go mid engine for the Corvette - then it's remain days will be numbered.
Old 03-17-2010, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by krj-1168
I agree - one of things that helps seperate the Corvette from European competitors is the fact that it's still a front engine rwd car.
There are plenty of front engine rear drive GT cars out there for Corvette to compete with coming out of Europe.
Originally Posted by jg95z28
While I'm dead set against a TT-V6 Corvette, I can see where the bean-counters would find it an attractive alternative.
But that's the thing (and it has been beaten to death). A twin turbo V6 versus a V8 N/A takes up more space in the chassis, requires more frontal area for a larger cooling package, is harder to work the exhaust (and requires more heat shielding), is more expensive to design, is more expensive to build, more expensive to warranty, takes longer and more effort to assemble AND WOULD BE HEAVIER. The Bean counters HATE that idea. The only advantage would be in fuel economy - which would be fighting against the increased weight and drag created by the new package.
Originally Posted by Evil Turbo SS
Maybe a Caddy sports car in development to compete with the R8 and 911...
If (and big if) GM ever got the development capital to design an effective mid-rear engined chassis (as the Corvette has been mid-front engined for years) then it would go to Cadillac.

But that would require GM (a) have a killer lineup across all 3 Core brands, (b) have some wicked sweet profit margins, and (c) have the guts to do it.

Originally Posted by jg95z28
Furthermore, Autoweek goes on to suggest that a twin-turbo V6 C8 wouldn't be out until MY 2016.
GM barely had the capital to justify the C7. GM currently does not have the manpower or the capital to invest in a mid engined C8 at this time - and with knowing GM's mid-engined history - they'd need to be starting it now.

Dead horse - but it sells magazines and draws in readers for banner advertising - so they'll keep on posting this stuff.
Old 03-17-2010, 08:53 PM

Every time the Corvette gets redesigned, they talk about it going mid-engined. It's been going on for decades. Now that it's clear the C7 won't be mid-engined (which wasn't really a surprise), it's the C8's turn.

The Corvette already competes favorably with mid-engined European exotics. Let's not forget who won their Le Mans class 6 times in recent years - it wasn't Ferrari or Lamborghini. Leave the Corvette front-engine, RWD.
Old 03-17-2010, 10:17 PM
slt

Originally Posted by skorpion317
Let's not forget who won their Le Mans class 6 times in recent years - it wasn't Ferrari or Lamborghini. Leave the Corvette front-engine, RWD.
You mean American Le Mans? The series where the only two cars in GT1 are the factory backed Vettes? Kinda hard to lose when you're the only one racing

I cant wait for the upcoming season with them going to GT2. If they string some championships there then its saying something. Season opener is this Saturday, live coverage on Speed
Old 03-17-2010, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by slt
You mean American Le Mans?....
Corvettes have won their class (GTS/GT1) in the 24 hrs of Le Mans six out of the last nine years (including last year). No small feat
Old 03-18-2010, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by Geoff Chadwick
But that's the thing (and it has been beaten to death). A twin turbo V6 versus a V8 N/A takes up more space in the chassis, requires more frontal area for a larger cooling package, is harder to work the exhaust (and requires more heat shielding), is more expensive to design, is more expensive to build, more expensive to warranty, takes longer and more effort to assemble AND WOULD BE HEAVIER. The Bean counters HATE that idea. The only advantage would be in fuel economy - which would be fighting against the increased weight and drag created by the new package.
And there you have the only reason for GM go to a TT-V6. GM has to pay a sizable penalty if they don't meet CAFE. Having a Corvette that got 10-15% better fuel mileage would help move them closer to being CAFE positive.

I don't buy the added weight and cost B.S. The added weight would be minimal because it would be a smaller engine. Besides, were talking mid-engine design here from the ground up, not retrofitting a TT-V6 into the current C6. The engineers will be able to work around any design issues.

Smaller turbo engines are the future if we still want to depend on fossil fuels. Sure there may be some added costs to maintenance; however the only alternative is battery-electric, until someone can make a reliable solar powered car.

That said... I don't think any Corvette should get a V6... turbo, twin-turbo or otherwise.

Now a small sub-5L TT-V8 is a different story.

Last edited by jg95z28; 03-18-2010 at 10:51 AM.

Quick Reply: Mid engine V6 C8?