Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Los Angeles Auto Show.

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 05:09 AM

Los Angeles Auto Show.

Part 1
Just got back, and wanted to jot down a few impressions before turning in.

First, this show was better than last year. When the LA show came about last November, the last Press day coincided with the CEOs of all 3 US car makers in front of congress recieving a dress down from it's members in coming to Washington asking for federal money after flying in on private corperate jets. The mood at the show was downright sour, and so was alot of the overheard talk.

This year was a different story. Chrysler's display last year looked like it was prrposely attempting to be ignored. Ford's was OK, but not like it has been in the past. Even GM's seemed a little down. Not this year!

Chrysler's was arguably the best visually. Ford's was cramed packed with products. GM all but owned the new vehicle introductions at the LA show. GM had at least 5! 4 new car introductions and 1 concept.

Some highlights.

Ford's Mustang
Although at 1st blush, Ford packing 305 horsepower into a 3500 pound base level V6 Mustang may seem like giving baby a handgun, it's far from it. Although the issue has been brought up about that kind of power being available on an entry level car, some points to consider.

1. The new V6 Mustang will not out power the current Mustang GT (it has 50 lbs/ft less torque and a 3.31 axle next to the GT's 3.73 in Track Pack form)

2. Teenagers do not buy new cars. Parents that buy them for them are not only extraordinarily rare, but assume the responsibilityof any outcome. Remember, parents are responsible for their kids actions until at least 18.

3. A teenager can already go onto any used car lot and easily buy an LS1 powered 4th gen (let alone a just-as-quick-n-fast-as-the-new-V6-Mustang LT1). Unlike some V6 5th gen Camaros, the V6 Mustang will have a governer. No word yet on what that speed will be.

The V6 Mustang has the GT's 255 tires, the GT's exhaust, the GT's 160 mph speedometer, and the GT's Track pack. The Mustang also has 2 new grilles. The stand "honeycomb" that has the "Coralled Pony", and a special edition that has a grille that looks alot like the Hertz Shelbys.

Ford Fiesta
This car WILL gain Ford entry into the "Tuner" and "Import" crowd. Ford had a few examples of customized versions there. They are going to be popular.

The cars themselves will come in 2 body styles. One with a trunk and one with a chopped off looking hatch. The trunk will likely be what you see moms and utility companies drive. The hatch is likely to be what you'll see at local parking lot gatherings. Inside, they take some getting used to, but are actually comfortable, stylish (almost to the point of being overstyled), but seem to be the right size for throwing them around. Visability is excellent as is fit and finish. There's more hard surfaces than what is becoming the norm at Ford, but for the price it's selling at, I doubt anyone will complain. None the less, it still doesn't feel cheap.

Buick Regal
It's actually a very nice car. It will also get alot of younger buyers. It's the 1st Buick I could remotely see myself driving since the 1988 Turbo Regals. The interior isn't Buick. It seems more like a Euro version of the CTS's interior (solid, similar, but without the flash). It's roughly the size of the G6, although in person it looks a smidgen smaller.

Chevrolet Volt
The thing is weird. The Exterior isn't as downright ugly as it is in pictures. But it is offbeat in the way the new Prius is. But that's nothing compared to the interior. How does white plastic... the kind associated with 50s era kitchen appliences (or quirky Japanese market-only "cute" cars)...sound. It's neet in an offbeat sort of way, but it's a far cry from what I'm used to in a car. This interior is unlike anything you've seen from GM (or any other US based manufacturer). I don't really like it myself.

Chevrolet Cruze
This thing IS going to be a hit. The interior is darn near perfect. It has the Cadillac CTS-like guages that GM seems to be sticking into everything from Buicks to Equinoxes. The car on the stage had courduroy-like padded material that covered where the passenger airbag is. The material matches the padding on the doors. It sounds weird, but damn-it if it doesn't work! It gives the Cruze an interior that both looks better and feels more comfortable than the Honda Civic.

However, there is one huge, supersized, glaring problem with the Cruze.

GM sold at least 90,000 Cobalt coupes last year, yet for some unknown (and even illogical) reason, the Cruze has no coupe, and apparently none is in the works. That deserves a "WTF".

Cadillac CTS coupe
That fastback sure does make it look small. But the car still looks like money. One item that doesn't transfer over to pictures very well is that the rear end is actually slighted pointed as well as slightly sloped. It's hard to tell in pictures, and was a bit of a surprize when you see it in person.

Chevrolet Camaro
Yes, the Camaro has been on sale for months. Yes, not only have we seen plenty of them, but many here own them. However, at the LA show, there were no fewer than 4 Camaro concepts! At least 3 of them had items that will be appearing on a future Camaro.

Rolls Royce Ghost
Yes, it was unveiled at LA. Yes, I got to crawl all over it as did everyone else in attendance. Yes, the Phantom and the Drophead were both also there to be tried out. If you ever get a chance to sit in one, do it! The Phantom was a bit over the top, but as I kept checking out the Ghost I kept wondering why we no longer make this type of cars in the US. This is the type and class of car that used to be done by Packard, Duesenburg, and even Cadillac and Lincoln. It seems once World War 2 ended, this type of car was dead in the US. These cars have perhaps a model or 2 on the showroom floor, and a room where you pick out the type of leather, carpeting, and which kind of real wood you want for the interior trim, as well as the color (or colors) of paint you want the exterior. The massive Phantom can only be done credibly by Rolls Royce, but the Ghost makes me wonder why we don't have something like that made here.

