Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Lexus IS350: The 300+ Horsepower 3-Series Beater!

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2005, 12:25 PM
Banned

Lexus IS350: The 300+ Horsepower 3-Series Beater!

That's right, the Lexus IS350 is going to have at least 300 horsepower. It should now be apparent that the Infiniti upgraded G35's will at least be competitive at 298 horsepower in the manual version (280hp with an auto) but the 3.6 liter Cadillac CTS has been outgunned by at least 45 horsepower.

Why is GM's relatively new "High Feature" V6 already looking dated?

I think the answer is that GM Powertrain has spread its engineering resources too thin over too many variants of too many engine familes. Instead of producing a single family of DOHC V6 engines that would span every product from light trucks to luxury cars, GM has wasted time and money on projects like the pushrod "High Value" V6s and the Vortec Inline family of truck engine. Instead of simplifying its engine range, GM actually seems to be creating more engine variants while retaining the old ones as well.
Old 02-19-2005, 12:45 PM

Re: Lexus IS350: The 300+ Horsepower 3-Series Beater!

How did I know this would be another chance to dig GM?

Originally Posted by redzed
I think the answer is that GM Powertrain has spread its engineering resources too thin over too many variants of too many engine familes. Instead of producing a single family of DOHC V6 engines that would span every product from light trucks to luxury cars
And if they did, you'd be saying "why does a Cadillac share an engine with a Chevy Colorado?" "Parts bin stuff cheapens a luxury car!" "Nissan transmissions are bullet proof!"
Old 02-19-2005, 12:50 PM

Ya know , you actually said something I can kinda agree . I don't exactly feel like discussing it , but I do think GM's vvt 3.6 should have been like to cars now , like the good ol faithful 3.8 has been to the past . I driven a few cars with the 3.6 in it and its a great engine , and the SRX neways , felt much more powerful than 255 hp .
Old 02-19-2005, 01:34 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 90 Z28SS
Ya know , you actually said something I can kinda agree . I don't exactly feel like discussing it , but I do think GM's vvt 3.6 should have been like to cars now , like the good ol faithful 3.8 has been to the past.
I'd argue that the 3.6 liter DOHC (or a far superior engine) should have been used even more widely than the Buick 3800.
Old 02-20-2005, 12:44 AM

The 3.6 still has a very low compression ratio, to use regular gas. Im sure there is plenty of hp left in that 3.6. 300hp is just a few points of compression away.
Old 02-20-2005, 01:03 AM

The IS300 is horribly overrated. They need to improve more than just the engine on the IS350.

edit - I still wouldnt mind seeing the IS430 become a reality though.
Old 02-20-2005, 01:18 AM

IS is also very small compared to the CTS, G35, and 3 series.
Old 02-20-2005, 08:22 AM

Mag pics
http://euro.lexusownersclub.com/foru...1108229085.jpg
http://euro.lexusownersclub.com/foru...1108229100.jpg

According to that mag, the IS250's engine will be a 215hp 2.5L v6. The IS350 will have a 315hp 3.5L v6, and the euro markets will get a 2.2L direct-injection turbo diesel option.

315 horses is pretty good for a 3.5L v6.
Old 02-20-2005, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by Big Als Z
The 3.6 still has a very low compression ratio, to use regular gas. Im sure there is plenty of hp left in that 3.6. 300hp is just a few points of compression away.
I wouldn't say it's "low" compression with a static ratio of 10.2:1, but you're correct that tuning it to run on regular gas accounts for some of the difference compared to its competitors. And yes, the 3.6 is supposed to be getting some more ponies next year.
Old 02-20-2005, 10:00 AM

Look at that. Lexus managed to make it even more bland than the previous year. Amazing.
Old 02-20-2005, 10:56 PM

That's right, the Lexus IS350 is going to have at least 300 horsepower. It should now be apparent that the Infiniti upgraded G35's will at least be competitive at 298 horsepower in the manual version (280hp with an auto) but the 3.6 liter Cadillac CTS has been outgunned by at least 45 horsepower.

I think the answer is that GM Powertrain has spread its engineering resources too thin over too many variants of too many engine familes. Instead of producing a single family of DOHC V6 engines that would span every product from light trucks to luxury cars, GM has wasted time and money on projects like the pushrod "High Value" V6s and the Vortec Inline family of truck engine. Instead of simplifying its engine range, GM actually seems to be creating more engine variants while retaining the old ones as well.
1) only 300HP for the top of the line car???? CTS has 400HP
2) 3.6L runs on 87 octane, not the more expensive 91-93 like the other cars.
3) who says GM won't release a higher tuned 3.6L or make a DOHC 3.8L?
4) Inline engines are better for low end torque, trucks need torque. 4.2L is rated by many as one of the best 6 cyls ever made.
5) High value V6 cost $800 less to build then DOHC V6s. 98% of the public dosn't know what DOHC stands for or how it is different from OHV or SOHC. HV V6s make low displacement DOHCs pointless.
6) Why would I want to buy a expensive luxury car that doesn't even get a better engine than a pickup or a cheap entry level sedan???
Old 02-21-2005, 11:10 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Z28x
1) only 300HP for the top of the line car???? CTS has 400HP
We're talking about a $30K Lexus and the 400hp CTS-V cost well over $50K(!) and has the crudest drivetrain in the luxury segment.

2) 3.6L runs on 87 octane, not the more expensive 91-93 like the other cars.
If you can't afford premium fuel, you probably can't afford a Lexus. Go to a Chevy dealer and buy a Daewoo-built Aveo.

3) who says GM won't release a higher tuned 3.6L or make a DOHC 3.8L?
We're talking about a actual, realLexus that's going on sale this year , not a future "what-if" GM engine that only exists in your mind.

