Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Is the Malibu unnecisarily beat on?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2002, 01:08 PM

Is the Malibu unnecisarily beat on?

I got to thinking today. (I know dangerous)

The Malibu really isn't that bad of a car right now. Imports can;t touch it in price...it offers a standard V6, and shockingly JD Power rates it #1 (Higher than Accord and Camry in initial quality). Sure it's underpowered and boring...but so is the Camary and untill this year the Accord. Also it is dirt cheap compared to the competition.

My question here is take away the bias toward FWD and for GM using the Malibu name on it and ask yourself in a class that is known for boring FWD sedans...is it all that bad?

IMO it would make a sensible daily driver and seems to be pretty reliable.
Old 11-19-2002, 01:14 PM

a malibu is a true P.O.S.
Old 11-19-2002, 01:18 PM

Re: Is the Malibu unnecisarily beat on?

Originally posted by formula79
I got to thinking today. (I know dangerous)

The Malibu really isn't that bad of a car right now. Imports can;t touch it in price...it offers a standard V6, and shockingly JD Power rates it #1 (Higher than Accord and Camry in initial quality). Sure it's underpowered and boring...but so is the Camary and untill this year the Accord. Also it is dirt cheap compared to the competition.

My question here is take away the bias toward FWD and for GM using the Malibu name on it and ask yourself in a class that is known for boring FWD sedans...is it all that bad?

IMO it would make a sensible daily driver and seems to be pretty reliable.
I would agree...

Malibu is a reasonably priced transportation device... basically what it needs to be in it's market.

A lot of people want every car out there to be a RWD , V8 monster, and if something is not that, they rip it apart...

Malibu has it's place.
Old 11-19-2002, 01:33 PM

My mom just bought a Malibu, and she LOVES it. I've driven it, and it is fairly gutless, but I really like the interior and the ride quality.

Sure, it's not nearly as cool as the Malibu my dad owned when I was born, but hey, she likes it.
Old 11-19-2002, 02:02 PM

Well, I for one love the look of the new one(in sketch form) and don't understand why a lot of people just rag on it and Gm's attempt to better themselves with this car. I am interested to see the production model.
Old 11-19-2002, 02:28 PM
Admin Emeritus

I bought my wife a Malibu a few months ago.

It is bigger than a Cavalier and not as expensive as a Buick Regal.

Underpowered? My ***! That little V6 can burn the tires for a good distance.

It is a good daily driver, not too big, not to small, not too basic and not too fancy. She likes it.
Old 11-19-2002, 03:13 PM

There certainly is a segment for Malibu, and you can't argue that it makes effective transportation.

But, does it really need to be so completely and utterly devoid of any character whatsoever?
Old 11-19-2002, 03:40 PM

Originally posted by Z284ever

But, does it really need to be so completely and utterly devoid of any character whatsoever?
Actually, I'd lean toward answering that question with a 'yes'.

I think that blandness actually attracts most buyers in this segment... People who think of a car as nothing more an a means to get from point A to point B. Think about the competition... non of them really stand out in a crowd style-wise. Accord. Camry. Taurus. All pretty bland. All sell like wildfire...

It's a 'safe' look...

Last edited by Darth Xed; 11-19-2002 at 04:00 PM.
Old 11-19-2002, 03:57 PM

Originally posted by Darth Xed
It's a 'safe' look...
Less is more.

I drove a rental Malibu, I think it was a '97 and I loved it. I've considered buying one as a daily driver, but I'd rather own a truck as a 'beater.'

Nice car. Can't we just leave the Malibu be?

Jeff
Old 11-19-2002, 04:58 PM

There's bland which the camary and accord are, then there's the malibue...

I'll take my accord. I've owned 1 from each of the last 3 generations (90,95,99) and have found them to be excellent all around cars.
Old 11-19-2002, 05:11 PM

had one for a rental.. and for what it is, its a great car.. was really impressed with how smooth and comfortable it was.. Its depressing how its put together better than my Camaro.. If someone like my mom was looking for a boring smaller car for daily transportation, I would recommend one.. It was right up there with Toyota IMO..

Its character is a "conservative, quiet, comfortable, reliable car"

Hoepfulyl the future models can pull away from conservative but still keep the quiet, comfortable, and reliable part.
Old 11-19-2002, 06:02 PM

in my court, we actually have 2 malibus, from what i see, i like, nice interior, better than my 2001 altima. But the new look, sketch, me likey!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
Old 11-19-2002, 09:52 PM

Originally posted by JasonD
Underpowered? My ***! That little V6 can burn the tires for a good distance....
The first ones had the 150 horse engine and took about 10 seconds to 60. The newer ones have almost 180 and do the 0-60 run in upper 7s to low 8s, so I'm guessing you have oone of the newer versions.

BTW, yes, Malibus are actually marginally quicker than a Monte Carlo SS.
Old 11-20-2002, 12:17 AM

Originally posted by Darth Xed

I think that blandness actually attracts most buyers in this segment...

Well, that's what Chevy's clinics told them before they were released. Prospective customers at these clinics indicated that they would feel "uncomfortable" with attractive styling.

Regarding the Camry comparison....I'd like everyone to take a really, really close look at the next new Camry you come across.

Yes, it's somewhat bland...but it is so well executed, it becomes more attractive, the closer you look.

The high quality way that the sheetmetal is stamped, the perfect gaps everywhere, the perfectly applied trim, the high quality paint.

Toyota's execution makes a bland car look good.

Take the time to check one out for afew minutes.....you'll see what I mean.

That's what GM needs to master.
Old 11-20-2002, 12:45 AM

What does JD Power's initial quality category mean? Is this any useful rating at all? Is it quality of cars for the first 15 days, or some other pathetic category, or does it actually mean something?

We all know where GM quality with cars is in 5 years, and I will not hesitate to take used Accord over used Malibu.

I will not even hesitate to take new 4-cylinder Accord over new V6 Malibu - those cars are worlds apart, IMO. Go sit in a Malibu. Then go sit in Accord. And their prices are roughly the same, with Malibu being about CDN $ 1000 - 2000 cheaper, depending on the model.

Quick Reply: Is the Malibu unnecisarily beat on?