Chevrolet Caprice 9C1
Yes, it was here too. I will bet a Bud that one will pass you and you will barely notice it. The car looks like a slightly larger Impala, an illusion reinforced even more by it's tail end which is a dead ringer for the current Impala. It has it's own unique center stack/console that housed the HVAC, power window and doorlocks, and some switches. The Radio (which nowadays contains one of the engine management computers) is relocated to the trunk.

Chrysler:
Although they had nothing new on the turntable other than a customized 300SRT8 on one and the most striking canary yellow Dodge Challenger R/T you'll ever see in your life, Chrysler had arguably the most striking show display. Cars were arranged in 3 rows (Dodge up front, Chrysler nex, and in the back behind a semi-divider in a single room, Jeep and Ram (with a customized Wrangler on the turntable that could pass as a Jeep version of Ford's Baja ready Raptor). Add very bright lights and very white carpeting, a Dodge Viper shrine-like area with no fewer than 4 different kinds of Vipers, a case of trophys, 2 display cases of Mopar toys and paraphenelia, and you have a very eye catching display. Sure, Chrysler has mostly a carryover line, but since Cerberus all but killed off the advertising budget nearly a year and a half ago, the effect is that it's new and exciting.

More later. Gotta get some sleep.
Old 12-04-2009, 05:44 AM
West South Central Moderator

no pictures?
Old 12-04-2009, 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by guionM
Chevrolet Camaro
Yes, the Camaro has been on sale for months. Yes, not only have we seen plenty of them, but many here own them. However, at the LA show, there were no fewer than 4 Camaro concepts! At least 3 of them had items that will be appearing on a future Camaro.
What are these items for future Camaros?

- Did the Ford Fiesta have a middle arm rest for the driver? That was the only complaint with the Euro version that would keep me away.

- Volt interior looks like an Apple computer.

- I also don't understand why they didn't make a Cruze coupe for the USA. They have had a coupe of years to get it done.
Old 12-04-2009, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by Z28x
- Volt interior looks like an Apple computer.
That's exactly what it looks and feels like. The one I saw also had the graphic circuit board type pattern on the seats and panels.

For that car and the people who are going to be most likely to buy, I think it works. It's really stylized, but I think walks the line between the people who will buy it, and the people who think of themselves as buying it.
Old 12-04-2009, 03:26 PM

GM sold at least 90,000 Cobalt coupes last year, yet for some unknown (and even illogical) reason, the Cruze has no coupe, and apparently none is in the works. That deserves a "WTF".
Yea that is a huge mistake. I figured that they had a coupe in the plans for an intro next year or something like that. No coupe option makes no sence at all. We were talking in the other thread about the Kia Forte' Koup and what a Cruze Coupe would need to compete in that market.
Old 12-05-2009, 11:00 AM

Remember GM initially said the Cobalt would continue to be built alongside the Cruze, at least for a short while. I suspect GM is aware of the Cobalt coupe's popularity and it will continue to build the coupe-only as a separate vehicle for at least a year or two. One it saves the cost of developing a Cruze coupe, and two it gives them a unique, albeit only by skin and name, vehicle to target younger buyers with.
Old 12-07-2009, 12:17 PM

Good write up Guy. I'll add that it was sad to see the hall normally occupied by Ferrari and Maserati empty. Lamborghini was also missed for various reasons.

And just to add fuel to the fire regarding the never ending weight debate-

-Hyundai claimed the new Sonata is 130lbs lighter than the current model. They also proclaimed the death of the v6 engine. They're placing their eggs in the DI 4/DI 4 Turbo basket.

-Porsche claimed the new Boxter Spyder is 170+ ilbs lighter than the current car, although the had to use rope interior door handles to get there (sorry I left my pics at home) Now that's commitment!

Last edited by Hoodshaker; 12-07-2009 at 02:48 PM.
Old 12-07-2009, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by AdioSS
no pictures?
I'll get them up as soon as I get a chance.

I'm old fashioned.

I used film.
Old 12-07-2009, 01:21 PM

Say.. Whatever happened to the Camaro ragtop they were talking about releasing, hmm, right about now? Or did that option get axed?
Old 12-07-2009, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by nightshade
say.. Whatever happened to the camaro ragtop they were talking about releasing, hmm, right about now? Or did that option get axed?
my2012.
Old 12-07-2009, 05:18 PM

So we've heard about the 2011 Mustang V6. What about the GT?? Is Ford making everyone wait until Detroit next month.
Old 12-07-2009, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by 99SilverSS
So we've heard about the 2011 Mustang V6. What about the GT?? Is Ford making everyone wait until Detroit next month.

Thats the word so far, and GT500 next month after that.
Old 12-07-2009, 06:14 PM

Part 1
Chevrolet Cruze

Dumbass GM/Chevrolet...
Old 12-07-2009, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by OutsiderIROC-Z
Dumbass GM/Chevrolet...
Not that I disagree, because I think the Cruze needs a coupe too, but Toyota Corolla and Mazda3 have been doing quite well without a coupe in their lineups.
Old 12-07-2009, 06:32 PM

yeah it seems odd there is no Cruze coupe? I was sorta looking forward to seeing if GM was going to do a follow up to the awesomeness of the Cobalt SS.

Quick Reply: Los Angeles Auto Show.