4) Inline engines are better for low end torque, trucks need torque. 4.2L is rated by many as one of the best 6 cyls ever made.
The 4.2 liter Votec Inline 6 is a dead end project that can't fit into a Colorado/Canyon (or passenger cars) and can't fully replace the 4.3 liter V6 in full-sized truck and vans because it's too expensive to produce.

5) High value V6 cost $800 less to build then DOHC V6s. 98% of the public dosn't know what DOHC stands for or how it is different from OHV or SOHC. HV V6s make low displacement DOHCs pointless.
Yeah, but the "High Value" V6 is only fit for rental cars and high-incentive units.

6) Why would I want to buy a expensive luxury car that doesn't even get a better engine than a pickup or a cheap entry level sedan???
I don't know what car you're talking about. Do you know? Probably not.
Old 02-21-2005, 12:16 PM

And the CTS will still outsell the IS350. Your point?
Old 02-21-2005, 01:03 PM

IMO GM relies a lot on displacement for power. the ecotech gets low numbers per displacement compared to competitors.
in toyota's celica u can get a 1.8L with 180 hp, 130 ftlbs (or one with 140 hp, 125 ftlbs)
in the cobalt u get a 2.2L with 145 hp, 155 ftlbs

although looking around at what some others offer GM seems to be pretty much in the middle with the standard power/displacement, so i dont know.
Old 02-21-2005, 02:13 PM

"I love winding my S2000 to 8000rpm to make it move!" Why is it that a S2000 with a tiny little 4 cylinder gets nearly identical miles per gallon compared to a 2004 Z06 corvette? High tech 4 banger vs ancient pushrod motor. There's a reason for that. Also there's something called "tq". The S2000 engine is more complicated, less efficient, more expensive to maintain and buy and produces less power then an LS1 with less then half the displacement. That is nothing to be proud of.

That's right, the Lexus IS350 is going to have at least 300 horsepower. Cadillac CTS has been outgunned by at least 45 horsepower.
No such car exists. The current IS300 has 215HP. I dont see a 100hp jump without a substantial change in additude. It is going to have 300HP? You have ZERO proof of that. Yet you seem to think you do. I think you're a moron and have no idea what you're talking about. And I have proof.

Also you didnt count that GM can make changes to. Funny that...

Originally Posted by Z28Wilson
And if they did, you'd be saying "why does a Cadillac share an engine with a Chevy Colorado?" "Parts bin stuff cheapens a luxury car!" "Nissan transmissions are bullet proof!"
Yes Redzed would. He would also miss the fact that the 350Z is a bloated heavy car and that the G35 is the same chassis as a Nissan Sedan. It's okay when Nissan does it, but if GM does it, it's bad practice. Moron logic at work.

We're talking about a $30K Lexus and the 400hp CTS-V cost well over $50K(!) and has the crudest drivetrain in the luxury segment.
Crudest? That's a matter of Opinion... and you will have a hard time backing that up. The CTS-V's driveline last I knew was doing quite well.

If you can't afford premium fuel, you probably can't afford a Lexus. Go to a Chevy dealer and buy a Daewoo-built Aveo.
Price and Availability, also the need to use it genius. Some areas dont have 93 Octane. Also that adds to the ownership cost of the vehicle. If you're buying a car as a status symbol and have more money then god, sure. But last I checked, running premium fuel still discouraged buyers, hence why a lot of companies still dont make engines that NEED it in the "normal" car segment. In luxury cars it goes into it, but you're going to FORCE the buyer to make a decision. I'd rather not.

We're talking about a actual, realLexus that's going on sale this year , not a future "what-if" GM engine that only exists in your mind.
No you're not. As the Mazda Rx8 proved very well only a few years ago, even 40hp can dissapear in the blink of an eye, even AFTER production has started. This car isnt written in stone at all. Once again, you're claiming something with no proof. None. Squat.

The 4.2 liter Votec Inline 6 is a dead end project that can't fit into a Colorado/Canyon (or passenger cars) and can't fully replace the 4.3 liter V6 in full-sized truck and vans because it's too expensive to produce.
Ha. I wouldnt be so quick to that. Also a lot has been learned from the 4.2L project. It had its reasons, which arent done yet. Once again, spewing crap that holds value, like your currently non-existent IS350.

Yeah, but the "High Value" V6 is only fit for rental cars and high-incentive units.
I tend to see the "high value" engine in a lot of cars, and I also see it getting phased out. Also it's a cheap engine to build and maintain. But that's a bad thing to you. Very bad. We need $100 oil changes on every car. Is that what you want? Well, obviously it is.

Originally Posted by §h@dow Dr@gon
And the CTS will still outsell the IS350. Your point?
Yes it will...

And This IS300 or the future IS350 will have NOTHING on the 3 series. Stop making these stupid threads where you spew crap about some Nissan or Infinity, or Honda or ANYTHING that goes against the 3 series. Nothing will ever de-throne the 3 series. It has 20 years of Heritage behind it. Some new car model has squat - and that says something. Also the styling on the IS350 is quite Bland. You cant say that about the 3 series.

GM's engines may have less HP/Liter, but they have much broader Tq curves and higher Tq numbers. It's a toss up. Quick vs Fast. Both move, but one feels fast, and one doesnt.

And there is still no evidence that Redzed even owns the vehicles he says he does Once again a bitter man (or child) trying to play with things he doesnt fully understand, and saying things that arent true.

EDIT: What, no poll this time?

Last edited by Geoff Chadwick; 02-21-2005 at 02:21 PM.

Quick Reply: Lexus IS350: The 300+ Horsepower 3-Series Beater!