Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

a little legal 'strong-arming' from GM???

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2004, 10:51 AM

Re: a little legal 'strong-arming' from GM???

Originally Posted by Doug Harden
One more point......I'm very proud of this.....

http://www.indycamaro.com/IRP/ScottS...eAutograph.jpg

......at least I'm doing what I can......
Is that a picture or did he sign your car like that????

I know this last summer he signed my husbands car (under the hood).

Heck also this last summer we gave him the 73 promo he was missing from his collection & a couple other things, &Earlier this month In return he gave us a 93 promo & gave my husband another shirt after I screwed up the first one lol.
Old 11-17-2004, 11:40 AM

That should be the 35th Anniv. Poster. I got one in the mail a while back.

If I were in Red Planet's position - which I am not - I would certainly take whatever means to keep his career. If I had such a job I think whatever family I had would be pissed I spent so much time at work. It must be really cool to know what he knows... And to not spill that? AT ALL?!

I couldnt do it. I'd lose my job in a heartbeat. As he is an enthusiast - and he knows so much- Think how everyone begs and pleads for even a SHRED of something, and he cant say anything! That'd kill me! I'd want to share the joy around... but he cant. That's gotta be rough.

I hope he doesnt give up on us forever, but perhaps leaving here will make us come to our senses, grow up a little, and realize what's going on.

This marketing "nonsense" is hardcore stuff. I have a friend that works with Gillette. And you can bet he cant even tell me ANYTHING or he'll be nailed to a wall. And that's on Razors for $2.79 at the grocery store.

Now we're talking stepping up to a $50,000.00 car. It's great that we are so enthusiastic - but the law is the law. The internet can have copyrights, and there can be controls. Some say (to the wallet in the car) pity on the looser for being an idiot - but Ignorance is no excuse in the eyes of the law... A crime was done - and it was done with the Intent to cause harm - which makes it worse.

It is simply said that the Ford GT is a supercar. It goes, it stops, it sucks gas, it has no trunk. For the price it's an incredible machine. I would own one if I could. And it's just freaking beautiful...(and the original was made out of spite, which is even better!)

But to think that the next Z06 might be just about on par with the Ford GT - with probably nearly the same weight (or slightly less?), the same power (slightly less), slightly better gas milage (hopefully), an incredible noise from that monsterously beautiful engine, and that it would actually have some sort of trunk? For less then half the price, where the GT is already a Supercar- to think the Z06 might fit into the bottom of the supercar league at under $65,000 is nothing short of a fairy tale. A fairy tale that is nearly coming true...

If I were building something like that - I'd be secretive about it too.

I'm gonna go edit my sig...

Last edited by Geoff Chadwick; 11-17-2004 at 11:45 AM.
Old 11-17-2004, 11:58 AM

Oh yea I got one of those but didnt have him sign it (well I have two) I also forgot to make sure the Bc4 poster I got, got signed by him, But there is always next year hopefully when he is out in this area.

Hes already put our show on his list but he doesnt know what hes doing or where hes going.
Old 11-17-2004, 12:01 PM

I’ve been reading all the posts but I’ve finally decided to post a reply. Honestly when I saw the picture, I believed it to be a PS. I didn’t expect the picture to be leaked even though I’ve seen it happen every once in a while. The C6 was no different as the image was shown a week or two before intro and nothing was done about it by GM. OBVIOUSLY GM was upset but the fact remains that GM gives access to the media to allow them more time to co-ordinate their magazines for launch. GM and the media outlet has an arrangement and both parties must abide by it.. It would not be fair to publish such an important picture which is still property of GM regardless of whether it was posted on the internet. This is a situation of biting the hand that feeds you.

As for RP, I am not jumping to any conclusions about him leaving but if it were the case I FIRMLY stand behind him 100% with his reasoning. It is very easy in corporations to be blamed for mistakes and no one would want to be a victim of GM’s wrath. RP has never said anything that will jeopardize his job because as it is mentioned here before he has worked too hard to get where he has. The struggles within the walls of GM are incredible. RP also visits this site because he is a genuine car-guy and when I met him I was so truly honored. I got his autograph but more than that I got to meet a unique individual who really cares about his baby, the Camaro and it’s supporters.

Those that think it is ok to post the picture can believe just that but GM feels it lost some momentum with the pic leaking and they have a right to believe that the pic is the cause. Personally if I had a picture I wouldn’t post it because of simple respect of an agreement that GM let me see a pic before release and I wouldn’t mess with that. Snapping the C6 on the trailer in public is fair game.. taking pics of it on public roads under cammo is fair game BUT if something is given in confidence then the person should tread carefully.

