Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Local dealer advertising not so truthful MPG ratings for Saab 9-3 and Cadillac CTS

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2008, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by DAKMOR
But by how much? My driving style tends to put a much bit more of throttle into slower accelrating vehicles than vehicles that accelerate quicker even if they're int he same category/class/price range. I wouldn't be able to tell mush of a difference between the two unless I took a 72 hour test drive.
It would be impossible for the government to post figures on how much fuel economy each of the millions of drivers in the country would get on each new car on sale in the US. That's up to the individual to guestimate.

The sole purpose of the EPA window sticker is to test each car by the exact same standards under what's considered "average" conditions in urban driving and on freeway driving. In short, it's a standardized measurement unit like inches, feet, quarts and gallons. It's up to you to figure out the size of something in relationship to what you actually need, not the country that adopted the measurement.

The way I drove my manual '97 Z28, I routinely got much higher mileage than another friend who later bought a manual '95. I tended to shift early and get into a higher gear, while he tended to wind his engine a bit longer before shifting. Both cars were identical and got an identical EPA mileage rating. Yet, I got much better than the estimates and he got a bit lower.

Just like the window sticker says your actual mileage depends on how you drive. It's not their responsibility to figure out how you drive.... nor should it be.
Old 07-07-2008, 02:56 PM

It's not BS they're probably using the max hwy mileage listed.

The EPA numbers are listed in big bold black letters but underneath there will be a "range" in small print. If it's listed as say 30 hwy by the EPA it will say something like "actual mileage may vary from 26 to 35 mpg." They're probably just using that "max number" as their "up to.." number. Totally legal but very very wrong!
Old 07-07-2008, 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by centric
This is just another indication that the crack-induced 2008 EPA ratings need to change. People KNOW they can get more than the rated mileage. Kudos to VW for going to an independent rating service.
I consistently kept getting worse mileage than EPA advertised before revisions. Now I can somewhat match it, sometimes, in certain cars.
Old 07-09-2008, 02:35 PM

Some local Ford dealers are doing this also with advertising their cars. I think what gets me is that average consumers will have no idea about this kind of sly advertising. Perfectly legal in stating the max number, but i purposly count the dealerships who use these practices out when car shopping.
Old 07-10-2008, 10:00 AM

I just saw an ad in the newspaper from one of the OTHER cadillac dealers in town that is saying the SRX gets up to 27 mpg when in reality I believe it has a 22mpg highway rating in its best configuration

This time I have a link!

http://display.commercialappeal.com/...d=294112&type=
Old 07-10-2008, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by Threxx
I just saw an ad in the newspaper from one of the OTHER cadillac dealers in town that is saying the SRX gets up to 27 mpg when in reality I believe it has a 22mpg highway rating in its best configuration

This time I have a link!

http://display.commercialappeal.com/...d=294112&type=
Talk about calling the kettle black! Aren't you the same guy who gets 26mpg mostly city out of a vehicle that's rated at 16/21?

https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=612775
Old 07-10-2008, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by Silverado C-10
Talk about calling the kettle black! Aren't you the same guy who gets 26mpg mostly city out of a vehicle that's rated at 16/21?

https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=612775

Surely you aren't serious?

Can you not differentiate between somebody experimenting with their fuel economy while hypermiling and a dealer advertising mileage well above EPA ratings??

The ratings are there for a reason - to give a basis for comparison. Some will get higher, some will get lower. This is exactly my point... if the local Toyota dealer took the mileage that I got out of my 4runner that one tank of gas and started advertising it as the mileage than the 4runner gets, then what? Dealers need to stick to advertising the actual EPA window sticker mileage, not the top of the potential range of highway mileage, otherwise the numbers become meaningless.

Dealers already lie and deceive about so much in terms of $$$... let's hope they don't start doing this crap with mileage too.

"Oh well you CAN get 120 mpg on your commute to work if your house is on the top of a hill and your work is at the bottom of that hill with no lights between. As for going back... just push your car up the hill if you need to maintain that mileage."
Old 07-10-2008, 10:58 AM

They're advertising the max number from the little black print under the big black epa highway number that says "actual mileage may vary from...."

Totally legal. The ad says "up to" not "will get." That doesn't make it right, but I expect others will be following suit as well.
Old 07-10-2008, 11:19 AM

They're advertising the max number from the little black print under the big black epa highway number that says "actual mileage may vary from...."

Totally legal. The ad says "up to" not "will get." That doesn't make it right, but I expect others will be following suit as well.
I never said it was illegal, I said it wasn't right and was misleading. But what else is new with dealerships, right?

So why are you telling me I'm being a hypocrite then when in the end you're agreeing that it's not right of them to advertise like that? Are you telling me it's not right for me to discuss the results of my experiments with hypermiling or do you now understand the difference between a dealer advertising a mileage and me making a post about the results of my experiment? Tell me where it was that I was a hypocrite or said something wrong or were you just looking to get offended because this post was critical of a car dealer - a GM dealer in particular?
Old 07-10-2008, 11:32 AM

I just find it funny that you're knocking someone for advertising "higher than EPA" estimates when you claim it's very achievable with your own vehicle

Screw GM dealers. I've never once bought a new GM vehicle
Old 07-10-2008, 11:49 AM

I just find it funny that you're knocking someone for advertising "higher than EPA" estimates when you claim it's very achievable with your own vehicle

Screw GM dealers. I've never once bought a new GM vehicle
It is very achievable. I don't doubt I could get an SRX to hit 27mpg if I got behind the wheel, shut the A/C off, minimized brake usage, timed lights to where they'd be green before I got to the intersection, etc.

That's a different ball game entirely from EPA ratings though.
Old 07-10-2008, 01:35 PM

http://www.epa.gov/fueleconomy/label.htm

If you look at the link, it gives a range. I guess that is what they are using. Crappy advertising.