Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Lexus no longer Number 1 on JD Power

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 02:34 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Threxx
That sentence needs more detail/qualification. As long as you can rely on it to what? Get you to your destination without a break down? That's a very low bar of expectations in this day and age and possibly by you don't seem to find as much fault with some of the garbage GM has put out in the 80s, 90s, and 00s as most others do.

Let me complete that sentence for myself...

I would like to be able to rely on my car to provide me with all of the creature comforts and capabilities that I paid tens of thousands of dollars for without necessitating multiple headache inducing trips to the dealership to keep them functional. I rely on my car to perform in all ways just as it did from the showroom floor, especially in the first few years of ownership. If my stereo stops working, I obviously can't rely on it to work, can I? My 335i's vapor shield in the driver's side door was improperly seated and let water leak inside my driver's side footwell during a storm. I made it home just fine but I wasn't able to rely on my car to stay dry during a storm. These are all reasonable expectations that I rely on from a new car and when they fail me, the car has become unreliable. No I'm not going to be as frustrated by a leak in my door as I would be by the engine blowing up on me, but they're just different degrees of unreliability.
You gotta give it up.
Old 03-20-2009, 04:02 PM

I'm sorry but some of you people are amazingly dense.

Let me describe this to you with this example.

You sit in Lexus LS460s number 1 through 10 and experience essentially the same level of wind noise in all of them. Then you sit in number 11 and experience 5 times that amount of wind noise and the large majority of it is coming from the passenger side rear door. You then take number 11 to the dealership and have them replace one of the window seals which was probably either improperly installed at the factory, improperly shaped, or the rubber degraded.

That is excessive wind noise as defined in the context of JD Power's reliability survey.

Getting in Lexus LS460 #1 and saying it has too much wind noise and then driving 2 through 10 and finding that they all have that same amount of wind noise would be a pretty solid indicator that nothing on the car failed, it's just a design that doesn't meet your standards. That would NOT be a reliability (or to Jake Robb, a quality) issue.

Jake Robb, on the other hand, could have his brand new Chevrolet's HVAC system fail, radio break, dash lights constantly flickering, tachometer stops working, seat heaters and lumbar stop working, leather on the seats tear at the seams to expose foam, and glove box can't stay latched shut, but he'd still call the car reliable.

Whats amazing is your the dense one.

If my window falls into the door we both can agree it fell into the door and the window is no longer reliable. As a matter of fact I am willing to bet that ANY two people off the street will agree that the window is no longer reliable.

Rather than stick the same person in 10 different cars, stick 10 different people in the same car. I guarantee that a certain number will say, "What wind noise?" While others will say, "OMG its so noisey in here."

That is why it makes it a BS reliability issue because it is something that is going to based on an individual's OPINION. If the radio stops working or the tranny or the motor then there is no arguing it. How do we know they weren't driving on a real windy day? Down in a valley? Its the type of situation that will have WAY too many variables. Maybe he/she put their hand on the top of the door getting their fat @$$ in the car and disrupted the seal.

Last edited by super83Z; 03-20-2009 at 04:04 PM.
Old 03-20-2009, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by super83Z
Whats amazing is your the dense one.
My the dense one?

If my window falls into the door we both can agree it fell into the door and the window is no longer reliable. As a matter of fact I am willing to bet that ANY two people off the street will agree that the window is no longer reliable.

Rather than stick the same person in 10 different cars, stick 10 different people in the same car. I guarantee that a certain number will say, "What wind noise?" While others will say, "OMG its so noisey in here."

That is why it makes it a BS reliability issue because it is something that is going to based on an individual's OPINION. If the radio stops working or the tranny or the motor then there is no arguing it. How do we know they weren't driving on a real windy day? Down in a valley? Its the type of situation that will have WAY too many variables. Maybe he/she put their hand on the top of the door getting their fat @$$ in the car and disrupted the seal.
I already addressed the potential for a survey taker to mistakenly identify normal wind noise as excessive in one of my later posts. That doesn't mean that a truly defective door seal isn't a valid complaint for a reliability survey, it just addresses the potential for flaws in the survey in general, which is why as another poster mentioned, you need to make sure your survey is of a truly large sample of the population so that you smooth out those irregularities equally among all models.
Old 03-20-2009, 04:23 PM

My the dense one?

I already addressed the potential for a survey taker to mistakenly identify normal wind noise as excessive in one of my later posts. That doesn't mean that a truly defective door seal isn't a valid complaint for a reliability survey, it just addresses the potential for flaws in the survey in general, which is why as another poster mentioned, you need to make sure your survey is of a truly large sample of the population so that you smooth out those irregularities equally among all models.

