Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Lincoln Mercury reorganized yet again

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2003, 09:34 AM

Lincoln Mercury reorganized yet again

From being a part of Premium Automotive Group with Volvo, Aston Martin, Jaguar, and Land Rover out here in Orange County, to being a separate brand within Ford North America, to now being adsorbed into Ford itself, loosing it's own designated designers. Ford continues to drive Lincoln Mercury (especially Lincoln) into the ground when compared to what GM's doing with Cadillac.

"In March 2002, the grand vision painted by engineers was that by mid-decade, the first in a series of new rear-wheel Lincoln cars would bow to compete with the likes of Mercedes-Benz and BMW. "

" At last month's New York auto show, executives said Lincoln would receive a new rwd sedan and two all-wheel-drive vehicles: a sport wagon and a sedan. But the first of the new vehicles isn't expected to bow until around 2006. At least one awd vehicle will be developed off the Mazda6 platform, which also will be used for several new Fords and at least one new Mercury. The rwd Lincoln sedan is expected to evolve from the next-generation DEW platform. "

http://www.autoweek.com/cat_content...._code=03553585
Old 05-08-2003, 12:32 AM

The worse thing that ever happened to Lincoln was Ford's purchase of Jag.

The plan for Lincoln was to move upscale from a mere Cadillac competitor....to an international BMW fighter.

Now Lincoln will compete with Buick in North America.
Old 05-08-2003, 02:58 AM
cmc

Ugh. What are these idiots smoking? They were going in EXACTLY the right direction with the navigator. Some reviewer went so far as to say it had the most beautiful interior of any car ever (I might be inclined to agree...). They have the image and the styling direction (did J Mays do it? if so it's the only thing he's done right so far) to pull it off.
Old 05-08-2003, 08:29 AM

Originally posted by cmc
Ugh. What are these idiots smoking? They were going in EXACTLY the right direction with the navigator. Some reviewer went so far as to say it had the most beautiful interior of any car ever (I might be inclined to agree...). They have the image and the styling direction (did J Mays do it? if so it's the only thing he's done right so far) to pull it off.
Co-worker has a new Navigator. I think it's interior is perhaps the best ever made.
Old 05-08-2003, 09:12 AM

I still say Mercury needs to becoem Ford's ecitement division ala Pontiac...

I can see the commercials now...

"Ride on the Wings of Mercury"
Old 05-08-2003, 09:19 AM

I think the first thing they need to lose the goofy, cheesey logo... never like that circle and stripe thing.

They should bring back something with the Mercury head or something actually related the term Mercury (not a themometer though! )

(Wow... and this coming from a non-retro guy. )
Old 05-08-2003, 09:31 AM

Originally posted by Darth Xed
I think the first thing they need to lose the goofy, cheesey logo... never like that circle and stripe thing.

They should bring back something with the Mercury head or something actually related the term Mercury (not a themometer though! )

(Wow... and this coming from a non-retro guy. )
The three lines that make an M are supposed to be highways,,,it still looks like crap....
Old 05-08-2003, 09:40 AM

Originally posted by formula79
The three lines that make an M are supposed to be highways,,,it still looks like crap....
LOL. I never knew that before.

But, ya, it is not that appealing of a logo, IMO.

I really think they could do something pretty cool too, something like the Golden Era Flash from the comic books (like they used to have) A profile silhouette of the god of speed (I think that's what he is the god of anyway), Mercury.

Something along the lines of this:

http://www.relicsandrods.com/images/Logo-Merc.gif
Old 05-08-2003, 01:39 PM

For starters, they actually need to make cars that perform, and not just look the part!

Maurader looked good, and I've seen enough versions of the Cougar to know there was alot Ford could still have done to keep them fresh!

Buy when Grand Prix GTPs or Taurus SHOs simply outrun you, you can really be called an excitement division.