Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Looks like Dodge isn't playing around, factory SRT8 blowers

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 09:11 AM

Re: Looks like Dodge isn't playing around, factory SRT8 blowers

Originally Posted by 96_Camaro_B4C
I will be completely shocked if this is a regular factory option instead of a dealer-installed (but warrantied) option like the Ford package for the 5.0. I just don't see it happening that way.
Well i'm hoping for the dealer installed option that way my insurance won't get hit as hard as it would with a supercharger vin, plus it gives me time to have the car for a while and see if I really want one considering the car is already a 12 second runner. I wish Ford would offer the supercharger kit for the auto with the warranty, that would be tempting and about $15k cheaper.
Old 08-05-2011, 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by 5thgen69camaro

Nice throwback to the cubic inches. I wonder if this will be a new trend.

Would be cool to see a 427 badge on the Z06 like that
Old 08-07-2011, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by TOO Z MAXX
This is the one thing that really irritates me about this website. Wheather you like it or not the auto business is extremly political. Since this secrion of the site is dedicated to automotive news and industry info, some political discussion should be allowed. Some cars today even mske a poltical statement. I dont see ehat the big deal is. You dont like the politics of the business dont read it. Is that so difficult for some to do without whining like a bunch of crybabys
Seems like I missed some things while I was away.

The auto business is NOT extremely political. Some of that proof is right here on this site.

The Camaro Z28 is perhaps the most politically incorrect car on the road. Yet, look at the wide range of people who are members here.

Politicizing something that has no need to be leads to bad things.

Name calling & labeling simply because you disagree leads to something that's most certainly going to get a response.

That's how threads go off course, members go at each other's throats, and people get banned.

Those who can't avoid this (especially the labeling and name calling) IMHO should post elsewhere.

One suggestion: the Yahoo News comment section.

Some minor political discussion, perhaps. As long as it's a discussion based on facts and merits of points and viewpoints, people can always agree to disagree.

But when people seem compelled to throw around labels and namecalling when they don't agree with something (Crybabies?... Come on...Really??? ) then perhaps some discussion needs to be reigned in, since it gets quickly out of hand.

Originally Posted by 5thgen69camaro
Jason,

Does this include constant political "Advocating for some time"

https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/sho...46&postcount=6
I included Mr. Lutz's political affiliation as evidence that the idea crosses political lines. Simply because you disagree with it doesn't mean that it's "political advocating for some time".

Just the same, in the future, I guess I will avoid using political party affiliation of the person I'm talking about.... as long as we aren't using labels.

Going back to the thread (and staying there)...

On a related subject, Chrysler plans to reintroduce a Super Bee and Daytona version of the Charger. No timeline yet, but it is in their short range plans.

Last edited by guionM; 08-07-2011 at 02:14 PM.
Old 08-08-2011, 09:40 AM
Admin Emeritus

Everyone's points have been made, and I don't think they need to continue to be a one-string banjo song. No one likes to dance to that kind of music.

If anyone cares to continue to non-automotive dialog, I am going to come right out and say that it shouldn't be put here. The Internet is a big place, and it wouldn't be difficult to find the right place for it.

I and many others are very interested in the actual topic of this thread, and don't care about the personal issues people have with outside entities. It is not up to us to have to swim through that in order to read what we came here to read.

I am trying to be very nice about this on behalf of everyone else, so I would expect the same in return.

Thanks to all for understanding.
Old 08-08-2011, 01:42 PM

Thank you..... some people never learn.

Soooo......

I noticed that the current SRT8 engines put out about 475 horses already. The SRT blower brings that up to just 570.

Maybe it's just me, but does that seem like a pretty low percentage gain? Normally, a blower is good for a gain of 1/3 to 1/2 of the power an engine produced originally.

This one increases output by just what? 20% or so??

Perhaps run low because of the SRT8 engine's relatively high compression ratio?

Last edited by guionM; 08-08-2011 at 01:46 PM.
Old 08-08-2011, 02:06 PM

Perhaps. Did they say what boost pressure is?

A very rough estimate would be double the power at 14.7psi, so 50% extra at around 8psi... 30% at 5psi. Of course that is generous because it does not count the reduction in air mass from increased temp and reduction in power from reduced timing. Probably is something in the 5-7psi range. And that is likely due to the compression ratio of these motors. Slapping a blower on an NA engine is never the ideal way to make a lot of power, but this should satisfy the people that want a little extra direct from the dealer.
Old 08-08-2011, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by HAZ-Matt
Perhaps. Did they say what boost pressure is?