So in order to appear not dense, you said both sides of the argument yet still disagree with a point you presented.
Old 03-20-2009, 04:29 PM

Sure are a lot of folks on a mostly GM site defending Lexus...

Bottom line is every car was put to the same test. Lexus got beat in an aspect that people cared about. Period.

Who knows....maybe "excssive wind noise" is what prevented other brands from moving up the last few years.
Old 03-20-2009, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by super83Z
So in order to appear not dense, you said both sides of the argument yet still disagree with a point you presented.
It's possible if not preferable to understand and present the entire case in an argument and still logically conclude that one position of many is the most ideal.

In this case I'm agreeing that there's room for error in this survey, but that's not reason enough to exclude excessive wind noise as a problem area in a car as it is, when properly diagnosed, a real reliability issue.
Old 03-20-2009, 09:44 PM
Super Moderator

To be honest, I don't care what counts as a reliability issue vs. what doesn't. I know how I feel about it, and I've been clear about that.

The original point I was trying to make was that most people, when they see the results of a "reliability survey," aren't going to immediately assume that the top nameplates on that survey were low on wind noise. To paraphrase one of my favorite movies:

"You keep on using those survey results. I do not think they mean what you think they mean."
Old 03-20-2009, 11:17 PM
Banned

Flawed survey or not...Buick won. Bottom line. Can we cut the **** now?
Old 03-21-2009, 06:10 AM

I like how MSN.com reported it. The title was "Move over Lexus there is a new number one"

Then it talked about how a British Luxury carmaker took the number one spot. Then they mention something about tying with Buick and then called them both new upstarts to the survey.
Old 03-21-2009, 08:21 AM

The new VDS for 2009

For comparison... here's the 2008 VDS
Old 03-21-2009, 08:32 AM

Unfortunately Buick and Jaguar's lineups were both mostly in the stone age in 2006, which helps reliability out quite a bit since they've had plenty of time to work out all of the kinks in their designs.

Jaguar I already know is going to be slipping substantially with their newest cars like the XK and XF. And it's almost inevitable that Buick will as well... though by how much is the question.
Old 03-22-2009, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by JakeRobb
To be honest, I don't care what counts as a reliability issue vs. what doesn't. I know how I feel about it, and I've been clear about that.

The original point I was trying to make was that most people, when they see the results of a "reliability survey," aren't going to immediately assume that the top nameplates on that survey were low on wind noise. To paraphrase one of my favorite movies:

"You keep on using those survey results. I do not think they mean what you think they mean."
People like you can't be objective in this kind of discussion. You're too emotionally invested. If we went off of your standard for reliability, you should have a bicycle or a horse.
Old 03-22-2009, 12:02 PM

JD Power is in this business to make money, not provide a public service. They run surveys to determine what customers are think and are experiencing with their cars. They then publish the results to the media. Later, they offer to sell detailed results information to the automakers so they can use it to "improve their scores."

Whether or not wind noise is an actual defect, people are hearing it and don't like it.

By the way, wind noise seems to be a complaint generator when there is one area of the vehicle that is "louder" than the ambient noise experienced when driving. This could be a mirror, or around the a-pillar, for example. So the owner of a Lexus might complain about some noise around a mirror that is clearly audible over the ambient cabin noise, while the owner of a soft top Jeep wrangler might not complain about wind noise if nothing stands out, even though the ambient noise level is much higher. In either case, the vehicle need not to have a "defective" component.... they could "all be like that." What matters is that people complain.
Old 03-22-2009, 03:08 PM

I don't understand what sort of scope you are defining "reliability" with. Are you going to tell me if it doesn't affect your ability to get from point A to point B then it's not a reliability issue?

To me, if the manufacturer designs a car with "X" requirement for wind noise levels, and a window seal that goes bad causes 5 times "X" wind noise to occur, then the window seal failed to reliably perform its intended function.
Exactly. Tell someone with a water leak that it is not a reliability issue. Car is rank as hell on the inside and everythng is soaked, but hey it drove fine and is a reliable car.

wind noises can be a total nightmare to deal with.
Old 03-22-2009, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by 2MCHPSI
Exactly. Tell someone with a water leak that it is not a reliability issue. Car is rank as hell on the inside and everythng is soaked, but hey it drove fine and is a reliable car.

wind noises can be a total nightmare to deal with.
It's a bit like having a work colleague who gets the job done but has a belching problem. Do you say that person is unreliable?

Dictionary.com: reliable adjective that may be relied on; dependable in achievement, accuracy, honesty.

I would have thought that "wind noise" is a noun and not an adjective.

Being pedantic.

Quick Reply: Lexus no longer Number 1 on JD Power