As for the watermark on the pics. Perhaps it isn’t a bad idea to have a strip on the bottom of EVERY pic with a note “Release date: ** Jan. 2006” etc. I’m sure magazine editors etc. have the capability to just crop that out at print. This would eliminate the “I didn’t know it was a real pic” which is legitimate but at least it stops the spread to sites that honor embargoed material.
Old 11-17-2004, 12:15 PM

RP was the only reason I had faith in a new Camaro. Every time someone throw's us a bone with insider info, it's obsolete in 2 months.

Great. I have no more faith - there it is.

Last edited by Chuck!; 11-17-2004 at 12:20 PM.
Old 11-17-2004, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by Red Planet
this is a very competitive business. If GM wanted pictures out there, they would have put 'em out there. Quite frankly, it concerns me greatly as to how much information...and DIS-information is out there.....

I guess my advice to anyone posting links is this: How would you feel if someone posted your credit card number? Would you NOT be infuriated if someone else posted that link on their site? Look....don't use righteous indignation when you're caught. You KNOW the pics were not meant to be out in the public domain.....

That's it...I'm done. It's been great.

Way to dumb-down the message down for those who may not understand the severity of whats going here.

I hope you dont choose to stay gone for long, but if you do, I'm one f-bod owner who wont lose the e-faith. Thanks for being here Scott.
Old 11-17-2004, 12:22 PM
Admin Emeritus

Originally Posted by Chuck!
GM's pissed
Yes, but this is nothing new for them.

RP's gone
He is? Maybe he is just going to be quiet.

Zeta or Beta
Which one is better? Which one is worse?

Too big or too small
Just right.

Chevelle or Camaro
May not even be an issue any longer. At least not as much of one.

Faith is gone.
That's too bad. Sell your car and buy a Ford. I myself will continue to enjoy my current Camaro and I hope to see a new Camaro right around the time my current one is paid off.
Old 11-17-2004, 12:28 PM

Amen...

I'm hoping to see a new Camaro right around the time the Grand Prix is paid off. I'll probably have to wait a year, but hey, that gives me a year to get a down payment ready. The '97 for shows, the Grand Prix for daily duty, and a 5th gen to toy around with...life will be good, I hope
Old 11-17-2004, 12:33 PM

I like this line right here.

Originally Posted by JasonD
I myself will continue to enjoy my current Camaro and I hope to see a new Camaro right around the time my current one is paid off.
Old 11-17-2004, 12:39 PM

Exclamation Re: a little legal 'strong-arming' from GM???

Originally Posted by Chuck!
Great. I have no more faith - there it is.

If Scott's hiatus (Hiatus??? Did I just write hiatus? ) from the board is all it took for you to lose your faith, I'd venture out to say that you didn't have it to begin with.

TS
Old 11-17-2004, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by JasonD
May not even be an issue any longer. At least not as much of one.

Care to elaborate?
Old 11-17-2004, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by Z284ever
Care to elaborate?
who said we had to have one or the other?
Old 11-17-2004, 12:49 PM

I know that as far as we know RED has left the board of his own free will, but previous posts on here had implied that he took great risk even posting here at all. Hence my post about RED taking ANY heat, if even a little for doing so (even with the whole Z06 picture thing). My post was about the treatment of enthusiasts and employees that were doing nothing wrong. Go ahead and come down hard on the source of the leak, but give everyone else a break.

Sure GM is within its rights to do what they are doing, nobody disputes that. GM can force this board to stop using the Camaro and Z28 names too, but they don't. Just like in that case, I expect GM to know who is on it's side and who isn't. It really shouldn't be a surprise to anyone paying attention that those pictures would end up here and other sites.
Old 11-17-2004, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by number77
who said we had to have one or the other?
We are much more certain about the zeta coupe than the 5th gen, so while one is extremely likely, the other one is still more up in the air.
Old 11-17-2004, 01:33 PM

"Believe none of what you read and half of what you see."

Someone important on this board said that once, now Im getting blasted for using that philosophy.

There are five things in life I'll be loyal to until I die:

1. My family
2. My future wife
3. The Cleveland Browns
4. The Dayton Flyers
5. General Motors products

Quick Reply: a little legal 'strong-arming' from GM???