Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Lexus IS350: The 300+ Horsepower 3-Series Beater!

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2005, 03:17 PM
Banned

Re: Lexus IS350: The 300+ Horsepower 3-Series Beater!

Originally Posted by Darth Xed
I would agree with all that except the back handed "fixed income" statement.

It's no secret that Buick has one of the oldest, if not the oldest average buyer in the business right now.

But saying they are on a "fixed income" is nonsense. If this were the case, they'd either be buying a cheaper car than a Buick, or buying a used car... everyone, no matter how much or how little they make, needs to live within their means.
Lexus is a successful luxury brand, Buick is a fading mass-market brand with very substantial fleet sales. I mean seriously, Buick sales peaked in the 1984 model year.

In the decade and a half since its launch, the Lexus brand has established itself as the equal to Mercedes and BMW in prestige. A Lexus is a symbol of success much like Rolex watch. A Buick is more of a Timex.

Anyone would be proud to own a Rolex, but while there's no shame in owning a Timex, there's no reason to be proud either.
Old 02-22-2005, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by redzed
Lexus is a successful luxury brand, Buick is a fading mass-market brand with very substantial fleet sales. I mean seriously, Buick sales peaked in the 1984 model year.

In the decade and a half since its launch, the Lexus brand has established itself as the equal to Mercedes and BMW in prestige. A Lexus is a symbol of success much like Rolex watch. A Buick is more of a Timex.

Anyone would be proud to own a Rolex, but while there's no shame in owning a Timex, there's no reason to be proud either.

I agree with the general premise of what you are saying... however, that doesn't mean that the typical Buick buyer is on a "fixed income"..

I'd also argue your statement of Lexus being the equal of BMW and/or Mercedes as far as the prestige factor goes.
Old 02-22-2005, 03:39 PM
Banned

I agree with the general premise of what you are saying... however, that doesn't mean that the typical Buick buyer is on a "fixed income"..
I think you're having a hard time accepting that Buick is no more of a "prestige" brand than any of the Korean makes.

I'd also argue your statement of Lexus being the equal of BMW and/or Mercedes as far as the prestige factor goes.
If you were talking about European markets where Lexus is a relative newcomer as a standalone luxury brand, I'd say you'd have an arguement, but in the United States the Lexus brand is strong and growing stronger.
Old 02-22-2005, 03:44 PM

I'd say the Lexus customer base could be described as "middle-aged and affluent" whereas the target Buick buyer is "elderly and on a fixed income."
Age bracket? Yes. Expectations in styling...pretty much the same.
Old 02-22-2005, 03:55 PM

I think you're having a hard time accepting that Buick is no more of a "prestige" brand than any of the Korean makes.
Again, in typical fashion, you dance around the point at hand.

I am not saying that Buick is on the same level as Lexus... not even by a long shot, though I think it is a doable thing over time...

Again, the point is... saying Buick buyers are typically on "fixed income" is a baseless and ignorant statement. This has nothing to do with any level of prestige that a car line may or may not have.

If you were talking about European markets where Lexus is a relative newcomer as a standalone luxury brand, I'd say you'd have an arguement, but in the United States the Lexus brand is strong and growing stronger.
The way I see it, BMW and Mercedes are on top of the prestige heap... Cadillac is on the next rung by themselves (rung 1 1/2 if you will)...and moving up fast. Lexus and Acura and Infiniti are on the next rung down.
Old 02-22-2005, 04:22 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 1fastdog
Age bracket? Yes. Expectations in styling...pretty much the same.
I somehow doubt that potential Lexus buyers are looking for styling that features fake "portholes."

A Buick is a rental cars, a Lexus is a luxury car.
Old 02-22-2005, 04:35 PM
Banned

Again, in typical fashion, you dance around the point at hand.

I am not saying that Buick is on the same level as Lexus... not even by a long shot, though I think it is a doable thing over time...
I'd say Buick's fate is to become the next Oldsmobile.

Again, the point is... saying Buick buyers are typically on "fixed income" is a baseless and ignorant statement. This has nothing to do with any level of prestige that a car line may or may not have.
I see plenty of senior citizens of modest means driving new Buicks, but I don't see many people matching that description driving a new Lexus.

The way I see it, BMW and Mercedes are on top of the prestige heap... Cadillac is on the next rung by themselves (rung 1 1/2 if you will)...and moving up fast. Lexus and Acura and Infiniti are on the next rung down.
I surprised you didn't put Pontiac right up there with BMW
Old 02-22-2005, 04:46 PM

2. Every modern car that requires premium fuel also has a knock sensor, so if you put "regular" in the tank, you wouldn't have to worry about doing any damage - only decreased performance and fuel economy.
Well, try riding a car with CR 11.0:1 on a hot day in bumper to bumper traffic that is filled up with 87 octane gas. No, performance is not the only thing you will sacrifice - extended use will put excessive wear and tear on the engine, and you can most certainly do damage. If everything was as simple as the knock sensor, there would be no need to remind customers to put premium fuel.

