Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Just got back from the 2004 Auto Show and....

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2003, 06:40 AM

Thumbs up Just got back from the 2004 Auto Show and....

....apparently the Solstice got approved a week ago. I was speaking with the main pontiac rep. and she confirmed it. Of course I'm still skeptical but every little bit counts.

Other notes:

-SSR is a NICE ride. Unfortunately its also got a NICE $50K price tag.

-SS concept is one of the nicest looking performance cars Ive ever seen. Unfortunately, to build the exact concept is something like $90K.

-At first I didnt like the idea of the G6 but now that I've seen one they look pretty sharp.

-GTO is smaller in person then I was picturing. In between a grand am and a grand prix. Crying for better rims too.

-Why wasnt the Ford 49 put out instead of the T-Bird????
Old 10-03-2003, 08:19 AM

The Solstice will be a nice addition to Pontiac's lineup. I think the car will sell as long as its priced like a Pontiac, ie not over $30K.

$50K+ for an SSR was that the sticker? They were supposed to MSRP in the $42-44K range. Too hight in my book already. But $50K+ is way too much. Wonder if the dealer markup's have started!

I hear ya about the GTO. I bet Pontiac will have atleast a chrome rim option after the car is out.
Old 10-03-2003, 08:52 AM

2004??

Well that's a lot of dated concepts for an auto show from the future.
Old 10-03-2003, 09:26 AM

Re: 2004??

Originally posted by jrp4uc
Well that's a lot of dated concepts for an auto show from the future.
Its San Antonio. We get sloppy...uh..thirds because Dallas and Houstons are going on the same time.
Old 10-03-2003, 09:29 AM

Re: Re: 2004??

Originally posted by USHotRod
Its San Antonio. We get sloppy...uh..thirds because Dallas and Houstons are going on the same time.
I used to live in Norfolk....I doubt they'd even get to see the SS concept there. Heck, there were times they didn't even have all the cars that were available during that model year! In 2002 there wasn't even a Firebird there!
Old 10-03-2003, 09:50 AM

Re: Re: 2004??

Originally posted by USHotRod
Ok, I didn't realize the 2004 show circuit started this early. I guess that makes sense if they are my2004 cars on display. Anyways, I can relate, Cincinnati never gets much in the way of concepts either. I recall getting the Thunderbird concept after the production version was out. Did get to see the Copperhead one time...

Needless to say, it's worth the trip to Detroit in January.
Old 10-03-2003, 09:50 AM

We in LA usually get "one-off" concept cars a year afterwards, so don't feel bad. You get to see the SS in person a year before the world famous Greater Los Angeles show! We usually get Chrysler and Lincoln debuts and one offs, as well as those from Asia.

You are yet another conversion to what I've been saying all along to everybody, GTO is NOT Monte Carlo sized, it Mustang sized. You comment about it being smaller than expected is becoming pretty standard fare with those as they actually get up close to one and see it. It's shorter and skinner than a Camaro.

I also like the SSR, but I think it would have been better if it's design was incorperated into GM's mid size trucks instead of being a $45,000+ limited edition, convertible hardtop truck. If the Colorado SS looked like a hardtop SSR and priced in the upper 20s, GM probally couldn't make enough of them.

Last edited by guionM; 10-03-2003 at 09:53 AM.
Old 10-03-2003, 09:54 AM

Our local dealer is going to acution off their SSR. Evidently they were supposed to get 3 of them but they're only getting one.
Old 10-03-2003, 10:00 AM

No complaints here with the selection of cars in Detroit with our NAIAS!

guionM, I think the Monaro-GTO is the perfect size for a rwd 2dr sport coupe. I think the 4th gen F-cars size large overall size for a small interior size was one of the cars drawbacks. Its a little hard to sell a nice V6 Camaro to a girl that can't see over the dash and is intimidated by the seating position. Whare the Mustang, and Grand Am, are less intimidating and easier to drive for drivers who don't have all the concentration and skill to pilot the F-body around tight city driving.
Old 10-03-2003, 10:02 AM

Originally posted by guionM
We in LA usually get "one-off" concept cars a year afterwards, so don't feel bad. You get to see the SS in person a year before the world famous Greater Los Angeles show! We usually get Chrysler and Lincoln debuts and one offs, as well as those from Asia.

You are yet another conversion to what I've been saying all along to everybody, GTO is NOT Monte Carlo sized, it Mustang sized. You comment about it being smaller than expected is becoming pretty standard fare with those as they actually get up close to one and see it. It's shorter and skinner than a Camaro.

I also like the SSR, but I think it would have been better if it's design was incorperated into GM's mid size trucks instead of being a $45,000+ limited edition, convertible hardtop truck. If the Colorado SS looked like a hardtop SSR and priced in the upper 20s, GM probally couldn't make enough of them.
Id say the GTO looks more like a 2 door Grand Am then anything else now. Anybody got what the curb weights gonna be?

The SSR suprised me with its size. Its not by any means a small car. Its not quite Pacifica sized but it lifted higher then any other car I know of. Now that Ive seen it, you could prbably get as much use out of its bed as a ranger or S-10. Not bad. If you got $50K burning a hole in your pocket.
Old 10-03-2003, 12:28 PM

The GTO's curb weight is expected to be in the 3600 lb range. Like the Monaro CV8.

The SSR rides on a Trailblazer frame and is a legit truck, so its not by any means a retro roadster.
Old 10-03-2003, 12:35 PM

In New Orleans we get a dealers show.

Whatever the dealers have on the lot, that's what is at the show?

Our autoshow used to be pretty cool. Now it's really crappy.

Their is usually a chrysler concept. None from ford or gm.

You guys in detroit,la,chicago, and ny don't know how good you have it.