Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Next year's NAIAS

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2002, 05:11 PM

Post Next year's NAIAS

Just for general information (Ted, FOG, & a few others here probally read this on another site I also visit).

I found out today DCX will in fact have at least 1 new RWD concept sedan at next season's auto shows as a preview to the upcomming LHX sedans (knowing DCX's history, maybe even the actual cars).

As we already know, GTO will be at Pontiac's display, Chevrolet will have a RWD concept coupe, Ford will intro Mach1 & possibly preview a derivitive of the new Mustang much like 93's Mach1 (speculating on my part). It stands to reason that if Chevy is displaying a RWD coupe, someone should be displaying a RWD sedan (I'm guessing Pontiac or Buick).

Should be quite a show.
Old 06-11-2002, 05:18 PM

Let me rephrase that. The DCX sedan concept was mentioned on another site about a month ago. Today from another source it was mentioned that the RWD sedan would likely be previewed at NAIAS.
Old 06-11-2002, 10:31 PM

Have you confirmed that the Chevy RWD Coupe will NOT be a Camaro?

If not, could this be the Camaro Concept that Lutz mentioned would show before the last 4th Gen Camaro is built???
Old 06-11-2002, 11:04 PM

Exclamation

I actually read that the Chevrolet coupe would be a 60s inspired design. So it could very well be, or it could be a pre-cursor to the C6.

------------------
"THE F_O_G HAS RISEN, AND WITH IT BEGINS THE DAWN OF A NEW ERA."

1967-2002, Thanks for 35 years of prestige and performance...... We look forward to the FUTURE.
Old 06-12-2002, 02:25 AM

now what if, the new concept car is really in fact our next Camaro? =)

This would be one of the biggest Kept secrets! Lets hope so.

------------------
93 Patriot Red Z28 - A4, 3.23 Gears
*Mods*: Hooker Super Competition Catback, Holley 58MM Throttle Body, Holley Powershot Filter, 160* Thermostat, A. Anderson Programming Chip, Aeromaks Cold Air Intake System

Audio: JVC KDSH77 HU, Infiniti Kappa 6.5"
Max's Patriot Red 93 Z

Time: 14.052@98.23, 2.193 60', Street Tires, Hot & Humid
Old 06-12-2002, 02:38 AM

I SO hope so. Something to do with the continuation of our car revealed at last hopefully (a Z28?! ) and it'll give the M*****g guys and all competition something to think about, heh heh. Get the best back in the game. Fast.

[This message has been edited by IZ28 (edited June 12, 2002).]
Old 06-12-2002, 11:03 AM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Darth Xed:
Have you confirmed that the Chevy RWD Coupe will NOT be a Camaro?

</font>
There is no way I can find out what it is or isn't, so I'd be lying if I said it was certainly Camaro or certainly Monte Carlo (I personally think it's Monte Carlo, but that's only a guess).

Most all the detailed info I can get on concept cars tends to come just before press introductions, or after a few insiders have seen it (ie: I knew about Belair last fall, but not Solstice because Solstice was done at the last minute).
Old 06-12-2002, 12:27 PM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by guionM:
There is no way I can find out what it is or isn't, so I'd be lying if I said it was certainly Camaro or certainly Monte Carlo (I personally think it's Monte Carlo, but that's only a guess).

Most all the detailed info I can get on concept cars tends to come just before press introductions, or after a few insiders have seen it (ie: I knew about Belair last fall, but not Solstice because Solstice was done at the last minute).
</font>
Well, maybe we can hold out hope on a killer Camaro concept showing up at the show!

Old 06-13-2002, 04:25 PM

Smile

My guess is that it will be the next Corvette. But just think about how awesome it would be if it was a 5th gen Camaro instead

------------------
-Joshua
1997 Bright Red T/A WS6 M6
I was thinking dagger. -Steve Nash
Old 06-14-2002, 07:52 PM

I wonder if this chevy coupe could be the low cost coupe with 60's corvette styling that was mentioned in the Chicago Tribune during the auto show there. It was to be shown in Chicago but wasnt since it wasnt driveable at that time.
Old 06-14-2002, 10:44 PM

Exclamation

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by gtjeff:
I wonder if this chevy coupe could be the low cost coupe with 60's corvette styling that was mentioned in the Chicago Tribune during the auto show there. It was to be shown in Chicago but wasnt since it wasnt driveable at that time.</font>

That is exactly what I was talking about! Thanks, I couldn't remember where I had picked that information up.

------------------
"THE F_O_G HAS RISEN, AND WITH IT BEGINS THE DAWN OF A NEW ERA."

1967-2002, Thanks for 35 years of prestige and performance...... We look forward to the FUTURE.
Old 06-15-2002, 12:12 AM

I hope this one turns out to be something special.

....remember how "awesome" we were all expecting the BelAir to be?
Old 06-15-2002, 08:58 PM

Just found out that Chrysler's LX car, the New Yorker, is what is likely to be previewed at next year's NAIAS. Still don't know about Dodge's LX.
Old 06-17-2002, 12:15 PM

Yeah, knowing Chrysler, the showcars will probably be thinly disguised production cars.
Like they did before the current generation LH's.

About the "Chevy Coupe": I don't think it will have anything to do with Camaro or Monte Carlo.
It may be a styling exercise to showcase where Chevy hopes to go taping into styling themes from the 60's (arguably, Chevys best era).
Think clean sheet styling mule.
A statement car.
Think of it this way:
remember when Cadillac showed the EVOQ?
They basicaly said that all Cadillac's will follow the themes established by it.
And soon afterwards, we got the CTS and so on...
The stylists are working hard to bring the styling direction at Chevrolet back to what it should be. They need a showcar to demonstrate what they are up to, and where the next Chevys are going.

It would be sweet if it where a Camaro though!

------------------
---Ted Krygier--&gt;

TED ONLINE
Old 06-17-2002, 06:56 PM

Maybe this new car will be the compact rear drive import fighter????

Quick Reply: Next year's NAIAS