The BMW E90 330i will have roughly 255 horsepower. The Lexus IS350 will have somewhere near 315 horsepower. Enough said.
The thing with BMWs is that they run 1/4 mi much better than one would expect based on the HP numbers alone. Even current 225HP 330 series runs in low 14's - they somehow perform quicker than they ought to. I would not be surprised at all if these cars were very close, within .2 seconds of each other.
Old 02-22-2005, 04:49 PM

My point is that BMW can't touch Lexus when it comes to reliability, which was never very important because cars like the IS300 didn't have any performance credibility. Compared to the outgoing E46 3-series, the Lexus IS300 always felt undersized, dull and underpowered. (The IS300's lack of acceleration was strange because there shouldn't have been much difference between the 215 horsepower Lexus and a 225 horsepower BMW 330i. For some reason, BMW always manages to get the most out of fairly modest stated outputs.)

The IS350 is product that can potential put Lexus on an equal footing with BMW in the near-luxury market. Assuming that the IS350 can combine IS300 pricing levels (low $30Ks) with Infiniti G35 levels of spaciousness and can retain traditional Lexus levels of refinement, this could easily be the best car in the 3-series segment.
Well, as long as Lexus will offer two models (250 and 350), I don't think it will be 30K. For the base IS250 one, yes, maybe even a little under, but for the IS350 - I expect it to be in mid 30's to upper 30's.

I never thought current 215HP IS300 to be underpowered, it is a rather quick car that can do 1/4 mi in 15 flat, but I was always amazed by BMWs and their mid to low 14s.
Old 02-22-2005, 04:56 PM

For once, I completely agree with RedZed....all this does is show even more that GM's horrendous V6 family is terribley out-dated against the competition. Where is GM's 300 HP V6? Do they even have on close to that yet? Much less planned on being in a production car? Thank god they have the godly V8's to fall back on, now if they could just advertise them more...
Old 02-22-2005, 05:06 PM

I somehow doubt that potential Lexus buyers are looking for styling that features fake "portholes."

A Buick is a rental cars, a Lexus is a luxury car.
Portholes? No probably not. What they do not look for is standout styling. Lexus are primarily nondescript on the exterior. The buyer's consider this a plus, not a negative.

When Lexus has gone for something further reaching it has been, to me, a bit strange, and glued together looking, Absolutely Asian. It may appeal to some. Me it leaves cold.

The predominant styling they have now is Camry meets 80's Mercedes. It's working for them. Not the sort of stuff that got BMW into the position of the market place they hold at this point.

Lexus needs to win some races if they intend to kick BMW around. There's more than luxury driving buyers in this segment.

YMMV.

Last edited by 1fastdog; 02-22-2005 at 07:48 PM.
Old 02-22-2005, 05:43 PM

Thats odd...I really like the styling of all these new Lexus's. I don't see anything boring about them, especially compared to the competition (coughcough=mercedescough)
Old 02-22-2005, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by Meccadeth
Thats odd...I really like the styling of all these new Lexus's. I don't see anything boring about them, especially compared to the competition (coughcough=mercedescough)
Old 02-23-2005, 08:54 AM

We're talking about a $30K Lexus and the 400hp CTS-V cost well over $50K(!) and has the crudest drivetrain in the luxury segment.
Since when is $51K well over $50K?????? find me a $30,000 300HP Lexus.... guess what you can't. the 300HP version will cost over $40K. Do you even research anything before you post?

If you can't afford premium fuel, you probably can't afford a Lexus. Go to a Chevy dealer and buy a Daewoo-built Aveo.
I don't know if you realize this but the Chevy Camaro uses premium too. You are comparing apples to oranges. Caddy puts out XXX on 87 Lexus XXX on 93, now what happens when you put 87 in that Lexus, all of a sudden it doesn’t perform as well as the 3.6L Caddy V6.

Japanese companies have been using kind of a bate and switch marketing scam with there engines. Notice how they have all jumped up in HP in just the last few years, but they all require premium to run at that advertised HP. Nissan Titan requires 91+ for its DOHC 5.6L to make its 305HP, while Chevy’s 5.3L makes 310HP on 87 all with less displacement and half the valves.

Your Honda S2000 example should how little you know about where the industry is going. Honda is moving away from 8000rpm screamers and towards turbocharging. The S2000's engine is derived from unit that was found in the long dead Honda Prelude, the S2000 is its sole application and the S2000 is going bye-bye before too long.
...and you want to talk about vapor-ware
Old 02-23-2005, 10:42 AM

This premium fuel argument is absurd. My little turd of a 7 year old Ford takes premium fuel. So what; instead of costing me $23 to fill up, it costs $25. As long as I can get it at the pump, I don't really care what octane fuel my car takes. Some of the statements on here are really making me laugh.

I don't know if you realize this but the Chevy Camaro uses premium too. You are comparing apples to oranges. Caddy puts out XXX on 87 Lexus XXX on 93, now what happens when you put 87 in that Lexus, all of a sudden it doesn’t perform as well as the 3.6L Caddy V6.
C'mon. There's not a chance in an icey cold hell that a 315 hp Lexus engine would drop that drastically, not even close. What does the Caddy put out? 250? 260? Are you suggesting that the Lexus would drop 20% of its power due soley to reliance on premium, which as has been said, is defined as 91+, not necessarily 93?

And in reference to the comment about the CTSv's drivetrain ~ The T56 is a rude, rough, sloppy transmission for a Camaro, let alone a $50k Caddy. Drive a Viper and you'll wonder if the thing actually has syncros The upside to it is cost. It's a cheap transmission. Both in initial production and any subsequent maintenance or replacement. Talk to anyone w/ a 6spd C4 Vette and you'll see what I mean.

Quick Reply: Lexus IS350: The 300+ Horsepower 3-Series Beater!