A very rough estimate would be double the power at 14.7psi, so 50% extra at around 8psi... 30% at 5psi. Of course that is generous because it does not count the reduction in air mass from increased temp and reduction in power from reduced timing. Probably is something in the 5-7psi range. And that is likely due to the compression ratio of these motors. Slapping a blower on an NA engine is never the ideal way to make a lot of power, but this should satisfy the people that want a little extra direct from the dealer.
That makes me wonder how effcient the semi-hemi combustion chamber is in the new Hemi motors? As a point of reference, there is a guy claiming elsewhere that he was able to run 11 PSI on a stock Boss 302 (18 psi at the track) on the stock 11:1 compression ratio and this without the benefit of the coyote's piston squirters since the roadrunner (boss engine) generated to much windage with the squirters in place.
Old 08-08-2011, 05:31 PM

What someone can run in their own garage is different than what an OEM will be willing to run on a factory direct bolt on supercharger that keeps the warranty in place. There are LS1 people that have run about that much up to about 15psi for the crazy people. Not saying I would do that personally. Some guys on the V6 board have run up to 25psi on the stock 3800s... but of course they are a bit lower compression.

Lots of variables though... you can allow more boost with efficient intercooling, DI, and messing around with cam specs or cam phasing.
Old 08-08-2011, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by King Moose SS
The Chrysler models already get terrible gas mileage. Adding a blower... single digit MPG's.

rock on dodge, rock on
Fixed
Old 08-08-2011, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by HAZ-Matt
What someone can run in their own garage is different than what an OEM will be willing to run on a factory direct bolt on supercharger that keeps the warranty in place. There are LS1 people that have run about that much up to about 15psi for the crazy people. Not saying I would do that personally. Some guys on the V6 board have run up to 25psi on the stock 3800s... but of course they are a bit lower compression.

Lots of variables though... you can allow more boost with efficient intercooling, DI, and messing around with cam specs or cam phasing.
actually that brings up a good point in terms of whats possible vs what manufacturer is willing to make OEM that has to be under warranty.

Using the LS motors for reference...

The LS7 and LS9 I believe have forged bottom ends to handle the extra power. I dont know about the LS8

I wonder if this is simply an at your own risk or if the bottom end and other drive train components can already handle what this blower can add... Anyone got any idea? With a new car that would be something Id consider.
Old 08-09-2011, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by bossco
That makes me wonder how effcient the semi-hemi combustion chamber is in the new Hemi motors? As a point of reference, there is a guy claiming elsewhere that he was able to run 11 PSI on a stock Boss 302 (18 psi at the track) on the stock 11:1 compression ratio and this without the benefit of the coyote's piston squirters since the roadrunner (boss engine) generated to much windage with the squirters in place.
I doubt it's a question of efficiency, and more a question of warranty.

This sounds like something that if Chrysler dealers install, there's going to be some type of warranty on it. Anyone with a good tool set and a free afternoon should not only be able to install one of these blowers, but also swap out the pulley (did it on my 1st SC) and increase boost dramatically.

My question was more along with the thought that "Wow, Chrysler set the boost pretty low".

The old supercharged Mustang Cobras had their large blowers set very low, but the engines were fully capable of handling much higher boost and over 800hp.

Originally Posted by matLT1
Fixed
The Chrysler 300 with the Pentastar V6 that has 300hp gets 27/18 mpg.
Cadillac's CTS with a V6 that has the similar horsepower gets the exact same 27/18 fuel economy.

That big Hemi powered 300C is rated 25/16 mpg.
The base model V6 Infinity G37 coupe gets 25/17.

More closely to the Chrysler 300C, the Cadillac DTS with a smaller less powerful 4.6 V8 gets just 23/15.

The 2011 SRT8 Challenger will get 23/14 mpg with 475hp.
The 700 pound lighter Corvette Z06 gets 24/15 with 505.

The new Chrysler 200 with the 280hp V6 still gets 29/19 mpg.
The 252 horse Chevrolet Malibu V6 gets only 26/17.

So.....

can you tell me exactly how does Chrysler models get terrible gas mileage???

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/bymak...MakeList.shtml

Last edited by guionM; 08-09-2011 at 12:37 PM.
Old 08-09-2011, 02:22 PM

New car warranties cover more than just the engines. Driveline and chassis limitations are often more scrutinized than the engine's durability.
Old 08-09-2011, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by guionM
I doubt it's a question of efficiency, and more a question of warranty.
I was really just thinking out loud, wondering where the owners will go with it and what they might be able to do and what the limiting factor might be?

Ford did some really neat work on the coyote (except forgetting about that tall deck variant that can displace 5.8+ liters) and even with its relatively high compression seems to be handling forced induction pretty well.

The hemi seems like it might tolerate a bit more boost as well with its combustion chamber design and canted valve layout.